Pine Marten takes plate as well as cake ?

dinners

In Memoriam
Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
We've pine martens out the front of the cottage and the two things they love are either cake (chocolate) or some jam. Last night I left some cake on a plate and this morning the plate was nowhere to be seen. I'm a bit puzzled to say the least as it was a heavy Denby tea plate. Deer and sheep do come right up to the door as do mink but what on earth will take a plate away ?

Do you have any foxes visiting?

Over a number of years we have things moved over night in the garden -

I left a pair of old trainers outside and one ended half way down the garden,
a plastic box for clothes pegs took a similar "walk". The only largish animals we get in the garden (other than the odd cat) are foxes.

We overlook a cemetery and have seen foxes carrying flowers, plants and other things people leave on graves.

To be honest I think this is unlikely even for a fox. The deer and sheep are big enough but I can't see them doing it, and the pine marten and mink are too small.

This looks like a good reason to get a trail camera;)

Dave

PS Never knew pine martens like cake, must try it sometime.

I remember someone telling me that Pine Martens were rather partial to custard creams and peanut butter.

The only time I ever saw one was when the camera was stuck on a tripod with a 10x ND filter doing a very long exposure. I turned around to see a Pine Marten standing in the middle of the path watching me. It watched me right up to the moment the camera was ready to take its pic and it legged it. I swear I heard it laughing :bang:

Yes we get foxes visiting and also otters although the otters don't go for cake. I put a baking tray out last night smeared in jam with a bit of chocolate in the middle but no footprint. This is the cottage to give you some idea of the location. We've stayed here on and off for 6 years or so....

http://liddesdalecottage.co.uk/index.html

A stunning part of the country, Phil and it looks like you could be having some good weather too.

Hope you get some good shots.

Dave

Keep putting the plates out as i need more for my set, also any teapots and cream jugs gratefully received.

Billy the Burglar, :exit:

Cuddy said:
Keep putting the plates out as i need more for my set, also any teapots and cream jugs gratefully received.

Billy the Burglar, :exit:

Well I've decided that it might be my seal pal. He pops up to say hello every time I go out the door and they do have a thing for plate spinning lol. Pics will have to stay on the camera till I get home but I think I have a few decent ones of my pal the seal and a crap (but firm ID) of a golden eagle over the house. Drawn a blank with the otters so far but I think the plate mystery could lie at their door.

Do you have any foxes visiting?

Over a number of years we have things moved over night in the garden -

I left a pair of old trainers outside and one ended half way down the garden,
a plastic box for clothes pegs took a similar "walk". The only largish animals we get in the garden (other than the odd cat) are foxes.

We overlook a cemetery and have seen foxes carrying flowers, plants and other things people leave on graves.

To be honest I think this is unlikely even for a fox. The deer and sheep are big enough but I can't see them doing it, and the pine marten and mink are too small.

This looks like a good reason to get a trail camera;)

Dave

PS Never knew pine martens like cake, must try it sometime.

I honeymooned near Argyll Forest in the west of Scotland earlier this year - we were strongly advised not to leave shoes/boots/wellies outdoors overnight as the foxes have a habit of taking them. Seems they're attracted by the smell......

Just a thought, but is it okay to give them chocolate? I know it's poisonous for dogs, although I can't imagine they would eat it if it was harmful... :thinking:

Just a thought, but is it okay to give them chocolate? I know it's poisonous for dogs, although I can't imagine they would eat it if it was harmful... :thinking:

Good point.

My dogs will eat chocolate given the chance but I don't let them.

Not sure about full on chocolate for pine martens if I'm honest. I've only even given the ones we get at the cottage very dry chocolate flavour sponge. To be honest the Jam works better or peanut butter.

They have a very varied taste although they do seem to have a sweet tooth.

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/british-wildlife/how-feed-mammals-your-garden

Last edited:
Sounds more like a 2 legged fox to me...:)

Surely Samantha's singing career hasn't bombed so much as she needs to resort to tea leaving the plates people put out with food on for the wildlife?
I say she should've stuck to Page 3.

Back