Pink Moon?

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone know if we should be able to see this from the UK tonight and if so what time?

I'm based in the North West if that helps.

I've looked at a lot of websites regarding this but can't find one that tells you whether you can see it in the UK and if so, when?

Thanks
Mike

A bit more information: a "pink moon" is a total lunar eclipse. Obviously that can only happen exactly at full moon. And obviously that means the moon will be rising at sunset and setting at sunrise. If the moon is above the horizon - and therefore the sun is below the horizon - at your location at the exact time of full moon, you'll see the eclipse (clouds permitting); otherwise not.

The moon is exactly full at 08:42 BST tomorrow morning (Tuesday 15th). However, in the UK at present, sunrise is around 06:00-06:30 BST and sunset is around 19:50-20:20 BST, depending on where you are. So at the exact time of the full moon, the sun will be up and therefore the moon will be down. The total eclipse actually lasts for just over an hour, but it won't start until after the moon has set from the UK. If you're up before dawn you might just catch the early part of the partial phase before the moon sets, but it won't be anything much to see.

There's a good animation and more information on Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_2014_lunar_eclipse

Last edited:
The Photographers Ephemeris is your friend.
look HERE

Back