Pipex/Tiscali users

I got my mac code today so I phoned to get switched over when I'm told my line can only handle 2mb. I used to get 6.5mb with Pipex and the adsl checkers were saying the same yesterday. Today I get my mac code and I've dropped to 2mb??? Current speed tests are showing only 700k which is just pants :(

Snap! the day I got my mac code from Pipex 24.1.08 my speed also dropped from 6.5mb to 1.3mb, I guess their taking a huff. Excuse is there is maintenance going on within Pipex...acording to Tech support then their computer systems supposedly crashed while I was talking to them on phone. I just lost the plot a bit and told him ti P"%s off then hung up on them. Get connected to sky on the 5th

Frank when you phoned sky did they say what your max speed would be?

Cut a long story short Pipex have marked my line as 2mb max and are blaming BT for it. I now have to wait another 2 weeks for Pipex to raise a fault with BT before I can migrate or I'll be stuck with a 2mb limit on speed....

Right now the best choice seems to be sell my house and buy a new one, I think it will be slightly less frustrating :(

According to their bumph and online test they say I can get up to 8mb tho normally 6.5 it was with pipex. Pipex say it's maintenance within Pipex thats causing my drop in speed, another tech says it's BT maintenance at my exchange...who am I to believe. If the speed Sky is as still slow I will not be paying Sky either, contract or no contract.

If you were getting higher speeds before I see no reason why it can't be done again, I suspect something illegal or dodgy going on here. It seems a coincidence that both you and I get our mac codes and we both get our connection speeds reduced dramatically when they email our mac codes....Nah something stinks here, I'll let you know how my changeover goes next week (hopefully). Meanwhile since you are changing ISP's I found a useful tip getting a better constant speed with your new isp/exchange bearing in mind the first few days are usually good then speed is reduced, perhaps you already know how http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=703123 2nd post down

Something has changed, slightly. My line report now says I can get at least 2mb and possibly up to 8mb so maybe Pipex have removed the cap that was on there earlier.

I got the same story about engineers at working at the exchange because I'd been moved over to Tiscali and that I was now in the 10 day training period. I pointed out that I was moved over 2 weeks ago so the 10 days were long gone and as my connection hasn't been dropped I was told "Oh, they were just completing the change over". Who writes these scripts? :LOL:

I'm going to call BT engineers in the morning and see if I can get my line checked and maybe reset. Failing that I might just take a walk to the exchange and see if I can't blag them into checking everything is alright, a box of cream cakes should do it ;)

I got fed up with being fobbed off by excuse after excuse, the tiscali buy over was the last straw for me so I jumped ship.

I was that ****ed off with pipex that in the end I got a friend to call in posing as me to request the mac code.

Mystery solved... possibly...

I've found out that I was moved to a datastream pipe at the exchange which explains the terrible speeds and the 2mb marker on the line. So fingers crossed migrating to a ipstream provider will get me back to decent speeds and none of the routing issues.

Pipex users seems to have been properly stiffed with this one :(

More than likely, the news might not be much better with Sky - if they have LLU'd your exchange then you'll be datastream with them as well - only their connect package is ipstream.

http://www.proweb.net/proweb_ipstream.html

for details of what's happened to our speed :(

Go and get Virgin Media Broadband, its excellent and tbh i would never go back to ADSL again after having cable broadband.

Ok, look at the palm of your hand and then bring it rapidly towards your forehead in a slapping motion - at the same time shout Doh!

No cable in my area :(

Used to be with Telewest before Virgin took over, speeds were not great.

My daughter has Virgin 4 mb along with tv. She is getting download speeds of less than 1 mbit in the evenings. She notices that it's always at 4 pm till after midnight that the speed slows down. On complaining about being capped they said it was because she was a heavy user of P2P and probably downloading too many movies and games, also commenting that it was illegal. I'd be suing them for comments like that.
She does'nt use p2p let alone know what p2p is and the kids are too young to know what to do with it. It's mainly used for kids cartoon sites like cbeebies,educational stuff and her shopping sites .
Virgin are not interested and have tarred her with same brush as all other folk downloading movies etc. I'll stay away from them thanks.

Pipex have increased my speed a little more today, 4.5 mb, used to be 6.5 then 1.3mb for the past few days..still it's better than nothing I suppose.

My speed leapt up today as well - it's a staggering 970 kbps now... awesome! Roll on migration day (y)

How did you go about cancelling Pipex ? did you have to write to them? just noticed on their T&C thats the only way you can do it, even though it says you can cancel by phone ! They are renowned for taking payments after cancellation as well !

I called for my Mac code and I was told that my account would be cancelled only if I migrated within 30days - if I did nothing then everything would stay the same. I then got an email telling me the phone service was being cancelled :bang:

As soon as I get my migration date I'll call and make sure I'm up to date with payments then I'll cancel the DD via my online banking.

I called for my Mac code and I was told that my account would be cancelled only if I migrated within 30days - if I did nothing then everything would stay the same. I then got an email telling me the phone service was being cancelled :bang:

As soon as I get my migration date I'll call and make sure I'm up to date with payments then I'll cancel the DD via my online banking.

Cool thanks PXL8 :)

I cancelled the first time by phone Ian, and requested my mac code at the same time. When I phoned a week later they had no record of my phone call, Obviously the lazy advisor was doing her nails or something else. I then requested it again and told them to cancel my broadband, I followed it up with a email and recorded delivery letter so there was no excuse a second time

I have had the same Pipex problem - speed dropping to around 2Mb whereas before the Tiscali fiasco I was getting 6.5Mb.
BUT I've just gone onto the BT broadband site (where you can sign up for a broadband deal) and their line checker is also showing I'll only get a max of 2Mb!!
So it seems to be BT, not Pipex.
Anyone else checked this??

It seem this happens with anyone who's been moved over to a datastream service. If you change back to an ISP that are offering IPstream (such as BT) you should be fine (y)

They seem to have sorted my speed now, I'm back to normal @6.9mb did a test a few mins ago

229697746.png
[/URL][/IMG] Thought I was destined for the slow lane :cautious: Phew!

Well i am with nildram who were part of the pipex group, who like pipex im sure are now part of tiscali. I can reach the canon self service page fine from here. Done a tracert test and doesnt seem to go through any tiscali servers, just pipex servers. Hope this helps.

Woohoo! Goodbye Pipex! got connected to Sky Monday, 1 day early. Speed aound 6.5 which was what Pipex were giving before they played silly beggars. Saving about 15 quid on what we were before.
All in all a pretty painful migration but their email system has just changed, I've not sussed it out yet cos it's late. I think googlemail has something to do with it. Maybe time to get my own domain name and hosting plan with smtp.

Quick update on my Pipex migration :)

Phoned them Tuesday to ask for Mac code, had the usual "we have some special offers running at the moment, we may be able to beat your new deal" i said "if you can beat my current deal ill give you 10 MORE a month than i pay you now for a the same service ! lol they sniggered, i told them "i work for BT now its FREE" their response "ah ok we will get your MAC code to you within 5 days" Next day ive got it :) BT are installing it next friday for me :) top banana, i dare say service could be not the best out there, but for free im quite happy, plus i have had 2mb for so long the 6mb i will be getting will seem fast ;)

Back