Place names.....there certainly are some odd ones..

Edit My Images
No
I was looking at Flightradar24 and on Newfoundland are .........

Conception Bay South
Placentia
Dildo
Come by Chance
Swift Current

Last edited:
'Tweebuffelsmeteenskootmorsdoodgeskietfontein'. It's a place name in South Africa, and Afrikaans for 'the spring/natural fountain where two buffalo were killed with a single shot ...' I love it! :D

'Tweebuffelsmeteenskootmorsdoodgeskietfontein'. It's a place name in South Africa, and Afrikaans for 'the spring/natural fountain where two buffalo were killed with a single shot ...' I love it! :D

LlanfairPG (too lazy to copy & paste full name) AFAIK also has a literal translation meaning.

Is language "an education" :)

LlanfairPG (too lazy to copy & paste full name) AFAIK also has a literal translation meaning.

Is language "an education" :)
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch - [The] church of [St.] Mary (Llanfair) [of the] pool (pwll)[22][a] of the white hazels (gwyn gyll) near [lit. "over against"] (go ger) the fierce whirlpool (y chwyrn drobwll) [and] the church of [St.] Tysilio (Llantysilio) of the red cave (-ogo[f] goch)

Now I'm not convinced one is any more "educated" by that...

Come on man, have you no soul ;)

That and the previously mentioned SA place name are illustrative that many (all?) place names have origins from a simpler time.

Furthermore, it is not just western based linguistics, AFAIK the Japanese written language (not too sure about the spoken) have literal meaning or is it artistically alliterative i.e. the pictograms have origins in symbols for the likes of....river, land, mountain etc.

IMO every day is or can be a 'school day' :D

Come on man, have you no soul ;)

That and the previously mentioned SA place name are illustrative that many (all?) place names have origins from a simpler time.

Furthermore, it is not just western based linguistics, AFAIK the Japanese written language (not too sure about the spoken) have literal meaning or is it artistically alliterative i.e. the pictograms have origins in symbols for the likes of....river, land, mountain etc.

IMO every day is or can be a 'school day' :D
It was a little tongue in cheek... I've actually driven a few hundred kilometer detour to go to Tweebuffelsfontein - which is the shortened version of the South African place name.

There’s a. s***terton, a Dildo and on Orkney there’s a Twatt. AFAIR there was a member here who had Twatt’s gps coordinates as a custom user name

I've stayed in Penistone Yorkshire
Loose in Kent, where all the Loose women live
Pratts Bottom of course

Reactions: Nod
Anus, France.
f*****g, Austria.

And God bless America :D
Bacon - Washington
Bacon - Texas
Bacon - Ohio
Bacon - Missouri
Bacon - Indiana
Bacon - Idaho

Reactions: Nod
South Africa has a town called Hell........you have to be very determined to get to it, as very much isolated and a single road in to it!

Last edited:
If it still runs, you can get from Sevenoaks by bus to Holland without leaving the country
Imberbusus on the way to the Lavingtons usually display Brazen Bottom, being the name of a farm en route
Dorset has lots of place names with piddle and puddle, such as Tolpuddle and Piddlehinton as well as the Wallops, such as Nether Wallop

Anus, France.
f*****g, Austria.

And God bless America :D
Bacon - Washington
Bacon - Texas
Bacon - Ohio
Bacon - Missouri
Bacon - Indiana
Bacon - Idaho
Been to the one in Austria.... all the roads to F~~~~~~g are called F#####gweg....

Nearby in Germany there is a mountain called w#@k

They are all true (y)
Yes, the name existed, recently changed to f*****g - the swear filter has kicked in on this site, in the town's name 'ck' has been replaced by 'gg'

Last edited:
There was an incident a while back where a hang glider crashed into Great Cockup Fell, Cumbria

A few Irish ones:

Doodys Bottoms - Wicklow
Bastardstown - Wexford
Fannystown - Wexford
Muff - Donegal,
Kill - Kildare,
Hospital - Limerick [ironically this village doesn't have any medical facilities!]
Dicksboro - Kilkenny

South East Devon has Inner Ting Tong and Outer Ting Tong. The rather less whimsically named Black Dog is towards the North of the county.

Cornwall has Ting Tang which used to be a yard of the former Redruth and Chasewater railway, nearby is the former Ding Dong mine
Wetwang near Driffield Yorkshire
Sandy Balls caravan park near Fordingbridge, New Forest

Last edited:
Staffordshire has a village called Apedale. It always makes me think it should be an area in a zoo or safari park, and

north of Bromsgrove is Lickey End.

Dave

On Bodmin Moor, Brown Willy is uncomfortably close to Cat's Hole...

Dorset has the River Piddle.

In another thread (will post a link here if I find it again), there's a reference to a chao who has recently completed a moped tour of assorted rudely named towns/villages/places for charity.

Follow the link that's shortly after the 1329 date near the top of this Wiki article for a once common street name that would now be picked up by the norty word filter here... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grape_Lane

Now I'm not convinced one is any more "educated" by that...
The educational part is that it was purely made up by the London & North Western Railway as a tourist attraction in the 1840s. The village is historically only Pwllgwyngyll and the parish is Llanfair Pwllgwyngyll.

There is also a Bell End in Stourbridge.

There's Butthole Lane in Shepshed.

Twatt is too far away to visit annoyingly. I have visted Wincle in Cheshire just for the name.

Somewhere in my negs or slides are shots of me beside the village sign for Skinias (pronounced skinny ass) and Mrs Nod beside the one for Lardas. More correctly, the shots are of us beside the exit signs for the villages which in Greece are the village name crossed out.

Some years ago, one of our transatlantic cousins REALLY got the hump when I stated that Heaven and Hell are both in the good ole US of A. I gave them the coordinates.

There's a village in Scotland (Perth and Kinross) called Dull. Someone on the council must have had a sense of humour when they twinned it with Boring in Oregon, USA.

In Oregon there are towns called..Drain, Idiotville and Riddle.

There are a few Bell Ends around the country too......

Over here there’s W@$kdorf, home of the Young Boys football team who recently beat Man U.

Not a place but a person, good friend of mine is called Harry F&$@ks good thing he’s a stand up comic.

Over here there’s W@$kdorf, home of the Young Boys football team who recently beat Man U.

Not a place but a person, good friend of mine is called Harry F&$@ks good thing he’s a stand up comic.
Switzerland ? I envy you. What a beautiful country to live in.

I've always thought 'Young Boys' was an odd name for a football club. I found out why..The name was intended to mimic that of the Basel-based club Old Boys who where the first team they played against after forming at the University of Bern .They're very good. They beat Ronaldo..Pogba..Fernandes..Sancho etc..oh yes..and de Gea......lol.

I was very impressed when I saw this Swiss drummer group perform at the Edinburgh Festival about 4 years ago. The Top Secret Drum Corps. https://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Top_Secret_Drum_Corps.html

If anyone reading this hasn't heard of them do a Google/Youtube. Maybe include Edinburgh Tattoo/Festival.

Back