Places of interest - Newcastle

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Hello all, we're visiting Newcastle day after boxing day for a couple of days and i'm keen to get some night shots of the millenium bridge but having never been there before, can anyone recommend some other local sites to visit/photograph at night. Merry Christmas, Dave.

Perhaps the Big Market if you want people.

Not sure how sensible wandering around the Bigg Market with a camera around your neck might be. Most people you encounter around the bars might be a little :nuts: and it can kick off quite quickly.

If there was one place I would avoid when out in Newcastle at night with a camera, it would be the Bigg Market.

Last edited:
Thanks for the commments guys, massively appreciated. Should keep me busy (and away from the shops). Should anyone fancy meeting up either 27/28th Dec then please drop me a message. Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

One or two great churches around the city centre ....

not to mention the keep and the cathedral (st nicholas) - the keep is down beside the station (actually the station is good too) and Bessie Surtees' house on the quayside or the red house pub - do a google search for them- and some cool sculptures in the civic centre, The theatre royal is worth a look, and if you continue down dean street you get an excellent view of a railway viaduct going over the street...

hope it's ok to post this pic - dean Street with St Nicholas' cathedral in the background

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/newcastlelibraries/4076310384/]
03063a:Dean Street Newcastle upon Tyne c.1870 by Newcastle Libraries, on Flickr[/URL]

The Big Market is dead these days if you want pics of run down closed pubs head here.
Otherwise the quayside is the place to be or St Marys light house at Whitley Bay if it's still lit up?

A visit to St Nicholas cathedral should be on your list.No problems taking photos here,tripods allowed,full access,no permits required and pleasant staff.A small donation would probably be appreciated.

As it's that time of year, you should probably go see the Fenwicks windows (on Northumberland Street). I think this is the first year I haven't seen them but it's normally worth a look. Not sure what the theme is this year though.

Thanks again guys, really looking forward to this and the local weather shows Wednesday being the clearer day fingers crossed. Also, what's the food like for a family of 5 on a budget? Thinking of eating in China Town yes/no?? Thanks guys. Dave.

I don't eat Chinese food so I can't comment on China Town for food but there's The Gate not far away from there which has the usual Frankie & Benny's, Pizza Hut, etc... sort of chains (probably not suitable for any younger family members later at night as there's loads of bars in there too - it's conveniently near the camera shops though). There's some nice restaurants down Grey Street past the theatre and a fair few good ones down by the train station and Centre For Life (outdoor ice rink there if you fancy a go). If you're stuck for food ideas, tourist info is at the bottom of Central Arcade and should be able to help.

Someone else mentioned St Mary's being lit up at night. Hasn't been the past few times I've been there but it's still worth a trip for photos - especially if you time it right with the tide.

it's been 10 years since I left so not sure about now but chinatown has always been good for food - def. worth a try - the red dragon was our fave

also good for photos tbh

if it's still there go into rosie's bar at the end of stowell st (chinatown main drag) and see if it still has the dolls heads in, they might let you take a few pics

also the old city wall runs around chinatown - look for signs to black friars in that area - some nice photo ops there

Cheers guys, leaving shortly and well excited. Will hopefully eat well and take some great photo's and will post once back home. Thanks again, it's very kind. Dave, Happy New Year.

Didn't go to plan annoyingly. Waited for the 2nd day as weather forecast was betteronly for it to be wrong. Weather was awful so didn't actually get any night photography done whatsoever. On a positive note, we fell in love with Newcastle and spent 2 very enjoyable days in Chinatown nom nom. Thanks again for the shouts and roll on the summer!!

Back