Places to visit and photograph in the UK

All added. Bit more information for each would have been nice :p :LOL:

df, I'll add it if you give me some locations and some more details ;)

All added. Bit more information for each would have been nice :p :LOL:

Good god man how much do you need ;)

Seriously though, before anybody journeys out I would suggest checking the listed website for upto date details. The data herein has been compiled from said websites but could well be out of date within days.

Slimbridge:

Where:
Near Evesham. 10 minutes off Junction 13 [or 14] M5

Price:
Adult: £7.95
Concession: £6.15 (over 65 years, full-time students, unemployed)
Child: £4.35 (4-16 years)
Family: £22.15 (2 adults & 2 children, 4-16 years)
Children (under 4 years): Free
Essential helpers assisting disabled visitors: Free

Parking : On site.

Food / Drink / Toilets:
Restaurant on site.

Photograph opportunities:
Different bird area's broken down into a series of walks. Purpose built hides &
pens are abundant. Seasonal activities including duckling walks & feeding events.

Opening Hours:
Winter (November to March)
9.30am to 5.00pm (last admission 4.30pm)

Summer (April to October)
9.30am to 5.30pm (last admission 5.00pm)

Stourhead

Where:
Stourton, Warminster, Wiltshire BA12 6QD

Price:
Adult £11.60, Child £5.80, Family £27.60.

Parking :
On site.

Food / Drink / Toilets:
Restaurant on site.

House and estabilished gardens.

Opening Hours:

Garden
All year Round 09:00–19:00
House
15 Mar–2 Nov 08 11:30–4:30 Mo,Tu,Fr,Sa,Su

King Alfreds Tower

Where:
Signs from the B3092 about 2½ miles north of Mere. Somerset

Price:
Adult £2.60, Child £1.40, Family £6

Parking:
Nearby [100m walk]

Photograph Oppurtunities:
The general area including the tower are very photogenic, you can
also ascend the tower and get fantastic views of the surrounding area.

Opening Hours:
15 Mar–2 Nov 08 11:30–4:30

Monkey World

Where:
LONGTHORNS, WAREHAM, DORSET BH20 6HH

Price:
Adult £10.50
Student [NUS Student Card required] £8.75
Child [3-15 years old] £7.25
Family [2 Adults, 2 Children] £31.00
Single Parent [1 Adult, 2 children] £21.50

Parking:
Onsite

Food / Drink / Toilets:
Onsite

Monkeys, oodles of lovely cuddly monkeys :)

Opening Hours:
10:00-17:00 [10:00-18:00 July-August]

Glastonbury Abbey

Where:
Glastonbury. Somerset

Price:
Adults £5
Children [5-15] £4.50
Family [2 adults, 2 children] £14.50

Parking:
Nearby

The abbey [rebuted to be the last resting place of King Alfred is a fantastic piece
or architecture.

Opening Hours:

January: 10:00-16:30
February: 10:00-17:00
March: 9:30-17:30
April: 9:30-18:00
May: 9:30-18:00
June: 9:00-18:00
July: 9:00-18:00
August: 9:00-18:00
September: 9:30-18:00
October: 9:30-17:00
November: 9:30-16:30
December: 10:00-16:30

Wells Cathedral

Where:
Wells. Somerset

Price:
Donations of the following are suggested;
Adult: £5.50
Child/Student: £2.50
Senior Citizen: £4.00

Parking:
Nearby

Food / Drink / Toilets:
Onsite

Photograph Oppurtunites:
A classic cathedral in beautiful surroundings. The small city is also a fantastic place for photos.

Opening Hours:
April-September: 7.00am - 7.00pm
October - March: 7.00am - 6.00pm

In reference to THE MIDLANDSYou have a wealth of things to see.You just need to open your eyes.The Botanical Gardens near where i live is world famous and houses many plants and flowers.We have more canals than Venice.The Bull Ring shoping area.

To add to your North west section there are plenty of National trust properties in the NW, Dunham Massey near Altrincham is particularly nice, especially if you get there early before the crowds descend , I've photographed deer, squirrels water birds, rabbits and architecture there, a subscription the the national trust is well worth the money

A comment on Formby point, at the moment you're very unlikely to see a squirrel there as they've been wiped out by the squirrel pox :( we were there last bank holiday and didn't see one, a couple of years ago there were dozens, apparently there's only a few left now, still a nice walk in the woods though :)

Anyone got any information on NON touristy places in the south east? That would be great :)

Hi
Not sure exactly where it is , near Yeovil in Somerset, AFAIR
Cricket St Thomas wildlife park.
Excellent little place with really well looked after animucks.
What I enjoyed about it was that the majority of the enclosures were at the bottom of a valley and the path looked down into the enclosures, so no wire fences to peer through.
Check it out
DAVE

Cricket St Thomas wildlife park

Few more details for you :)

http://www.cstwp.co.uk/

Where:
Around 5 miles east of Chard.

Price:
Adults: £8:75 [peak] £7:75 [off-peak] £6:00 [Winter]
Kids [3-14 yrs] £6:50 [peak] £5:50 [off-peak] £4:25 [Winter]
Family (2 Ad & 3 Kids) £27.50 [peak] £25:00 [off-peak] £20:00 [Winter]

Food / Drink / Toilets:
Restaurant on site.

Animals etc.

Opening Hours:
10:00am - 6:00pm or 4.30pm in winter. Last admission at 4:00pm (3:00pm winter)

SOMEONE SHOULD CLEAN THIS THREAD UP!!! ADMIN GET ONTO IT :p

Glencoe: http://www.glencoescotland.com/p/v/mountains/
Breathtaking Scenery. Loads of parking spots and facilities all along the route.
If your going.... Take extra memory cards with you.. you will need them :p

Loch Earn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loch_Earn
Great Scenery shots.. there is also a sailing club and a watersports club if your looking for stuff like that.

Loch Lomond: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loch_Lomond
Scotlands best known loch.. Great scenery, idyllic villages up the east side of the loch....

Oban: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oban
west coast fishing village. great place for a day out and loads of different things to get snap happy at... It's also the gateway to the islands of the west coast and has a busy ferry terminal..

Skye: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skye
Mull : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Mull
the kids will know about this place (balamory)

South England

Marwell Zoo

Where:
Marwell is situated just off the B2177 (between Colden Common and Bishops Waltham) - SO21 1JH

Price:
Adult: £14.50
Concession: £12.50
Child: £10.50 (3-16 years)
Family: £46.50 (2 adults & 2 children)

Food / Drink / Toilets:
Plenty on site

Loads of animals (unsurprisingly), plenty in wide open enclosures

Opening Hours:
Open every day other than Christmas Day from 10am to 6pm

London

The Southbank

A walk along the southbank from Westminster to Tower Bridges provides some great oppertunities including Big Ben, London Eye, The Tate Modern, St. Pauls, The Millenium Bridge plus all the others, The Globe Theatre, HMS Belfast, the Gherkin, City Hall and The Tower of London. Best of all it's free and can be done day or night as everything is well lit.

Richmond Park

An early morning visit is well worth the effort. The deer herds there, while not tame, are also not wild. Which means you should be able to get a lot closer than normal, providing you don't startle them.

Kew Gardens

Stunning place for flowers and plants, but the best times to visit are in the Spring and Autumn, when the place comes alive.

Museums

If the weather is not that great you can always head indoors. Exhibition Row in Knightsbridge is home to 3 of the Major London Museums, The Natural History Museum, The Science Museum and The Victoria and Albert Museum. There is also The British Museum near Tottenham Court Road and South of the River, the Imperial War Museum and The National Maritime Museum. These are only the main museums there are literally dozens of smaller ones to visit as well.

The City

The City of London is the financial center of London as opposed to The West End which is the tourist center. Avoid The City like the plague Monday to Friday, but on the Weekend the place is empty especially on a Sunday, when you can get some great shots. Places to see include The Gherkin, Lloyds Building, St. Pauls, The Bank of England, Smithfield Meat Market, Leadenhall Market and many other interesting buildings.

Parks and Heaths

Already mentioned Richmond Park, nearby to there is Wimbledon Common (see if you can catch sight of the lesser spotted womble). There is also Battersea Park, with it's childrens zoo. North of the river you have Hyde Park and St. James Park, Hamstead Heath and Regents Park among many others.

Greenwich

Greenwich Park offers some fantastic views across London along with having The National Maritime Museum, The Greenwich Observetory, and The Naval College. There is also the new Greenwich Wheel, similar to the London eye but on a slightly smaller scale, Greenwich Market, Blackheath, The Cutty Sark (now sadly covered over due to the recent fire, but hopefully restored soon) and the O2.

In short you are never stuck for something to photograph in London, I will probably add more to this at another time.

In Wirral Thurstaton hill if you cross over the road a large church at junction can then go down to country park.Number of opportunities , a bird hide at reception area,local scenery plus wild life and views of North WAles and the Dee estuary.Theres a cafe at entrance and small refreshments and toilets at visitor centre, plenty of parking free.
Llanberis in North Wales. Panoramic views from various points.Snowdon also at Llanberis lakeside an open museum with working areas cottages and other possible focal objects plus refreshments and toilets. Lakeside on Sundays the local model boat club meets with some excellent replicas of large shipping all on water sailing. Ask politely and they will arrange vessels for tog purposes nice guys.

My home town of Glasgow is a superb city to photograph, particularly the area around Park Circus and the University. The city centre is well worth a look, one pice of advice i would give is 'look up'!-There are some fantastic details to be captured.
York is also a favourite of mine, i try and go there as much as possible - the Cathedrals are an excellent test of my camera's abilities.
As for rural settings, The Highlands of Scotland are amazing. Areas i would focus on are Glencoe and the Western Highlands around Applecross-stunning scenery and some of the highest roads in Britan - not for the faint hearted. Cheers!

WALES:
Pembrokeshire coastal path is always lush, or the islands surrounding, skomer, skokholm, ramsay and cauldey.

Scotland

The Isle of May and The Bass Rock.

Both can be visited by boat tours which take you close in to the island. You get off on the Isle of May for 4 hours. I've not done the Bass rock trip for years... but if you get a nice day you can get fab pictures of Sea Birds. Ganets and Cormerants especially. Pluss the odd seal at both... And plenty Gulls.

The boats leave from Anstruther and North Berwich respectively.

Mark

Something that would be really helpful for this thread would be including whether there is access via public transport, for those of us who don't drive. A little bit of detail, whether it's "no - not at all", "yes, by train/bus" or "yes but you need to walk 30 mins from the nearest bus stop" etc.

MArcel, have you thought about one of those emaps with clickable pins in it that represent the locations. It might be a bit easier to use / sort.

EAST ANGLIA

River Orwell Estuary, Shotley for boats and wading birds and views of container ships across the water at Felixstowe.

Mistley,Essex for swans( lots of them).

Harwich, Essex for all sorts of boats and ships and lifeboat Go to Half Penny Pier where you can usually park out of holiday season and there is a cafe there.

By the way I think this is a great thread and its given me some ideas for my trip to North Wales next week.

Scotland

The Isle of May and The Bass Rock.

Both can be visited by boat tours which take you close in to the island. You get off on the Isle of May for 4 hours. I've not done the Bass rock trip for years... but if you get a nice day you can get fab pictures of Sea Birds. Ganets and Cormerants especially. Pluss the odd seal at both... And plenty Gulls.

The boats leave from Anstruther and North Berwich respectively.

Mark

Isle of May is Scottish National Heritage. Does that mean there are strict rules on photos like there are for National Heritage sites in England?

EAST ANGLIA

River Orwell Estuary, Shotley for boats and wading birds and views of container ships across the water at Felixstowe.

Mistley,Essex for swans( lots of them).

Harwich, Essex for all sorts of boats and ships and lifeboat Go to Half Penny Pier where you can usually park out of holiday season and there is a cafe there.

By the way I think this is a great thread and its given me some ideas for my trip to North Wales next week.

Harwich also has twin lighthouses and the village of Ramsey on the way in has a windmill! You can view shotley and Felixstowe from Ha'penny Pier :D

South West England

Gloucester Docks
http://www.gloucesterdocks.me.uk/

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=glo...,-2.248764&spn=0.077347,0.219383&z=12&iwloc=A

and to be totally sexist...
whilst you take some photos she can go shopping in the new Gloucester Quays development
http://www.gloucesterquays.co.uk/content/home.php

And whilst you're in Gloucester, don't forget the Cathedral.

2 College Green
Gloucester
Gloucestershire
GL1 2LR | contact
Tel: +44 (0) 1452 508 211

Admission Price: By donation - £3 requested

Months Open: Every Day 8am to after Evensong

Catering: Coffee Shop

Nearest Train Station : Gloucester (walkable)

Photo Opportunities : internal and external to the Cathedral, and the surrounding area.

Isle of May is Scottish National Heritage. Does that mean there are strict rules on photos like there are for National Heritage sites in England?

From their notes to visitors:

Photography
For those whose principal interest in visiting the island is in relation to photography, you should make arrangements in advance to get the required permit from SNH, Cupar, Fife office (on 01334 654038). This isn’t needed for those taking more casual photos, or those relating to birds in the hand whilst ringing.

Photography
For those whose principal interest in visiting the island is in relation to photography, you should make arrangements in advance to get the required permit from SNH, Cupar, Fife office (on 01334 654038). This isn’t needed for those taking more casual photos, or those relating to birds in the hand whilst ringing.

A bit vague as to what constitutes "casual photos" but it's something at least! Well done for getting the info. :)

I visited the Isle of May this year, had 2 DSLR's with me, one with the 100-400 the other with the 70-200 on, was not asked for any permits by the staff on the island, both were on display the whole time as did not take my bag around the island with me.

Photography

A bit vague as to what constitutes "casual photos" but it's something at least! Well done for getting the info. :)

Apologies if it's in here already but can anyone recomend 'must see's ' around harrogate and maybe a 20 mile max radius, both photographic or just interest? Many thanks.

hi is ther annywhere to get good pics in and around york area ????

Apologies if it's in here already but can anyone recomend 'must see's ' around harrogate and maybe a 20 mile max radius, both photographic or just interest? Many thanks.

Depends what your interests are, if it was walking/photography, there's loads of places of interest in the Yorkshire dales.

Others

York-particularly the Minster, Rail Museum, street entertainers.
Brimham Rocks
National Media Museum -Bradford, it's free and worth a morning or afternoon visit.
Fountains Abbey-Abbey, gardens and deer park
Ripon-Cathedral

just found this thread while looking for ideas to go in North Wales :)
Surprised nobody has suggested Chester Zoo excellent for Photography and more to see then you can do in a day :clap:
Pete

ESSEX

Hanning field reservoir
Tel 01268 71101
Oopening times 08:00-17:00
Address Hawkswood Road
Donwham
Billericay
Essex
CM11 1WT
No dogs allowed
Parking I am not sure at this adress as I park at the cafe on the water car park which is ok. I am also unsure of the facilities at this part
www.essexwt.org.uk there are some more places on this site

Danbury country park
Opening times 08:00 until dusk (check notice board for daily closing times)
Parking £2 for all day (there are 2 car parks 1 for the lake part and the other for the woodland)
Toilets, fishing and site office
Located on Woodall Road 4 miles east of Chelmsford and via A414 Sandon Road

www.essexcc.org.uk some places on this site

Back