Planet Earth ll

As usual the Daily Mail doesn't like to see the truth about the harsh reality of Nature, can't believe they published
this article !!!

Planet Earth II

Don't know whether to laugh or cry ...what tosh!

I felt the same when I saw it, ridiculous, next they will be moning about watching big cats etc kill for food :rolleyes:

Unusually for DM readers, the comments are quite reasonable!

Only frustration is that although they filmed it in 4k, we can't watch it in 4k yet :(

What quality is it Broadcast in?

Yes, but because it was shot in 4K the downrezzing process has more information to work with than material shot in HD has, i.e. effectively it's oversampling for HD, resulting in higher picture quality. Best quality broadcast HD I've ever seen, I think. (The test channel was a long time ago, and memories fade.) But in proper UHD-1 phase 2 it will be spectacular!

Last edited:
Been away for a week and just catching up on Ep3 before tonight.

OMG the camera work is just amazing and the Jag catching the Cayman is just incredible and totally out of the blue, the previous editing meant I expected it to be an otter. Just amazing.

This series just keeps on giving, take note Clarkson.

Just over an hour until 'Deserts' ... can't wait :)

any one watch Savage Kingdom ?
Some of the camera work on that is just stunning and amazing.

That desert Lion pride on Planet Earth II, damn radio collars again :banghead:

Yeah, pretty quick :)

Love to know how they managed to film the water just reaching the cliff and becoming a waterfall with the helicopter/drone. Timing and planning is something else. Makes my 3 hours waiting for a kingfisher pretty basic!

Yeah, pretty quick :)

Love to know how they managed to film the water just reaching the cliff and becoming a waterfall with the helicopter/drone. Timing and planning is something else. Makes my 3 hours waiting for a kingfisher pretty basic!

I said that at the time too, amazing planning and skill required. No pressure then :eek:

I love watching Planet Earth and the work behind the scenes, only a small amount we get to see at the end is just awe inspiring.

The DM are vultures and make me sick with their way out views to pull in the readers because they fall short when it comes to any form of actual journalism.

The words they use to 'tantalise' readers are just wrong in every sense, i pity people who read their paper.

and how did having collars on save them, they are still dead as was the only non related male shot by local tribesmen, only thing the radio collar did w
help them find the body
may as well take them all off then

Looks like it's going to be another great episode tonight. let's not get bogged down in collars! :)

Not as epic as the previous episodes (can anything beat the racer snakes?) but the camera works is constantly stunning, so much movement in every shot you wonder how they manage it in such close proximity to animals that don't want to be filmed.

Yep, should be another good hour of tv, there aren't many!

I did find it a bit odd last night that the end diaries section was about footage that wasnt in the actual program. (unless i missed something).
I would really have liked to see the diaries based on the harvest mouse footage doing its little acrobatics and tightrope walking. The close up and panning footage was impressive.

Whilst the photography is often stunning and David Attenborough's commentary as compelling as ever, I am surprised that no-one in this thread has mentioned the dreadful 'sound effects' that have been dubbed onto much of the footage. This really grates with me and is spoiling my enjoyment of the series.

Agree with Ben - whilst the 'diaries' section was very interesting, I thought I was going mad and had missed a significant section of the 'Grasslands' episode!

yes, i did notice that last night and thought it was a touch OTT with the mouse falling near the thorns and the sword sharpening sound effect.

Nigel ( @nigpd ) might be able to tell us whether the extras on the Blu-Ray set include more Diaries segments.

Whilst the photography is often stunning and David Attenborough's commentary as compelling as ever, I am surprised that no-one in this thread has mentioned the dreadful 'sound effects' that have been dubbed onto much of the footage. This really grates with me and is spoiling my enjoyment of the series.

Agree with Ben - whilst the 'diaries' section was very interesting, I thought I was going mad and had missed a significant section of the 'Grasslands' episode!

It's the only thing I dislike about Planet Earth II - which even with the dubbed on sounds, is still the best thing on telly by a mile at the moment, but it isn't only on this series that they've done it. They've been doing it for a long time - it's certainly present on all the BBC's David Attenborough series for the last few years - probably longer and probably on many others.
I've tried my best to ignore it this time, as the stunning photography more than makes up for it.
At least this time, most of the sound effects are enhancements of what you'd hear if you really were as close to the animals as the camera gets you, but what annoys me more is when they add sounds to things that are silent, like shoals of fish.

.......but what annoys me more is when they add sounds to things that are silent, like shoals of fish.

Quite....a lizards eyes swiveling, I would wager, is also a pretty much silent event, and I know from first hand experience a flying lizard does not sound like a jet!

Depends on whether it's managed to achieve flatal ignition.

Absolutely love this series, but despite fantastic videography the sound score by Hans Zimmer is absolutely amazing. So much to love about this.

Back