Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
What ever next?
1 Burger / week one at a time is not even a snack!
1/4 slice of Bacon / day WTF use is that?

*So it looks like they are trying to make Veggie diet "compulsory" ..
* I wonder what else they can make compulsory ? :D

(* Oh and before the usual show up, taking offence or dissecting it to the nth degree The above are wry comments )

Will we be allowed to save our burgers and bacon so we can have a double bacon double burger? Ideally with double cheese? Do they specify the size of the burger?

While I could follow a vegan diet (and enjoy it for the most part), I like meat too much to abandon it.

There was an interesting point raised on local radio - once food miles are taken into account, cows' milk is less polluting than the alternatives. Not sure if that's true though - got home and turned off before I found out!

wry or rye?
:LOL: very good (y)

Do they specify the size of the burger?
Actually that's a good point, no I don't think did (y)

So we are expected to eat the cows food? they will obviously die of starvation :(
Dead bodies everywhere :(

But seriously for a minute if they are expecting "natural wastage" cows live for circa 20 years, assuming they aren't slaughtered or "Milked to death"
So if this was implemented today thats 20 years before it becomes effective.
And I *think* they are planning on a 2050 implementation.
Doubt I'll still be around...

From what I've read, this sort of thing is ideal for western europe and only some parts of other areas. Human edible crops need a lot of water; if it's not available, they won't grow. The stuff that will grow in those areas is only digestible by ruminants, so humans let them eat the scrub, then they eat the ruminants.

I don't eat burgers nor bacon, who wants to buy my share. If we all turned vegetarian the animals wouldn't have any food soon enough anyway. ;)

From what I've read, this sort of thing is ideal for western europe and only some parts of other areas. Human edible crops need a lot of water; if it's not available, they won't grow. The stuff that will grow in those areas is only digestible by ruminants, so humans let them eat the scrub, then they eat the ruminants.
Pretty much another hair brained scheme (y)

I don't eat burgers nor bacon,
Are you even human? :p

And I *think* they are planning on a 2050 implementation.

With a bit of luck (not sure if it'll be good or bad luck...) I'll still be able to chew by 2050 - if I'm still breathing! Just have to eat as much bacon and as many (proper!) burgers as possible in the meantime. :D

I could easily be (and was for 7 years) a vegetarian. Not through some "save the planet/animals standpoint; I just don't particularly love meat very much.

I suppose these days I'd be more pescatarian, as I do enjoy fish (but not "seafood").

It's vegans that bloody annoy me.
True veganism is nigh on impossible.

Just have to eat as much bacon and as many (proper!) burgers as possible in the meantime. :D
The whole thing is a ruse, to boost the sale of bacon and McD's :D

The only meat I eat is chicken or turkey breasts,
Once the cows sheep and pigs have all been slaughtered in the name of saving the planet, they'll be next :p

tuna or salmon.
And once the EU get total control of out fishing rights that's you screwed :D

The whole thing is a ruse, to boost the sale of bacon and McD's :D

MuckyD's? I did state "proper" burgers rather than indigestion in a bun!

What ever next?

(* Oh and before the usual show up, taking offence or dissecting it to the nth degree The above are wry comments )

Give us some context. I can't quite make sense of it.
The only meat I eat is chicken or turkey breasts, tuna or salmon.

I'd love most of that in their true genuine form. Not literal dragons or whatever they sell in the supermarkets. Lamb and some market fish seem to be the best.

Wasn't this supposed be about increasing lifespan too? Frankly I don't think I want an extra 10 years, judging by the quality of life most 80+ year olds have right now - given a choice I'd rather die of a good old heart attack while engaging in a bit of strenuous activity than gradually decline until I'm dribbling.

Wasn't this supposed be about increasing lifespan too? Frankly I don't think I want an extra 10 years, judging by the quality of life most 80+ year olds have right now - given a choice I'd rather die of a good old heart attack while engaging in a bit of strenuous activity than gradually decline until I'm dribbling.

That's the thing, of course there are a few 90 year olds in good shape but for most, quality of life is not great.

Someone once said: there isn't a pleasure in life worth giving up to spend another year in a nursing home.

Someone once said: there isn't a pleasure in life worth giving up to spend another year in a nursing home.

However if that "pleasure" makes your end days particularly miserable it might be something to think about. For example smoking --> lung cancer and so on. Not a nice way to go regardless of the age.

It's interesting: a bunch of proper scientists have looked into this and basically said "cut down on the whole meat thing or we all die in pretty nasty ways, the earth will be desolate and there's a very real chance the entire human race will become extinct. Not only will you literally save the planet, your life will be longer and more healthy.".

And people still go "bacon though".

...a bunch of proper scientists have looked into this ...the earth will be desolate ...the entire human race will become extinct...".

And people still go "bacon though".
I think that's typical of humans. Very much "me, me, me". Not many are altruistic and when push comes to shove, very few would put others ahead of themselves or their families. If humans ever stop thinking of themselves as belonging to a race, religion, colour, nationality etc, and start thinking of themselves as part of the human race, we might go towards making a difference for the future.

It's a mystery to me how importing exotic nuts and seeds is better for the planet than steak or lamb chops from a field a mile down the road.
The assumption seems to be that the animals we eat are directly competing for 'our' food.
This overlooks that beef sheep and dairy primarily eat grass growing in expansive areas not capable of growing crops we would eat.
Then bacon, again the assumption is that the pigs are eating grain which would otherwise be used for human consumption - a substantial percentage of grain is not up to scratch for flour etc, only certain varieties are acceptable and barley grown in many areas where wheat is problematic isn't used for human food at all apart from beer(?)
Much of the feed given to pigs and chickens is actually by-products otherwise more or less waste - this was always the case even when you kept a pig and chickens in the back garden.

What is it with BBC lately, they can't go a day with some kind of anti-meat or vegan propaganda piece.
Livestock production is an important industry in this country and a major export market too.

Last edited:
MuckyD's? I did state "proper" burgers rather than indigestion in a bun!
Yeah but you say burger and that's what immediately pops into most peoples head.
Its become synonymous, rather like "Dyson" or "Hoover"

I can't quite make sense of it.
What life, evolution, the universe or time travel?

It's interesting: a bunch of proper scientists have looked into this and basically said "cut down on the whole meat thing or we all die in pretty nasty ways, the earth will be desolate and there's a very real chance the entire human race will become extinct.
Man has been eating meat since he learned to kill animals, that must be ooo a couple of million years ago now,
Many "learned people" over the years have told us
the sun is dying,
some meteorite is about to crash into earth,
the CFC's have buggered the Ozone layer and we will burn ..
So far so good (y)

What is it with BBC lately, they can't go a day with some kind of anti-meat or vegan propaganda piece.
Livestock production is an important industry in this country and a major export market too.

This explains what's going on, orchestrated campaign backed by big business groups trying to sell you stuff.
BBC and the rest glibly fall for it
https://www.efanews.eu/item/6053-the-eat-lancet-commission-s-controversial-campaign.html
Pretty shocking
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world...nxOuzM37XumLWfbrHZ9f8KRHsFtTql3sjud3ZxMdk-7YU

Last edited:
Looking at the ingredients of a lot of vegan stuff ... seems to be full of chemicals!!! :wideyed:

Without having to put a lot of effort in, it seems to be very difficult to eat a healthy vegan diet without supplements ... especially calcium.

Man has been eating meat since he learned to kill animals

Longer than that, I expect. "We" might have eaten insects that we had caught ourselves but I'd guess that we started eating fresh carrion before we realised that we could kill it ourselves!

That's the thing, of course there are a few 90 year olds in good shape but for most, quality of life is not great.

There should be an opt-out available if wanted/needed. While life is generally better than the alternative, the last part of it (life) is all to often pretty bloody miserable but the sufferers are forced to endure it, being plied with a cocktail of drugs to extend their existence (not really any king of life, just existence) and try to reduce their suffering.

Looking at the ingredients of a lot of vegan stuff ... seems to be full of chemicals!!! :wideyed:

Without having to put a lot of effort in, it seems to be very difficult to eat a healthy vegan diet without supplements ... especially calcium.
And to elaborate a little
Proteins from plants are 'second class' proteins.
Proteins from animals are 'first class' proteins – they provide all the essential amino acids, including those that the body can't make.
Longer than that, I expect.
But "Man" only appeared a couple of million years ago :p

"We" might have eaten insects that we had caught ourselves
Insects are part of the animal kingdom

Last edited:
But "Man" only appeared a couple of million years ago :p

Homo sapiens is believed to have emerged as a species somewhere between 100 and 200 thousand years ago. Thinking about it, they were probably already eating their own kills before the species differentiated from its ancestors.

Insects are part of the animal kingdom

But don't need much hunting!

Homo sapiens is believed to have emerged as a species somewhere between 100 and 200 thousand years ago.
Homo erectus 1.8 million years ago

But don't need much hunting!
How are you going to catch them without hunting for them in shrubs under leaf litter etc?

Thought to have died out about 140,00 years ago.
BUT EARLY man was on this earth hunting and gathering nearly 2 million years ago, way before your stated time ..
Hence my first post and your subsequent arguing :p

TBH, I'm surprised our local (apparent!) creationist hasn't pointed out that Man was created within the past 10,00 years (or so [not forgetting the extra few days!]…)

TBH, I'm surprised our local (apparent!) creationist hasn't pointed out that Man was created within the past 10,00 years (or so [not forgetting the extra few days!]…)

Who, me? No need - we all KNOW the dinosaur bones are fake. o_O :troll:

What ever next?

I am vegetarian, you can have my share for 20000 forum points :D

Proteins from animals are 'first class' proteins – they provide all the essential amino acids, including those that the body can't make.

Yes. I expect I'll die in a hundred years or so. If only I could find a decent source or protein.

Or eat rice and beans (most cultures have a similar combo of cheap, staple crops) that provide all amino acids between the two of them.

One proper burger a week........,

that equates to 10 McDonalds if you count the meat content :LOL:

Back