B&W Playing with fire

Andrew Moore

Suspended / Banned
Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
As the weather has been rubbish I have looked to having a quick play with objects/toys/figures that are located around the house. I thought I would have a look at messing around a little with fire and as such created a cotton bud torch that I placed into the hand of a Japanese figure called Domo. I saw an advert for Tomb Raider and thought why not, lets give it a go..

Anyway, the photo as as below. I had to do some dodgy editing int he mouth and upper right hand side of the head due to ghosting however this is just the beginning of my little adventure to brighten a dull day so go easy on that for the time being, its more the composure that I am wanting advice on as Id like deeper shadowing to the rear without blowing out the highlights in the front.

Be rough by all means!

DSCF8104.jpg

f/1.4 | 35mm | 1/4s | ISO250 | X-Pro1

Last edited:

The idea is cool!
…but there is an apparent lack of DoF due to the low light condition.

Try pushing your ISO so you can use ƒ8 ~ ƒ11 making sure the SS
does not go under 1/10s so not to have blur in the flame.

That could be a good way to discover the quality limit of your sensor.

Last edited:

The idea is cool!
…but there is an apparent lack of DoF due to the low light condition.

Try pushing your ISO so you can use ƒ8 ~ ƒ11 making sure the SS
does go under 1/100s so not to have blur in the flame.

That could be a good way to discover the quality limit of your sensor.

The problem is at f8 a fair amount comes in to focus in the back of the image as I had to use some towels to get the soft background I wanted. Ill see if I can get in to the image closer with the camera and crop a little less as that should help. Too lazy to frame properly on things like this most of the time.

This FF take was shot for you with a
D3S + 105 macro @ ƒ8 @1/30s @ ISO 3200
the BG is a construction styropore plate painted in black
and no ambient light.

DSC_6723pp.jpg

Last edited:
Back