Playing with light and colour in a portrait series - my Youtuber Yearbook shoot

Edit My Images
No
Hey,

I posted this in the business section, but figured it might be of interest in the lighting section -

I recently worked with a magazine to shoot a yearbook backstage at a convention for popular UK youtube creators.

I had two backgrounds set up, for fast paced changes, and over two days, shot portraits of almost 100 people.

Almost every single portrait had a different setup - when each creator came over to the studio, I'd have a quick chat with my producers from the magazine, and then the youtuber themselves, about what they do, their vibe and how I could show that in their portrait.

My blog post with more pictures is on:

http://davebirdphoto.com/blog/2017/9/5/youtube-creators-yearbook-2017

dg5pchxwsaaf86n-jpg.109953

Kit wise, I shot on my Pentax 645z medium format, and the lights were profoto B1s, B2, and elinchrom monoblocs. I had a whole load of modifers to hand, but mainly stuck to my small photek softlighter, and the larger Lencarta medium parabolic umbrella with the front diffuser. I had a rented Profoto Fresnel adapter, which I really like and gave me some interesting options both for key light and painting the background, as well as grip kit like a large boom, polyboards etc. Other bits I used included zoom and magnum reflectors, proglobe, ICE lights etc - but most setups were actually relatively simple, but many had quite a few lights in play to give that wavy multicoloured background.

The photos are fairly different to what I normally do, and I would normally keep gel usage way more subtle than this, but I'm really happy how they work as a series and piece of work. Coming up with and photographing over 80 concepts, all incredibly quickly, in 2 days was certainly exhausting! I'm honoured at how much of their personality the creators were prepared to give me in front of the camera - which makes all the difference.

Happy to answer any questions!

Some really good images there, and even better as a set. Great job (y)

Seriously impressed at the work rate :eek:

Back