Please help! I have deleted my photos of my SD :(

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,

Not even sure how I did this but viewNX froze whilst I was deleted photos and I accidentally deleted the whole folder :( dufus I know as I haven't backed the SD up.

Does anyone know of anything magical I can do to recover the folder? Free preferably......

Many thanks in advance

Recuva is the usual choice.

Google free data recovery. Majorgeeks is a good source for free programs- just make sure you click on the correct link and don't install new web browsers :) during install.

Remember, the data is not destroyed- a tick has been removed from a box, in effect.

Last edited:
So long as you do not write anything else to the card, all the files should still be recoverable. In fact, until recovered, slide the write protect tab over to prevent any accidental writing to the card by any software.

Recuva is the usual choice.

Google free data recovery. Majorgeeks is a good source for free programs- just make sure you click on the correct link and don't install new web browsers :) during install.

Remember, the data is not destroyed- a tick has been removed from a box, in effect.
:plus1:

The above should get your images back, but please confirm you've not been storing your images just on the sd card.

Thanks all, I found sound software which did the job. Phewwww!

I need to change my workflow so that I back my raws up before I start to deleting them in viewNX I think :)

Thanks all, I found sound software which did the job. Phewwww!

I need to change my workflow so that I back my raws up before I start to deleting them in viewNX I think :)
Try never deleting anything from the card in the computer. Cards are considered more robust if formatted in camera.

Download cards, backup, check both copies are fine, put card back in camera and format. Foolproof :banana:

Yup, don't delete from the card. Create a local copy, remove card from computer (just in case you get a bit trigger-happy with deleting), delete files from local copy. Backup local copy.
Then, and only then, format your card in camera.

Basically, before you start doing anything you might screw up, make sure there's two independent copies.

I even like to go even further...
3-2-1
3 forms of backup, on at least 2 different types of media, and at least 1 of them offsite (such as the cloud).

I even like to go even further...
3-2-1
3 forms of backup, on at least 2 different types of media, and at least 1 of them offsite (such as the cloud).

This thread is 4 years old?

Seems to be a newbie with a 'thing' about data recovery software.
Well each of us probably has a 'thing' about something or other. I wonder if he has any image-making intelligence? Or has he already skulked back to his burrow?

Is he waving, or drowning?

Last edited:
Might be 4 years old but it doesn't make the answers any less relevant I suppose.

Back