please help me buy a tlr camera

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
had a little clear out of things from other hobbies to free up some money to buy another tlr camera i have a old non working halina a1 and always walking round with it looking through the viewer and love the look and feel of these box cameras so im watching a few on ebay from makers like yashica ricohflex rolleicord etc but which should i choose would be nice if could also use 35mm in it too
can you tell me what you use and works well for you ? some sample images would be nice too??
budget wise under 100 pounds would be nice
wanting to shoot landscapes portraits etc
just ordered one of those diy jobbies off ebay to build thought it would help get a understanding of how they work etc and gives me something to play around with lol
thanks all

Last edited:
I'm currently shooting with a Yashica 635 which is one of the few TLRs that shoots both 120 and 35mm (using the adaptor). You can't really go wrong with any Yashica/Rolleiflex TLR and most will be under £100. The biggest difference between models will generally be that some cock the shutter and wind on the film in one movement (usually a crank handle on the side) whereas other, like the Yashica 635, wind the film on and cock the shutter with independent movements so it's easier to accidentally get double exposures. Also, some TLRs like the Yashica 124-G have a meter built in whereas most don't.

These are a couple of shots I've taken recently on the 635;

New Brighton Sunset by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Clover the Bunny by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

TalkPhotography MegaMeet 2015 by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
fantastic thanks thats the exact model im planning on having a bid on only thing is it dont come with the 35 adapter and they 50+ quid alone

In all honesty I would forget using 35mm in it, unless you like taking lots of vertical panoramas. I found it really really awkward to use for a "normal" horizontal panorama in conjunction with the flipped view through the WLF. It is a really nice 6x6 TLR though, I love mine for use as a really like and unobtrusive camera, and the lenses on them are really quite nice

As above really. I've got a roll of Agfa Vista in at the moment to test out the 35mm adaptor but I'd normally prefer to shoot 120 for the larger negatives so any TLR will be as good. The one benefit for 35mm is that you're shooting using the centre of the lens so should theoretically be sharp across the frame.

yes i see what your saying was just thinking would be easier for developing in 35 as can drop them in with my others but sort of deffests the object of medium format

the price is climbing on the 635
there alot of others but dont know the brands dont want anything thats un usable what other brands are a good bet ? thanks

yes i see what your saying was just thinking would be easier for developing in 35 as can drop them in with my others but sort of deffests the object of medium format

I completely agree with @raathistle; I find TLRs beyond pointless for shooting 135. What good is being easier to develop, if it's far more difficult to take pictures and you lose the advantage of medium format?

The only advantage I can see in using 35mm film in a TLR is if you are using it for head and shoulders portraits where the vertical orientation and the focal length make it ideal.

Same results as a 35mm camera with an 80 to 100mm lens but the waist level finder might make it easier to use... or at least, different.

Steve.

Last edited:
The only advantage I can see in using 35mm film in a TLR is if you are using it for head and shoulders portraits where the vertical orientation and the focal length make it ideal.

Same results as a 35mm camera with an 80 to 100mm lens but the waist level finder might make it easier to use... or at least, different.

To be honest, I can definitely see a use for a camera with a portrait-oriented waist level finder, but not for shooting 135 with its ghastly 3:2 aspect ratio.

or is anyone selling one on here?

I have a Yashica 12 which is a bit more modern than the 635 with a light meter (although the one on mine doesn't work, unsurprisingly given its age).

Its this one
Yashica-12 by Andy, on Flickr

And a couple of shots from it.
The-Shed-2 by Andy, on Flickr
Buttermere-from-Rannerdale-Knotts by Andy, on Flickr

You should be able to pick one up for under a £100, they are very nicely made with a stunning lens. I also have used a 635, excellent and a YashicaMat which was my personal favourite until I dropped it and knakered it up....:sulk:

If you don't mind not having a wind on lever take a look at the Rolleicord VA or VB series. They might be a bit more than a ton but not much. They are light, supremely well made with a stunning lens. The viewfinder isn't the brightest but I replaced mine with one from.... forgot his name, anyone else remember it? This was a massive improvement and made the camera perfect all day shooter.

Andy

Thanks for that yes I have seen a couple of them for sale and love the look
What's the mat 124 like they are pretty cheap
Great shots btw and thanks for the input
Well il be having a bid on the 365 as ends soon but it's gone up loads today
I'm tempted for another 365 but has a scratch in the bezel and a spot on lens it's again on eBay

The 124 was a good camera the 124g was a little bit plasticky but with a good lens. Generally speaking I would look toward the slightly older Yashicas myself, I never really liked my 124g it just felt wrong.

Have a look here

http://www.tlr-cameras.com/

lots of good info.

I've previously shot with both a Yashica Mat and a 124-G. The Mat was a beater when I bought it so I had to repaint it and fit a new skin whereas the 124-G I had was pretty much mint. They both have the same crank wind so no double exposures and the focal length is 80mm making their handling pretty much the same. The meter in the 124-G was handy but I tend to meter with my iPhone anyway. Personally, I'd look at a standard Mat rather than paying the premium for the 124-G.

YashicaMat

View attachment 40731

124-G

View attachment 40732

View attachment 40733

Cheers
Steve

An alternative approach for the tight fisted budget photographer is a cheapo Lubitel 166B. They were pumped out by the Lomo factory in the USSR. A similar model is still being produced today commissioned by Lomography but at a high price.

They were based on an old German Voigtlander design, are notoriously difficult to focus, but a) they are cheap as chips, and b) in the right hands, can still produce some surprising results.

8713051693_edf39129f1_z.jpg

I bought this one for two quid (I knocked the seller down from three quid) at a local car boot sale. Here is a link to some of my results using it.

Okay, I understand that you probably want something a little higher end, but the budget entry to medium format is worth mentioning, should you come across one. I like to sometimes suggest the alternative. A roll of Chinese Shanghai GP3 film in one of these babies, and you have ultra cheapo entry into medium format. Ker-ching.

Last edited:
An alternative approach for the tight fisted budget photographer is a cheapo Lubitel 166B. They were pumped out by the Lomo factory in the USSR. A similar model is still being produced today commissioned by Lomography but at a high price.

They were based on an old German Voigtlander design, are notoriously difficult to focus, but a) they are cheap as chips, and b) in the right hands, can still produce some surprising results.

8713051693_edf39129f1_z.jpg

I bought this one for two quid (I knocked the seller down from three quid) at a local car boot sale. Here is a link to some of my results using it.

Okay, I understand that you probably want something a little higher end, but the budget entry to medium format is worth mentioning, should you come across one. I like to sometimes suggest the alternative. A roll of Chinese Shanghai GP3 film in one of these babies, and you have ultra cheapo entry into medium format. Ker-ching.

My better TLR is a Mamiya C3 Professional, but what a lump! Personally, I'm not a great TLR fan. I prefer an SLR system camera - my choice being the Bronica SQ-A.

Thank you for that yes I don't mind looking at the lower budget ones as long as give good results
I've Set a bid in my head for the one I'm watching but as often on eBay I might not end up with it I don't mind stretching just over the ton mark for a clean example

Thank you for that yes I don't mind looking at the lower budget ones as long as give good results

All of these cameras are entirely manual and there's not much between most of them. The biggest factor in achieving good results with any of these cameras will be you.

What app do you use on iPhone just downloaded pocket light meter is it accurate ?

won it won it won it!!!!!!!!
get in all in got change from 80 quid !!!!! yea i own another tlr thanks all link to it............

Which one did you win?

That's a nice clean TLR. Don't bother with 35mm on a TLR, it's cumbersome and defeats the point of medium format.

I started my TLR shooting with a Yashica (Mat), and they are great cameras. A little fragile, but their lenses are excellent and they handle well.

Yea does look nice and clean and came in under budget always nice il get some film ordered
Thanks for all your help

what film are people using and what sort of price should i be paying? just looking on net now to get some ordered

what film are people using and what sort of price should i be paying? just looking on net now to get some ordered
Depends what you're after, colour, b&w, negative or reversal film, grainy, smooth, saturated colours or muted? The list goes on. My advice would be to get some Fomapan or something similar and go out and knock a few rolls off to get an idea what the camera can give you. But before you do that that run one roll through it just to make sure that it works properly. Test as many of the shutter speed/aperture combinations that you can with 1 roll and process that.

To start, I would recommend a fresh colour negative film, because the processing is standardised and can be developed anywhere, while the films also have great latitude for exposure variability. I would begin with something from one of the major players (i.e., Kodak, Fuji, or Ilford) and, once you are comfortable with your equipment and you know it works, then start branching out for more exotic film and development choices.

I personally wouldn't recommend starting with a traditional black and white film in this case, because it would be more expensive for you and there would be more variables requiring control.

Last edited:
thanks
yes im thinking colour il have a browse
do asda develop 120 does any one know

thanks

I don't think they do, although there was a rumour a while ago of a mythical Asda where they did 120 and big scans.... probably an urban myth.
If you want some vibrant Summer colour try Kodak Ektar 100, this seems to be the cheapest at the moment
http://www.7dayshop.com/120-roll-co...0-roll-colour-negative-print-film-5-pack-7805

For a more muted colour palette Kodak Portra 160 or 400 are both excellent. The 400 is my favourite.
http://www.7dayshop.com/120-roll-co...00-120-roll-colour-negative-print-film-5-pack

and for b&w try some rolls of Fomapan 100 or 200. I bought 5 rolls of ebay for £15.00. Fuji Acros 100 is beautiful and creamy but a bit more expensive.

Andy

thanks
Not as far as I know, check the processing resource at the top of the page, lots of information there.

Snappysnaps are handy in the high street and do 120 in the hour...but beware depending on the branch they charge from £3.50 -£7 for dev. only.

Back