please help with these wedding pics - page 2

Name
Summer
Edit My Images
Yes
ok portrait people...if you look at my flickr you'll see I don't 'do' people

however in 2013 my daughter is getting married in Las vegas

the photographer provided by the venue is worse than me now, so I would like to develop my portrait togging to the extent that I can get some amazing pics of her special day. I know she'd be happy with anything I get, but you know...;)

so, where to start?

I will need help with getting the light right (indoors and outdoors) bearing in mind that the most I will have is a flash gun

also composition, I've been looking at what others do so I have some ideas, but really need to know what to avoid (don't want them to look tacky)

would appreciate help over the coming year, but to start with have you any suggestions about what I should do first? I am currently trying to persuade her to let me do some portrait type shots of her indoors. But without a lighting kit. I'm not going to take one with me so makes sense to learn without it, just using whatever light is available.

thanks in advance(y)

Last edited:
I know a fair number of photographers that do very well on weddings with only a flash gun so it's more than possible, what lens to you have/intend to have :thinking: I would say that the very best thing you can do is get the kit that you will take asap and then practice practice practice (y) and you will soon see the improvement, especially if you post here to get the critique and learn from it (y)

Matt

thanks Matt - just seems so daunting and I'm not sure best way to practice. I am struggling to decide between a nifty 50 for the quality or a wide angle - other than that I have to save up for the flight so won't have much to spend on a quality lens.

thanks Matt - just seems so daunting and I'm not sure best way to practice. I am struggling to decide between a nifty 50 for the quality or a wide angle - other than that I have to save up for the flight so won't have much to spend on a quality lens.

Well depending on how long your going to be away I would 100% be considering hiring this lens for the trip (y) 24-70/2.8L (y) it's such a stunning lens having used one on a couple of occasions (y)

Matt

I have a telephoto, but it's not an L or anything, also the kit 18-55mm

My advice is not to try and do it yourself, I had to for my sons wedding and half the time your trying to be a photographer and the other half spent being a parent, It just doesn't work. Being the brides father who is going to take photos of you and your daughter as she is bound to want to be given away by yourself. You have plenty of time to seek out another photographer and I would strongly recommend it.

As you will be part of the wedding party you will find the rest of the guests won't take as much notice of you as the main photographer, so trying for those "formal " shots is well out of the question

Realspeed

Last edited:
I'm her mum lol, but I had thought of that, she will have a togger from the venue so I won't be the only one

What not to do: http://tackyweddings.com/2008/04/03...cheesy-poses-and-everything-tacky-in-between/ :)

Try and get some shoots in with her and her partner well before the big day. It will help them be far more relaxed when they get a camera pointed at them at the wedding.
Practice pointing your flash around the room bouncing the light off the walls and ceiling, You'll get a much better look than pointing it straight at them.

thanks Andy, that's the sort of stuff I need to know :)

My advice is not to try and do it yourself, I had to for my sons wedding and half the time your trying to be a photographer and the other half spent being a parent, It just doesn't work. Being the brides father who is going to take photos of you and your daughter as she is bound to want to be given away by yourself. You have plenty of time to seek out another photographer and I would strongly recommend it.

As you will be part of the wedding party you will find the rest of the guests won't take as much notice of you as the main photographer, so trying for those "formal " shots is well out of the question

Realspeed
:plus1:

Seriously, consider booking a UK photographer and flying them over for a few days, or booking a talented local

The hardest weddings I shoot are for people I know, family being at the top of the list

If I am shooting - I am not a guest, I am working - I dont have a in-between mindset. People I don't know cooperate immediately for me. People I do know start negotiating or just do what they want, because they know how nice I am. That makes my job a lot harder}

Shooting a wedding for the un-initiated is stressful. That usually hampers things. For me, I go in, shoot it, go home. It isnt stressful any more, I am well within in my comfort zone. So much so, I have a lot of slack to be creative with, knowing I have got the core job done

I'm her mum lol,

That's even harder - as MUM of the bride- you are going to be doing lots of other stuff

Can you shoot stuff in advance - all those arty shots of shoes and rings and her being made up and stuff - ?? do shots of bridesmaids trying stuff on .. etc .. well before the event .. and then stick to being her mum on the day - perhaps if it is Las Vegas then it is not so formal -so you may get away with more ..

she can't afford to ship someone to vegas to take pics, that's way out of her league :(

otherwise she'd be getting married in a castle with all the works

I would just like some advice on taking portraits shots if that's ok guys, not trying to build a portfolio lol, I prefer landscapes and buildings and I'm not even very good at those :D

she can't afford to ship someone to vegas to take pics, that's way out of her league :(

otherwise she'd be getting married in a castle with all the works

I would just like some advice on taking portraits shots if that's ok guys, not trying to build a portfolio lol, I prefer landscapes and buildings and I'm not even very good at those :D

second shoot with someone local for a few weddings is your best bet

lol, thanks Richard but I need to do loads more groundwork before that, honestly, I really have no idea. I tried to do some of the kids over xmas but (even though they're all in their 20's) they wouldn't sit still and behave ha ha

Your going to need a 24-70 and a 70-200, you can't shoot a wedding with just a 50mm it'll be bloody hard work !

Invest in some decent glass and training. Or find a better photographer in the area

http://www.lovegroveconsulting.com/

I love wedding threads :) You certainy don't "need" anything. For this type of job look at what you have and try to make the best of it. Sure if the OP can hire a 24-70 or 24-105 the do it but remember this is for a one off.

lol, thanks Richard but I need to do loads more groundwork before that, honestly, I really have no idea. I tried to do some of the kids over xmas but (even though they're all in their 20's) they wouldn't sit still and behave ha ha

read lots - There are plety of weding photography nboks and on-camera flash boks. You have lots of time to practice.

In the states yoy should have plety of light so uless idors the eue do't alow flash you should be able to take sme nice shots.

i would not be aiing to be a pro level but you should be abe to learn how to use you flash as a man light and fill light in that period with the kt you have.

Show us sme images you've taken and start from there and we can give advice.

I am one to advocate the use of good glass, bakups etc etc but if the wedding is already being covered by another and you are adding to that you should be able to get some nice shots without hiring an L lens. What telephoto do you have?

Last edited:
Just ask on the forum - are there any local tog's who will let you bag carry / second shoot for them?

It's not like you are setting up & treading on their toes, and your photography skills and perceptions will change loads

thanks guys

my tele is 80-200mm F4.5-5.6 (canon)

I will be able to buy a new/2nd hand lens for my birthday this year so long as it's under £200 (saving for vegas lol) so if anyone thinks I can improve on what I have I'd be grateful for info.

but generally I'm happy with what I've got, just need to learn how to use my kit

so I might spend my money on some decent flash guns or lighting equipment (stuff that will be small and light enough to carry)

here's my attempt at getting the kids to sit still (my daughter was being very naughty; getting her brothers to pull faces etc)

no flash or extra lighting was used

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/53121582@N03/6574157659/]

IMG_6142 by moominmama, on Flickr[/URL]

also took one of her when she didn't see me, no set up involved

I don't like pics of my kids on public forums so I will take these off after a few days - you can still see them on flickr but I will set them to private so you might have to add me as a contact :p

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/53121582@N03/6574175615/]
IMG_6304 by moominmama, on Flickr[/URL]

you see my problem? lol - I really have no idea

remember, I just want decent photos of her big day - I don't want to be 'the' wedding togger

remember, I just want decent photos of her big day - I don't want to be 'the' wedding togger

Sit down with the couple and decide what are the top 12 shots they would like at the end of the day. I don't know anyone that has more than three photos of their wedding framed and on the wall, so targetting 12 should provide enough, make you feel more comfortable about nailing them, and there will be plenty of accidental/grab shots to make up the rest of the album.

It's Vegas, so I can't see you not doing some after-dark outdoor portraits with fill flash to use the glitz as a backdrop.

Once you know what shots you want, then you can work out what you need to buy/hire, beg, steal or borrow for practice and the trip.

I'd definitely practice using the flashgun for portraits, and invest in a pop-up softbox to go with it and a wireless trigger set (non-TTL for budget). Flash has several advantages, but the most important one here might be that it brings out the best from mid-range lenses. Glass that struggles except in very good light can be presented with all the light it needs. If family wants the results, then family (particularly the happy couple) needs to help you out.

You need to work as a team on practicing though, and focus on only using the kit you can take with you (forget studio lights if all you can carry to Vegas is a flashgun). Get one of the guests/family is nominated as your assistant (you will need someone to hold the flash, act as people wrangler, etc) and practice with them as well - for fill flash outdoors it's very useful to have a VAL (voice-activated lightstand)!

thanks guys

my tele is 80-200mm F4.5-5.6 (canon)

I will be able to buy a new/2nd hand lens for my birthday this year so long as it's under £200 (saving for vegas lol) so if anyone thinks I can improve on what I have I'd be grateful for info.

but generally I'm happy with what I've got, just need to learn how to use my kit

so I might spend my money on some decent flash guns or lighting equipment (stuff that will be small and light enough to carry)

here's my attempt at getting the kids to sit still (my daughter was being very naughty; getting her brothers to pull faces etc)

no flash or extra lighting was used

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/53121582@N03/6574157659/]

IMG_6142 by moominmama, on Flickr[/URL]

also took one of her when she didn't see me, no set up involved

I don't like pics of my kids on public forums so I will take these off after a few days - you can still see them on flickr but I will set them to private so you might have to add me as a contact :p

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/53121582@N03/6574175615/]
IMG_6304 by moominmama, on Flickr[/URL]

you see my problem? lol - I really have no idea

You are not as bad as you think... with a quick 20 second edit...

Yes it would have been a lot better to get it right in camera, and the knock on for that is that the final edited image would have been better. However you are not a million miles off producing reasonable photographs

test.jpg

PS. I will delete the image either when you ask me to or in a day or so

Last edited:
@Richard - what did you do? I can see it's not yellow any more, did you just change the colour tones or do something else? I have my camera set to AWB - do you think tungsten would have been better?

@Alastair - hmmm methinks I will need to google lots of the terms you've used :)

@Richard - what did you do? I can see it's not yellow any more, did you just change the colour tones or do something else? I have my camera set to AWB - do you think tungsten would have been better?

@Alastair - hmmm methinks I will need to google lots of the terms you've used :)

I popped it into Lightroom and then..

cropped it slightly and corrected the white balance, slightly punched up the the saturation, & tweaked the curves. Used a graduated exposure filter, and corrected for the lens shortcomings. I then removed a little noise and sharpened it slightly, and output it for screen

If it was a critical shot, I would have been a lot more subtle with everything, and possibly worked for about another 10 mins cleaning things up (and yes you can get Lightroom to do that in 20 seconds when you get up to speed in using it)

Last edited:
I have my camera set to AWB - do you think tungsten would have been better?

I think you are better off shooting in RAW and using software like Lightroom to manage and do the basic edits for your photographs. It is not a crutch however - you also need to concentrate on getting the shot better in camera

thanks Richard that's really useful :)

get the B&G and take them out for the day for an "engagement" session - you can call it practice.

Take a dozen images you like from the web, print them and try to recreate them. Flash is a very different beast and to be honest I think you should work on the basics of portraiture before going down the road of flash.

Go out and set up a dozen poses in a nice park. When in the states you may bnot get the nice park but select the backdrop and pop the poses in there.

Sitting people on a couch is not really what a bride wants althugh I likke the second shot apart from the missed focus. They need to be aware that they will be asked to pose so if you can show them some or ask what they like that should make the job easier.

Concentrate on all alements of the pose. Feet & hands in particular.

You need the practice and they want the images so you should be able to coax them out :)

what worries me is that she hates it when I get my camera out lol - guess she will have to 'get used to it' *evil laugh*

will probably be able to persuade her other half to appreciate the need to practice!

what worries me is that she hates it when I get my camera out lol - guess she will have to 'get used to it' *evil laugh*

will probably be able to persuade her other half to appreciate the need to practice!

You have to explain that if you can't take an image, how does she expect to be when a stranger points the camera at her.

Standing in front of a camera is awkward and you can alwayts reassure them that anything you take will not be used or shown unless they are happy. The images should be better than anything a small compact will take so they may be pleasantly surprised.

tip

90% of the time, the person I am shooting isnt even aware. You wont capture a formal shot like that, but for just about everything else...

I know you're her Mum, and you want to do you very best for her, but can I go against the grain of this thread. Go to Vegas, take your camera and some photos, but more importantly be her Mum and enjoy her day. She'll thank you much more for being there and enjoying her wedding then she will for stressing, running round and worrying more about her photographs then anything else. Trust me, she'll love whatever you take

you don't need to tell me that Hugh :) :p - but my 'snaps' and 'candids' need improvement which is why I started this thread - seriously :)

Get a book, read a lot, ask questions, practice, get training, practice, practice practice

Have a look at what other photographers have shot wedding wise in Vegas to get some ideas. I don't know how many people will be there or what the wedding will involve the hotel organised weddings are usually picturesq with the gardens all dressed up but the little white wedding chaple stuff with elvis leading the service just don't quite have the same appeal. Have a look at the hotels near where your staying. The back sides of the hotels are not really great for photos, mainly becasue they are huge multistory carparks and lots of building sites as the hotels expand. If your staying at a not so nice hotel then go for a walk and get photos at a nicer hotel the lobby of the Belagio is impresive. maybe go to fremont street for some old school vegas shots. There is also the neon boneyard which has some old signs from the hotels some of which could lead themselves to wedding photography just contact them a bit before you go as when I went for the tour they were quite strict on the terms of photography and the use of the images.

I saw one guy use the gardens at the mirage or Mandalay bay and used the building as a giant reflector creating a warm glow.
You often see brides and grooms walking about the strip with a photographer in tow creating images with some of the incredible back drops about. One thing I would possibly look at taking with you is a 5-1 reflector, bounce your flash off it use it to diffuse the what can be very bright sun they don't cost that much.

and if you get really stuck I know a few photographers in Las Vegas.

time to resurrect this thread - my daughter's pal just got married and she kindly allowed me to practise on her :LOL:

please let me know your honest opinion - I hate them, the light and colours are all wrong - please check the exif and give me some advice. The bride's dress is mostly blown - I found it very hard to avoid this :(

I need help :LOL:

however I really enjoyed doing it

(PS please bear in mind I wasn't allowed to ask anyone to pose for me)

the secret window by moominmama, on Flickr

peek-a-boo by moominmama, on Flickr

Untitled by moominmama, on Flickr

4. - perfect example of wrong light and colour :(

their turn next by moominmama, on Flickr

don't hate them considering where you are, and what you're setting out to do its not all bad at all. More then anything, whatever you take in LV your daughter will love.

Now, having said that I'm going to be honest with these. I hope its useful to you.

1. Its a great idea, but I think the setting lets it down. The doors just aren't good enough for this sort of shot, and the mesh fro the safety glass spoils it. Your conversion could do with a little more pop, and I think on the whole I would of left the shot. What a great spot though.

2. I'm not sure why you shot this at f/8. I would of waited until you could see a little less leg.

3. Could you get them to look at you?

4. Its a nice enough pose, but you're a little over exposed and watch the background a little

Generally, I'm not sure why you shot at f/8 a lot I'd be shooting wider. You also could do with using some exposure compensation and using a bit less auto WB (shoot in RAW and change it afterwards) so colours are a bit more consistent

don't hate them considering where you are, and what you're setting out to do its not all bad at all. More then anything, whatever you take in LV your daughter will love.

thank-you :)

Now, having said that I'm going to be honest with these. I hope its useful to you. this is what I want

1. Its a great idea, but I think the setting lets it down. The doors just aren't good enough for this sort of shot, and the mesh fro the safety glass spoils it. Your conversion could do with a little more pop, and I think on the whole I would of left the shot. What a great spot though.

2. I'm not sure why you shot this at f/8. I would of waited until you could see a little less leg. the baby was trying to run out of the main door and her mum grabbed her and picked her up so this was a lucky pic, I actually cropped out a lot more of the very short skirt and exposed flesh :LOL:

3. Could you get them to look at you? unfortunately not, I wasn't the main photographer, the couple had agreed to let me practise only and I wasn't allowed to ask anyone to pose.

4. Its a nice enough pose, but you're a little over exposed and watch the background a little my daughter and fiance so I was allowed to get them to pose ha ha

Generally, I'm not sure why you shot at f/8 a lot I'd be shooting wider. You also could do with using some exposure compensation and using a bit less auto WB (shoot in RAW and change it afterwards) so colours are a bit more consistent

thanks for taking the time :)

I have no idea why I set it at f8 either, I do forget to check my settings - all the time! (this is very bad I know).

I normally shoot under exposed as it's so much easier to brighten a dark pic than vice versa, and I was really unhappy with the end result :(

I am planning to upgrade my PC so I can start using RAW

I've also embedded some replies to your questions :)

thanks again :)

Last edited:
thanks for taking the time :)

I normally shoot under exposed as it's so much easier to brighten a dark pic than vice versa, and I was really unhappy with the end result :(

Actually you may find iot's the opposite. Under exposing and then recovering in RAW will introduce a lot more noise into your shot.

N04 is over exposed but a very simple fix in Lightroom or Photoshop.

Read up on "Expose To The Right".

thank-you for replying Jim, unfortunately I am unable to shoot in RAW until I get my PC upgraded (too costly at the mo). Also I only have Gimp as I can't afford to spend money on software.

with what tools I have I find it easier to brighten a dark pic than to darken a light pic. Maybe professionals do it the other way, but I'm going by my own experiences :)

Hi, I took some pictures at my sisters wedding in Vegas. Is your daughter getting married in a chapel? or Hotel? Which hotel is she staying and prepping for the wedding?

thank-you for replying Jim, unfortunately I am unable to shoot in RAW until I get my PC upgraded (too costly at the mo). Also I only have Gimp as I can't afford to spend money on software.

with what tools I have I find it easier to brighten a dark pic than to darken a light pic. Maybe professionals do it the other way, but I'm going by my own experiences :)

You shouldn't need to "darken" or "lighten".

In Gimp look at the LEVELS command and drag the sliders in until the white and black points are next to the start of the graph (this is the black to white pixels in the images).

So easy to fix exposure issues like that in Gimp - THey are not too far out so a simple fix.

Go to Colours>Levels and move the triangular slider on the left (the black level) to about 30

Last edited:
Back