Please settle an argument- aperture priority & low light?

Ah yeh I've seen that. Think I left it on default as I assumed it would just underexpose otherwise

Lensflare what's the exp comp dial?

There was no need for an exposure compensation dial before the first aperture priority SLR which was the Pentax ME and that was the first camera one appeared on. Other manufacturers quickly followed suit with AP cameras and the exp comp dial is common to pretty well all SLRs with any automatic mode after that for quite a few years.

The reason for it was that if you wanted to give extra exposure by using a larger aperture or a longer shutter speed, the camera wouldn't let you as whichever parameter you altered (aperture or shutter) the camera would adjust the other parameter to keep the same exposure value.

They got around it by adding the exposure compensation dial which allowed you to select more or less exposure in increments up to about 2 stops either way. In other words it was a way of overriding the automatic nature of the camera for more tricky exposures.

With the advent of more electronics and lcd screens in cameras, the exp comp dial disappeared, but the function is still there in auto modes (AP SP etc) usually accessed now by a push button/wheel arrangement and a graduated scale on the screen for the amount of compensation.

Use Apertture, and watch the shutter speed - to adjust, remain in Aperture and use the exp comp dial - job done.
I may be misinterpreting this, but wouldn't adjusting the shutter speed by changing the exp comp dial lead to over/under exposure?
Did you mean change the ISO setting to adjust?

I may be misinterpreting this, but wouldn't adjusting the shutter speed by changing the exp comp dial lead to over/under exposure?
Did you mean change the ISO setting to adjust?

Agreed. You'd have to adjust the aperture to settle on your target shutter speed.

Problem with this is you can be finding yourself adjusting it all the time if the scene and the lighting change. Where as using Tv mode will do it for you.

Shoot Manual!:D

No matter how I go about this I always tend to gravitate towards full manual and I am always mor pleased with the results as they are mostly more consistent.

I have lost a few nice shots at weddings when the shutter speed dropped to 1/25 or 1/30 at a focal length of 200 on my 70-200. This is why I can confirm that everything looks great on a 2" screen...

Then you see it on 23" and it does tend to look a wee bit different suddenly.

If you pay attention to your camera you will hear the longer shutter times and won't even need to chimp inbetween.

Bottom line: whatever works for you to get the shot, every time.(y)

hi twizzel, i`m a local lad to you and know very well what dark gloomy weather we get down here and i`ve got the same lens as you, i do alot of football photography for the local papers, when the weather is good i like to use F6.1 to F8 and then as it gets darker i will come down to around f4 down to 2.8 if i need to go lower which i cant then i`ll start to rasie the iso over 800/1600, and i ALWAYS shoot in aperture priority mode and find for me i have to keep the shutter speed over 1/320 to keep freezing the action.

I dont see anything wrong with your pictures at all, you like using aperture priority mode, and most people use aperture mode for sports etc etc so i would carry on using that and say to your dad keep out of it lol.

If you pay attention to your camera you will hear the longer shutter times and won't even need to chimp inbetween.

Anton, you always bring proper old school common sense to a thread. (y)

Anton, you always bring proper old school common sense to a thread. (y)

:D

What can I say...I have made enough of my own mistakes for a few others to go without the need to learn from their own.

(y)

Back