Plustek opticfilm 120 Scanner for Medium Format

I am surprised why people moan about flatbeds!!! if i can get these sort of results i will be over the moon

Well even a true scan from a V750 if roughly equivalent to a 2mp digi camera :( a higher scan and it's a software "fiddle" :( Now if they could make a cheap flatbed equivalent to results from a drum scan. we would all be happy bunnies.(y)

Last edited:
haha! Well actually the biggest put off of flatbed is so called hassle involved in scanning entire roll.

It's no SP-2000 that's for sure, but it's not too bad unless the negs a quite dense. Dense negs take ages as it ramps up the exposure so each frame can take a few minutes rather than about a minute.

SP-2000 is backdated and not known much i believe. SP3000 is what Labs use. The Last Scanner Which Fuji made was SP-500 but that was only for 35mm and they stopped that in 2012/13 i guess. Which is very modern.

haha! Well actually the biggest put off of flatbed is so called hassle involved in scanning entire roll.

Well as said the V750 can do eight 6X4.5 or six 6X7 in one scan and if you are never going to want massive enlargement prints the results should be good...maybe very good as I've never had say a 20" X 15" print done digitally from a V750 scan (only small sizes). Only done (for that size) a few the old way in the darkroom and I was pleased with the results from a Rollei neg 6X6.

You mean enlarger on 6x6? I am not that technical its a shame i have a paper developer but i dont have enlarger setup etc

You mean enlarger on 6x6? I am not that technical its a shame i have a paper developer but i dont have enlarger setup etc

Indeed an enlarger..in a way nothing has changed much as many moons ago were arguing over the best enlarging lens :D..and at least in the darkroom you don't get those blasted pixels.

Last edited:
Well as said the V750 can do eight 6X4.5 or six 6X7 in one scan and if you are never going to want massive enlargement prints the results should be good...maybe very good as I've never had say a 20" X 15" print done digitally from a V750 scan (only small sizes). Only done (for that size) a few the old way in the darkroom and I was pleased with the results from a Rollei neg 6X6.
It can't actually pull off eight 6x7 as half of the third frame is lost under the holder so you can only get 4 done without having to tinker with the holders.

It can't actually pull off eight 6x7 as half of the third frame is lost under the holder so you can only get 4 done without having to tinker with the holders.

A typo? As you are correct for the wrong frame size. Checking my holders and it can do eight 6X 4.5 BUT only four 6X7 as each slot does only does two and a half frames (the cut-off).

Whoops yes, correct, brain not fully engaged there.

The quick summary is that the Epson V700 will scan a 6x7 black and white negative well enough for an A3 print that passes muster under my magnifying glass.
Post 6 this thread

I'll clarify "pass muster". It means I can see detail under a magnifying glass on a print made on Hahnemuelhe PhotoRag paper that I can't see with my naked eye. Although I'll admit that the scanner I used for the print I so examined was an earlier model, and I just assumed that Epson hadn't made the scanners worse with later models.

If anyone wants to see a full size Epson v700 scan from a medium format colour negative, here's an example of mine:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwlF91ptY8tbMl9pTUNGbXc4ejg/view?usp=sharing

The image was taken on a Mamiya RZ67 with Ektar and scanned at 2400 dpi, resulting in a negative just under 32 megapixels. If printed at 300 dpi, the resulting print would be 16.8 * 21 inches

I'm not making any claims as to quality, it's just an example for potential scanner buyers to form their own view.

There you guys! Please ignore my skills as i am totally new in the field! EKTAR 100 Developed at home and Scanned with Plustek 120 Which arrived this morning! Camera Used Was YAshica 124 MAtG .. Picture is taken from Castle Hill Kirklees and View of Huddersfield Town from Top6x6.jpg

That second one has come out particularly well, Taimoor. Happy with the Plustek?

That second one has come out particularly well, Taimoor. Happy with the Plustek?

ChrisR . Greetings.

Well too early to say anything, Coming from Minilab setup which is painless and quick this seem to be a burden on my head but i think i am getting there. Just playing with it as much as i can to get the silver fast right! That application is a bugger if you have not used in past! will keep you guys posted.

ChrisR . Greetings.

Well too early to say anything, Coming from Minilab setup which is painless and quick this seem to be a burden on my head but i think i am getting there. Just playing with it as much as i can to get the silver fast right! That application is a bugger if you have not used in past! will keep you guys posted.

I used SF V6 for ages: perpetually confusing but powerful. It totally ignored all the UI conventions for WIMP software! Had to give it up when V6 stopped working at a MacOS upgrade. I gather V8 is a bit more "standard"; I did trial it but the upgrade was far too expensive, so went for Vuescan Pro instead, which is quirky in very different ways but regularly updated and works on both my scanners plus the Canon all-in-one printer/scanner!

Well I am already facing kind of problems. After studying the pictures in full size. There is a bluish/Dull Line in the middle of frames from top to bottom. Film is clean and i have tried different negatives. What a bad beginning

Oh dear. Have you contacted the supplier yet? That's not a cheap piece of kit!

Damn. not that i am moaning. i have many of brands in past but oh dear!! Plustek has worst customer service. They have no office in UK and even if i were to send it it has to be german service centre. Please note its a used machine so i will have to get in touch with previous owner too.

Will keep you all posted.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25875275@N07/31339128936/in/dateposted-public/

Here is a picture if you can see.

Yes, you're not going to be able to live with that, I suspect. If the seller was a business, then maybe the Distance Selling Regs are your friend. If not, maybe negotiate a price reduction to pay for repairs, or return for refund? Those would be the fleabay options, anyway!

Damn. not that i am moaning. i have many of brands in past but oh dear!! Plustek has worst customer service. They have no office in UK and even if i were to send it it has to be german service centre. Please note its a used machine so i will have to get in touch with previous owner too.

Will keep you all posted.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/25875275@N07/31339128936/in/dateposted-public/

Here is a picture if you can see.

Well I can't see the problem in your shot. What am I looking for?

Yes, you're not going to be able to live with that, I suspect. If the seller was a business, then maybe the Distance Selling Regs are your friend. If not, maybe negotiate a price reduction to pay for repairs, or return for refund? Those would be the fleabay options, anyway!

Indeed its already sucking my blood! I have left a msg for seller lets see what happens. Spoke to plustek and they are asking for 300 Pounds worth of service.

for now its a pain in the A!!!! Forgive me for the words but its so frustrating

Back