PM's plane, is the flag correct?

mex

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
rsz_union-jack-theme-polyester-flag-36-x-24-inches-product-image.jpg

rsz_1105593976_10158457762571558_7310380418878204774_o.jpg

The flag on the tail looks up-sidedown to me?

Yup, looks like it to me....................................and I wonder if the 'designer' knew what an inverted Union Flag means or any official above him/her that approved it!!!!!! :(

PS when BA had a representation of the Union Flag it was more arty that accurate, so one could forgive "artistic license" but this IMO needs correcting because it is in effect a 'true' section of the flag.................unless some wag hoped to get this past official scrutiny. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Well !

... wonder what the excuse will be? :LOL:

Did Dom's mate have anything to do with it?

Maybe they intend to fly the plane inverted if there's any royalty about. ;)

Well, if the flag's flying with the wind blowing right to left, that's the way it should look, so if you take the "leading edge" of the tail fin as being the flag staff, it's correct. Looks wrong because flags are generally shown with the flag staff to the left (in books etc..)

I initially thought the flag inverted was 'surrender' but according to sources I found there are two interpretations depending on who hung it inverted:-

1) Distress signal
2) An insult to who the flag represents

I wonder, as noted above how that will be explained away and if(?) requires correction....................who the heck will foot the bill :LOL:

A good story but unfortunately seems its the right way round

In the design of the livery the leading edge of the tail acts as the flagstaff with flag flying towards the rear of the aircraft. This means that on the right side of the aircraft the the upper quarter has a thicker white line above the red line, adversely the upper left quadrant has a thicker white line below the red line.

According to the Ministry of Defence: “The convention is for the flag design to appear as though it is flying from a flag placed on the nose of the aircraft, as it travels through the air. When viewing the starboard side (right-hand side), this can give the mistaken impression that the design is backwards, or upside down, when in fact the observer is simply viewing the reverse side of the flag. A keen eye will notice that this convention has been consistently applied on all flags represented on the aircraft, including on the Union Flags on the two forward-most aircraft doors.”

https://ukaviation.news/think-the-flag-is-backwards-on-the-raf-uk-voyager-youre-wrong/

Edit: @Nod & @Box Brownie beat me to it

Last edited:
Well, if the flag's flying with the wind blowing right to left, that's the way it should look, so if you take the "leading edge" of the tail fin as being the flag staff, it's correct. Looks wrong because flags are generally shown with the flag staff to the left (in books etc..)

I surmise that will be claimed as the rationale, however flags are flown with the LHS side attached to the flagpole !!!

@jakeblu beat me to it and with the official explanation.

Last edited:
Doh! I'd almost finished an explanation of this and you posted before I could finish. :facepalm:

I still think it’s still a hell of a cost for a respray, cheaper with stickers?

Just to correct this, the £900k was for scheduled maintenance required by the CAA. The paint job would have been a small part of that cost.
That’s not the way I’ve seen it reported, someone with a political point to make, now the cost makes some sense. Ta.

It's not quite finished
twa.jpg

The other side is ok

plane.jpg
The RAF Voyager (Stefan Rousseau/PA)

Some graphics people CBA to work it out...

GN1_3409.jpg

She looks awesome...

View: https://BANNED/RafPhotog/status/1276564282377998339

View attachment 284135

View attachment 284136

The flag on the tail looks up-sidedown to me?

It's fine, nothing wrong there. You're looking at the other side of the Union Flag. It may be a solid aircraft tail, but a flag should be painted on as if it's a transparent cloth, like when looking at the other side of the flag, you would see through and it looked like a mirror image of the other side,

Back