Pocket Wizard Cables

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'm on the brink of ordering some Pocket Wizards, but just slightly puzzled in what cables I need to connect to a Nikon SB-800.

As far as I can work out, I need to get an MH1, MH3 or an MH10. The difference between these cables simply being length. This info is going by a chart on the PW site.

When I look at the MH1 cable on WarehouseExpress, it mentions all the different makes of flash that it is compatible with, but doesn't mention Nikon, and it also says its connections are Pocket Wizard to H Prong. But an H Prong doesn't seem to fit the bill when I look at the sockets on the side of the SB-800.

Basically just looking for confirmation from someone with a PW/SB-800 set-up.

:D

A plain old PC sync input is what the 800's will have.
The cables I use are Mini jack to PC, made em myself, total cost for 4 cables, less than a tenner and they work perfectly.
Difficult to find pre-made versions though that don't cost an extortionate amount, so I'd buy a couple PC to PC sync cables, cut them in half and then wire\solder a MONO mini jack plug to the naked end. Job's a good un.

Thanks for your help Tomas.

I'm still a bit confused though.

Take a look at this...

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1014950

(I got a bit wrong in my first post, it DOES list Nikon here - it's others that don't)

And here...

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/product/default.aspx?sku=1014949

To me, it looks like it should be the first that I need? I wish these things were made more clear :bonk:

Those cables look weird to me and too pricey, watch this video:

Clicky here

1:07 seconds in you'll see the standard female socket on a nikon flash to which your insert a male pc sync plug. The inputs on a pocket wizard are mini jack. Plain as, male PC to mono mini jack (one black stripe around the contact).
There are also many videos on you tube demonstrating the hook up of nikon flash flash to PW.

Check out the strobist vids too, loads of help and guidance there mate. (y)

* Just twigged, the first warehouse link you posted is most likely a PC to PC, and for a whopping 12 knicker!

Cheers for that. Had watched a few on Strobist, but that YouTube one explains it nicely.

Thanks again :D

Oh. Well that might solve my problems!

I'd looked through the instruction manual online, but found no mention of cable being included, so assumed they weren't.

But if they are included, why are people making their own?

But if they are included, why are people making their own?

Because they don't come with cables anymore. I bought 2 pairs and not one cable was supplied, I emailed pocket wizard and they said that they're older version the Pocket Wizard Plus came with a PC Sync to mini jack but the plus II's don't.

I know, effin cheeky considering the price tag on them.

Something like this

plus something like this

I spent far too long trying to track down a plain PC sync plug, no luck so I ordered a 12 inch male PC sync to male PC sync and chopped it in half, then attached the mono mini jacks (3.5mm) to either end, splodge of solder then a bit of electric tape to cover the join. Done, takes three minutes tops and you save a few pahhnd.

Yes I bought the Pocket Wizard Plus II Set, which came with two cables, so I would get the wizards first if I were you otherwise you'll end up with more cables than you need, although you can never have too many cables.
By the way I use them on my Nikon SB-28's with no probs.

Most likely that they were put in the boxes by speed graphic as they are nice ;)

I bought the wizards from Warehouse Express, after I had already bought the cables from speed graphic.

Wayne

I honestly did consider Skysports. Nearly ordered some at one point, but I've finally succumbed to the lure of the Pocket Wizard. :D

Would you use the pocket wizard instead of a Nikon SU800 Commander. What are the advantages of the pocket wizard over the Commander?

Yeah. Instead of the commander.

Main advantages I guess are speed, and being able to place the flashes wherever you like.

ok, thanks for the reply Oli.

Let us know how you get on as I like the fact that I would be able to control the outputs of each flash from my camera rather than have to set each individual flash.

Yeah will do.

The only disadvantage to PW's is that you can't control the output from the camera, like you can using the Commander within the camera, or the SU-800.

So if you need to make an adjustment, you need to return to the flash. It'll not be much of a problem, and the pros outweigh this only con.

Because they don't come with cables anymore. I bought 2 pairs and not one cable was supplied, I emailed pocket wizard and they said that they're older version the Pocket Wizard Plus came with a PC Sync to mini jack but the plus II's don't.

?? my plus IIs came with cables - this was less than a year ago.

?? my plus IIs came with cables - this was less than a year ago.
What is your point?
Maybe yours were older stock or maybe newer stock, I don't really care to be honest, PW emailed me back and said they don't supply the cables, maybe the store you bought them from put them in with the deal.
PW's cost alot of money and the store I bought them from did not remove the cables from the packaging as the seal was still intact.
It seems they may or may not come with cables depending on who you buy them from.

My point is you can make your own (and 8 of them) for less than a tenner, if you can be arsed.

I sent the Pocket Wizard people an email last night regarding this. They say they are included :D

Seems there is quite a mixed response here and yet the point seems to be over looked.

I'm not fibbing you! I bought 4 of the things and got no bloody cables.

Maybe some retailers are removing the cables and selling them seperatley, maybe PW aren't sure what the hell they supply with their product, warehouse express did this last year with tripod collars being included with several models of Canon L series lenses. They removed them and sold them seperatley for £89.99.

Regardless, you may or may not get cables with your shizzle. So be prepared (y)

:LOL: Yep. I have actually ordered some cables separately just incase. Could always return them if they're included. :D

Or keep em just incase you have a real intense shoot and forget to pack them. You can never have too many! (y)

Back