Poison gas factory. North Wales.

Edit My Images
Yes
A couple of years ago there were a couple of photo meets held at this once secret poison gas factory in N. Wales.
Sorry, but I can't remember who went on them.
On site there was also the Tube Alloys compound, which the cognoscenti will know was Britain's forerunner to the Manhattan Project. The bomb they droppd on Hiroshima, for the uninitiated.
There were also storage tunnels which we were not allowed in, but which are now being opened to the public. Were they poison gas or the nuclear programme? We never found out.
There was also the building which was out of bounds because a tree hugger thought he once saw a shadow of a bat passing within 100 metres of the entrance.
Next Wednesday, BBC4 is having a Nuclear night, and filming has taken place on these sites and in the bits we were not allowed in.

It's also reckoned that Britain's gold reserves were once held here, but we didn't find any.

I've no idea what will be broadcast, if anything, but it might be worth a looksee.

A lot of relatively undisturbed, derelict, former industrial/military sites where the land has 'returned to nature' (or is well on the way to doing so) support lots of wildlife. If there is an organised guided tour of such a site and you aren't allowed into a specific area, a particular building, etc. then please understand that and respect the reasons why (whether that's to protect wildlife or on health and safety grounds).

As for bats, bat roosts can be very susceptible to disturbance, they are also legally protected, so we need to stay the right side of the law, as well as having a bit of care and respect for the animals themselves and those people who work hard to protect Britain's wildlife... which, as your comment appears to demonstrate, can be a pretty thankless task at times!

Last edited:
Back