Polarizers worth it?

Name
Trev
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been looking at buying a Circular Polarizer for a while now.
But would like to ask a couple of questions on here before I do.
1. Do they really show a good difference in the blues etc?

2, I was looking at buying a Hoya one. the pro version is about £90 I think, whereas they also do a £30 version. I can only afford the£30 version... will I still notice a difference or is it stupid not to go for the pro?

Thanks in advance (y)

Can't comment on the merits of the 2 types but a polariser is definitely worth having.

On my recent trip to South Africa I took the polariser and a set of ND graduated filters. The polariser was so effective on the bright skies that the ND grads never came out of the bag.

Mine is a 77mm Hoya. Case has a price sticker saying £55 on it but I bought it used. No type numbers on it just cir-polarising. Wouldn't be without it now.

The main difference between the two is that the Pro version is thinner and lighter. When compared side by side, the pro version is quite a bit lighter, but in the grand scheme of things, makes not real difference at all.

The other main difference is that the Pro version will have better anti reflection coatings, which of course acts to reduce lens flare.

All said and done however, the normal version will give comparable colour reproduction, so if you are not that bothered / budget is a limiting factor, get the normal version. Will do just fine :)

as RobertP says though, it really is a must have filter.

It's a must for landscapes I think trev. I get the pro ones from HK and they are genuine, so much cheaper too, I got an 82mm one for about 40 quid I think and they are closer to 140 here. The effect is dependant on the angle you are to the sun, this is quite noticeable if you see pano's done with a CPL

The effect can be much stronger than this but shot through the window just now...

Without Polariser
polarisernotfitted.jpg

And With Polariser
polariserfitted.jpg

You can see the difference in the sky and reflections on the cars.

Every tog should have one in his or her's bag. Not something to use all the time but invaluable at times.

Every tog should have one in his or her's bag. Not something to use all the time but invaluable at times.

That was going to be my next question (y)
I take it you just really get it out for landscapes and not use it for shooting into the sun? (something I do a lot to gte nice sillohettes (however thats spelt lol)

I keep a uv filter on all the time but thats really just a lens protector as it seems to do nothing else :cautious:

I like the singh-ray gold 'n' blue polariser. Link.
It produces some great effects but is not your normal polariser.
This was 3 shots stiched together.

Some more taken with it here.

Time for my example polariser shot :D

It cuts down reflections ..

polarizer.jpg

and yes , I'm still saving up to buy the rest of it :p

Thanks Trev. I registered here ages ago and then... erm... forgot! Too many forums!

You were saying about silhouettes and shooting into the sun.
A polarizer is less useful in these situations I'd say, as it's greatest effect is at 90 degrees to the sun.
I'd use a Graduated neutral density filter, to create a nice sun 'disc' shape rather than a blown out supernova blob effect with no definition that usually results.

Cheers!

I tend not to keep my un polarized shots, but the one I show here would have come out with the ducks and coypu looking very dark and the water surface being white from the suns reflection. With the polarizer you can see the detail under the water with 99% of reflections removed etc:

2271940914_7a2163a170.jpg

Does it matter on the brand of polarizer?

58mm CPL Circular Polarizer Filter Double Thread £10+ on ebay
Hoya 58mm Circular Polarizing Glass Filter £17.99

If HOYA then only black series - and these are too expensive for the quality then can offer. I don't like HOYA's as it's very hard to clean them. I use Marumi filters - very good quality (as I've said, in my opinion superior to HOYA) and no problem with cleaning. If you have more cash, I'd consider B+W or - if you REALLY can afford it - the best of the best: Heliopan. :)

had my CP filter for a week and so far its not come off my lens, nor do i plan to take it of in the foreseeable future - its too good :D

Yeah I found that even outside when its cloudy, it can be too slow with a long focal length (eg100mm)

Back