Polaroid 110A 4x5 Conversion

Have you seen the half dark slide method? Gives you two shots of 4x2.5 per sheet. Adds another layer of confusion but it's much cheaper than a pano roll film back.

I haven't but sounds interesting. I assume it's a simple as it sounds and basically masks off half of the 4x5 sheet for each shot? I've got a spare DDS that I'm incorporating into my light block so have a spare dark slide I could cut in half.

Thanks for the idea Steve :0)

Right, I'm ready to test it out :0)

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1454079454.408169.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1454079462.506565.jpg

This should result in an image around 47x120mm with a few mm in between each frame to separate them.

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1454079577.019342.jpg

Thanks for the idea Steve, just need to paint the metal edge of the dark slide so I know which half is blocked and I'm ready to get confused and get lots of multiple exposure panoramas ;0)

Last edited:
The only real issue I can see with this method is that the 2 panoramas are taken using the top and bottom of the lens circle which is never the sharpest. Then again, compared to the alternative of buying a dedicated 6x12 back or shooting a single panoramic image across the middle of the 4x5 sheet this is a much cheaper option for someone like me that probably won't shoot too many panoramas.

Probably not such a problem with a more normal LF camera where the lenses are (probably) a bit sharper.

The only real issue I can see with this method is that the 2 panoramas are taken using the top and bottom of the lens circle which is never the sharpest.

I think this was mentioned in one of the links above. Vignetting was also mentioned. T'other Steve is right, less likely to be an issue with a "proper" LF lens with a larger image circle. Does your lens show softness at the edges and/or vignetting?

It's not showing any obvious vignetting in the shots I've taken so far but I haven't shot anything on a bright day with light sky etc which will show anything more obviously. I guess the only way to know for sure is to go and shoot something.

I'm shooting a wedding on Valentine's Day and the B&G have already asked me about shooting some medium format film alongside my digital. Wonder how they feel about Large Format? ;0)

Last edited:
I've just popped out on my lunch from work and shot a couple of sheets of Astia 100. I'm really liking the portability of this camera considering I've got the camera, 2 DDS holders, the ground glass holder and a Manfrotto Pixi tripod all in a small bag that I normally hold my digital A6000 and 2 lenses in.

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1454510148.694985.jpg

ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1454510155.679631.jpg

Just need to see the results :0)

Well, the time has come to move on to another project :0) I've just listed the 110a in the classifieds here and will be putting it on Ebay later on today;

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...tom-polaroid-110a-large-format-camera.615885/

Thanks for all the advice and feedback along the way guys, I really appreciate the combined knowledge of everyone here when it comes to building these project cameras.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Back