Polaroid SX-70 Project

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
It’s been while since I’ve started a new project thread, mainly because my non-Chroma workshop time is pretty limited, and I wasn’t sure this warranted its’ own thread yet (before it’s all finished) but I’ve been slowly working on a Chrome/Tan Polaroid SX70 that I picked up for a low price due to its’ unknown working status.

It was listed on EBay as, “..looks ok but hasn’t been film tested”, which usually means “knackered”, but I took a gamble and bought it. When it arrived I found the common fault of snapped door retaining clip (strangely not mentioned in the listing..) so first had to source a replacement clip from America. Once I’d installed that, I found the plastic pin on the hinged door had snapped off at some point (probably the same time the retaining clip was snapped!). After failing to find a replacement tan door anywhere, I rebuilt the plastic pin on the original door with a small piece of acrylic instead.

Finally, I now had a fully functioning SX70 and went out to use it...no I didn’t, that would be too simple [emoji6]

Instead, I decided to convert it to shoot 600 film by following a guide online to replace the capacitor on the main circuit board that controls the light meter. The guide talked about the addition of a switch to keep the original capacitor, as well as fit a replacement, and switch between them to keep compatibility with both SX70 and 600 film, so I wired it up quickly to test it out;

IMG_2052.JPG

Once I knew the theory worked. I started looking at ways to integrate the switch into the body somehow then came up with an alternative solution;

IMG_2650.JPG

The new 2.5mm plug on the top allows me to plugin either capacitor externally, and switch the light meter between 125 and 600 iso whenever I want to. I’ve also drawn up and printed two ISO “keys” to make them easier to handle.

IMG_2684.JPG

IMG_2685.JPG

I still need to design a slim holder for the unused key, which will be attached to the body somewhere, otherwise I know I’ll lose it!

I’ve also got some wenge wood veneer which I’m going to laser cut to re-skin the camera. Finally, I’ve been doodling an external USB-charged lipo battery box, which will attach to the bottom of the camera with embedded magnets, and supply power so I can use I-type film as well, as it has 10 shots instead of 8 (it doesn’t have a battery inside the film pack so can fit two more shots).

Last edited:
I admire your skill, creativity, determination and madness. I hope you're pleased with the finished result.

Thanks. I think it’s my overactive mind that’s always working on something (and definitely a little madness!).

I’m going to pick up some 600 film this weekend and, all being well, get the camera re-skinned next week. I’ve also got a 5-6v boost circuit coming tomorrow so I can (in theory at least) power the camera externally with a lipo battery.

Wow!

Firstly, that’s very clever to do it interchangeable like that! Very creative and definitely something I can see being a popular modification should folk want to do it. Constantly impressed with your innovation.

Secondly, does this mean you’re now a very local repairer should any of our three SX-70s stop working?!

Wow!

Firstly, that’s very clever to do it interchangeable like that! Very creative and definitely something I can see being a popular modification should folk want to do it. Constantly impressed with your innovation.

Secondly, does this mean you’re now a very local repairer should any of our three SX-70s stop working?!

Thanks. I think it’s my engineering mind that’s always drawn to SX-70s, as this is the fourth one I’ve had. The way they open/close and manage their 428-ish(!) interconnecting switches/gears is amazing.

With regards to repairing them...they’re generally a pita and I wouldn’t want to work on someone else’s camera ;0) I’m happy to offer advise but I don’t think I’m the person to carry out repairs. Sorry about that [emoji1303]

Another interesting project/post!

Completely OT but I can never see anything about Polaroid without remembering this clip on YouTube where Edwin Land memorably ”invents” and demonstrates an imaginary iPhone in 1970:

View: https://youtu.be/zbmq9R0dtVg

... though he sees it as an iCamera rather than a phone. It’s toward the end, around 12’30”., though the whole thing is only 17 mins. I expect you’ve all seen it, so sorry ;) !

Completely OT but I can never see anything about Polaroid without remembering this clip on YouTube where Edwin Land memorably ”invents” and demonstrates an imaginary iPhone in 1970:

... though he sees it as an iCamera rather than a phone. It’s toward the end, around 12’30”., though the whole thing is only 17 mins. I expect you’ve all seen it, so sorry ;) !

I haven’t seen that so I’ll take a look, cheers.

Furthering OT discussion, "A Triumph Of Genius" has been on my wishlist for Audible for some time now. Apparently it's a very interesting read.

I’ve just watched it, thanks for the link. I can see where Steve Jobs got his presentation style in the way he talks about the future and you’re just willing him to show you what he’s working on.

I’ve just watched it, thanks for the link. I can see where Steve Jobs got his presentation style in the way he talks about the future and you’re just willing him to show you what he’s working on.

Steve Jobs listed Edwin Land as one of his heroes in that respect. I’ve read his biography. The video (might be the one linked, can’t watch now) where he debuts the SX-70 is amazing.

Steve Jobs listed Edwin Land as one of his heroes in that respect. I’ve read his biography. The video (might be the one linked, can’t watch now) where he debuts the SX-70 is amazing.
No, this is is 1970 and I think the SX70 was 1972 but the factory he’s introducing is presumably the one where the SX70 Iis going to be made.
Watching him you can’t hep thinking of Steve Jobs and wondering if the bit I referred to, around 12’30’, gave Jobs the idea for the smartphone.

No, this is is 1970 and I think the SX70 was 1972 but the factory he’s introducing is presumably the one where the SX70 Iis going to be made.
Watching him you can’t hep thinking of Steve Jobs and wondering if the bit I referred to, around 12’30’, gave Jobs the idea for the smartphone.

Will watch after work! Sounds amazing.

Back