Police caution for using a tripod on Hampstead Heath

Haha... not at all what I was expecting. Nice story.

It's good to know that we are living in a crime-free society and we can rest assured that our law enforcement officers have the time to stop such heinous crimes as using a tripod in a park and preventing a 4 year old child from riding her bike on the pavement.

All is well in our green and pleasant land and we need not worry about anything more than rogue editors using a tripod in the wrong place.

:LOL: that is the first thing I have read in the Grauniad in several years that I have enjoyed reading. As I sit here typing, I am a five minute walk from Hampstead Heath and had no idea the by-laws prevented the use of a tripod, albeit I have had no cause to use one there either.

Last edited:
LOL
Personally I wouldn't have accepted the caution, I hate silly laws. Surly I could argue disability discrimination and the 'stand apparatus' was a disability aid?
I wonder what the logic is? I know if you use night sights you see lots of 'standing apparatus' there!!!

LOL
Personally I wouldn't have accepted the caution, I hate silly laws. Surly I could argue disability discrimination and the 'stand apparatus' was a disability aid?
I wonder what the logic is? I know if you use night sights you see lots of 'standing apparatus' there!!!

When I saw the thread title, I wondered if this tripod was a prop from some war of worlds theme park ;)

It's good to know that we are living in a crime-free society and we can rest assured that our law enforcement officers have the time to stop such heinous crimes as using a tripod in a park and preventing a 4 year old child from riding her bike on the pavement.

All is well in our green and pleasant land and we need not worry about anything more than rogue editors using a tripod in the wrong place.
You may care to check the policing arrangements for Hampstead Heath before making generalisations.. the officers in question only enforce the law within the boundaries of the park. They have no responsibility at all for any crimes of a more or less heinous nature that may be occurring elsewhere in the country.

.. such as secondary deployment of low grade sarcasm..

LOL

Hampstead Heath is a private park (owned by The Corporation of London) with public access subject to the local bylaws. There's a notice to that effect at most of the entrances. You would be done.

Thanks Alistair, I was unaware that the park had its own Police Officers, I assume it must be a troubled park.

For the record I have a lot of respect for those involved with Policing our country, especially those on the front lines, but I do sometimes wonder if the resource is used to best effect.

Apologies for derailing the thread.

Chris

Blimey!
"specifically S11 of LCC bylaws of 1932 banning any “photographic stand apparatus"

Can we still shoot Welshmen in Chester after dark?

This makes a mockery of the "caution" system - a large group of photographers should all turn up "en masse" with tripods. I seem to remember a video of a similar "flash mob" somewhere else with anti-photo rules.

I wouldn't have accepted the caution either because unless I am mistaken the breach of the by laws is a civil matter and as such the police have no jurisdiction under which to issue and official caution

I wouldn't have accepted the caution either because unless I am mistaken the breach of the by laws is a civil matter and as such the police have no jurisdiction under which to issue and official caution
Apparently a "caution" is still a police record which NEVER EXPIRES so seems out of all proportion to the actual offence when speeding (a far more serious offence in terms of actual damage it could potentially cause, such as death and disablement) just gets a small fine rather that a CRIMINAL RECORD.

"And for £60 we could use the tripod, for the remaining 5 minutes " I bet they forgot the by-law after the payment................

Apparently a "caution" is still a police record which NEVER EXPIRES so seems out of all proportion to the actual offence when speeding (a far more serious offence in terms of actual damage it could potentially cause, such as death and disablement) just gets a small fine rather that a CRIMINAL RECORD.
Got done for spending maybe 10 years ago now. Just got a caution and a fine. Never have i speed before.

Was going 36mph on a 30mph Road

Should bloody well think so too! I think the police should have gone further and banged him up for a few months, barely less of a crime than rape and murder!

I suspect it was a fixed penalty fine rather than a criminal caution!

Thanks Alistair, I was unaware that the park had its own Police Officers, I assume it must be a troubled park.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

troubled... let me see.... swanky country house at one end, natural ponds that are used for swimming in the middle, posh duck pond at the other end. Frequented mainly by the middle classes of Highgate and Hampstead, and their designer dogs/latest lycra for running/cycling, and general local haunt of bill oddie. The only trouble hampstead heath has ever had is the lattes running out in the cafe and what goes on behind the bushes in secluded areas late at night involving consenting adults. ;)

The City of London Corporation is just another name for a rotten borough (or Local Authority).
I have had many run ins with the police there (or security guards as I know they like to be called).
Has @boliston has stated a caution is you admitting the crime and agreeing getting a police record. that is why I refuse. I want my day in court or you can go walk.
I have far too much time and far too few assets in my name for them to be bothered (normally).

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

troubled... let me see.... swanky country house at one end, natural ponds that are used for swimming in the middle, posh duck pond at the other end. Frequented mainly by the middle classes of Highgate and Hampstead, and their designer dogs/latest lycra for running/cycling, and general local haunt of bill oddie. The only trouble hampstead heath has ever had is the lattes running out in the cafe and what goes on behind the bushes in secluded areas late at night involving consenting adults. ;)

Ah, the infamous latte riots that set the good people of Highgate and Hampstead against each other until supplies were replenished!

It sounds like quite a park, but I don't think I'll swap it for the Peak District National Park, even if finding a latte is not always easy up here in the frozen wastelands of the North.

Chris

Ah, the infamous latte riots that set the good people of Highgate and Hampstead against each other until supplies were replenished!

It sounds like quite a park, but I don't think I'll swap it for the Peak District National Park, even if finding a latte is not always easy up here in the frozen wastelands of the North.

Chris
Does the Peak District count as the North?

Does the Peak District count as the North?

Good question. To my work colleagues from Hampshire, yes it is very definitely "up north", but you could argue that it's not truly Northern.

Now we really have derailed the thread, sorry to the OP.

Chris

a supervisor who, after due consideration, allowed us to use a tripod for the remaining five minutes of the shoot for a consideration of £60

I dunno - bribing the Old Bill at £20 each :)

What I find interesting is that it was an LCC (London County Council) bylaw not a City of London Corporation one?

Now the days of the LCC are long gone..................so how many bylaws of that time let alone 1932 are still active? Also someone please post a picture of the signage at the entrances that explicitly state that no "photographic support apparatus" can be used?

Yes, the bylaws various exist but it beggars belief that the obscure ones are still acted on in the 21st Century :LOL:

Edit:- found the HH website and a linky to a pdf of the by-laws and it is a "Page not found"...and a search of the site for such a doc finds nothing....how very helpful. Oh and on the site it says there are 24 officers covering the heath 24/7

Last edited:
The Heath is in Camdon (I think) but London Corporation manage it?!
The 24 constables (not actually police) have full powers only on the Heath, apparently some kind of loop hole.
We need a solicitor type to explain how anyone is suppossed to know that a strange bye law exists in a tiny place in the country. Ignorance may be no defence but you need at least a clue that one might exist.

The Heath is in Camdon (I think) but London Corporation manage it?!
The 24 constables (not actually police) have full powers only on the Heath, apparently some kind of loop hole.
We need a solicitor type to explain how anyone is suppossed to know that a strange bye law exists in a tiny place in the country. Ignorance may be no defence but you need at least a clue that one might exist.

a) Where is Camdon?

b) No, they own it, they don't manage it.

c) By the very fact that they are sworn constables, they are police.

d) Why do you need a solicitor to explain what it printed at the entrance to the park?

https://miladysboudoir.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/hampstead-heath-and-daunts.jpg

Crumbs talk about small print on that sign.......like all such small print I wonder how many folk have read it all???

Back