Polypan Party With A Theme Of P.

Yes I used HC-110 dilution B and 9.5 mins as per massive dev chart. The tin can exposure times are a fairly uneducated guess anyway so I think it shows that Polypan has plenty of latitude ;)

Thanks guys. I obviously didn't look very hard (a "Dad look"!) because there it is under P. And I see Polypan means it's on a polyester base, which could be fun in the Rondinax; last polyester film I tried, the guillotine wouldn't cut it, and I had to open up and use some scissors! I guess if Ian has just taped them on, I could try some brute force, not that I've much of it, these days... Else I could give the Lab-box another go; the guillotinein that is literally razor sharp (but uses 300 ml of chems, oh no!).

I cut the pieces for the tin can shots easily enough. If you are talking about separating the end of the film from the spool, I always just tear the tape, seems to work.

My films arrived, hopefully it will stop raining long enough to get out with the camera soon.

I cut the pieces for the tin can shots easily enough. If you are talking about separating the end of the film from the spool, I always just tear the tape, seems to work.

In the Rondinax tank (and the Lab-box), the film goes into the top of the tank in its spool, lid goes on, then it's wound in to the spool and guillotined off at the end. This works fine for most films which are acetate-based, but I've had trouble with polyester-based films. I'll just have to see how well it works with this film. At least now I had a dark bag, so I don't have to retreat under the stairs like last time!

Well what a monumental cock-up! Sorry Ian @Harlequin565, but this is what happens when you give perfectly good film to numpties.

We got a bit of light this afternoon and domestic duties being largely under control I nipped out with the Pentax ME Super in which I have had the Polypan loaded for a few weeks. I took a couple of shots but on the third the shutter stuck open - arrg - fiddled about a bit but it wasn't for closing so I stuffed it back in the bag and came home. At this point I had shot around 20 frames so I thought the best thing to do was rewind it because I had already cut a bit off for the pin holes so it must be near the end.

However on rewinding it didn't feel right, it didn't feel like it was actually rewinding so I put it in the dark bag, popped the back and there was no film out of the can. I'm fairly sure that I double checked that it was engaged properly when I loaded it so I don't know what has happened.

So what to do? reload, reshoot and on the basis of "honour thy mistakes as hidden intentions" claim that my p theme was "Plural" Exposure or process the possibly unexposed film, which seems a shame?

...there was no film out of the can.

I hate it when this happens. I'm so paranoid about it now that I always check to make sure the other wind on spool revolves when I wind on so I know it's coming off the can.
Don't know what to suggest. Whatever you think is best I suppose :)

So what to do? reload, reshoot and on the basis of "honour thy mistakes as hidden intentions" claim that my p theme was "Plural" Exposure or process the possibly unexposed film, which seems a shame?
If you're going to process it anyway, I'd be tempted to reload and reshoot at least some of the film. You could hedge your bets by stopping midway and you'll either have a dozen single exposures and a dozen blank, or else a dozen double exposures and a dozen singles. Processing a possibly blank film at this stage seems to be the worst option? :thinking:

I was erring towards reshooting it, it's got to be better than having nothing but perhaps this time I'll put it in the Canon 5, I've lost a bit of confidence in the Pentax despite it being my favourite 35mm film camera.

My roll is in my 1978 Pentax ME, AFAIK it's winding on properly, but I'll try to check next time I take it out. So far it's not really been in great light, better hang on till after Christmas...

Got to say many thanks to Ian @Harlequin565 for providing the film and organising this, I'm really impressed with the results I got from the Polypan and would definitely use it again.

I also should have said that the above were shot at ISO 50 and developed in XTOL Stock for 7 mins

Got to say many thanks to Ian @Harlequin565 for providing the film and organising this, I'm really impressed with the results I got from the Polypan and would definitely use it again.

I also should have said that the above were shot at ISO 50 and developed in XTOL Stock for 7 mins
:plus1: for the thanks to Ian, and really pleased that your reshoot turned out such fine results Chris. (y)

I really like that "Past Times" shot and the bloom showing through. Nice work Chris.

I have now finished my roll (at EI 200). Two outings the first quite dull, the second more dull than I'd hoped (but a little bit of brightness). So this is the best bit of film photography, the bit where I don't know how bad my shots are yet!

Here's a contact sheet of my results. They look quite nice here, but I've fecked a lot of them up due to camera shake. :facepalm: This is a pity as some of the ones that suffer are quite nice. I'll post some of the better individual images in a few days when I've uploaded them to Flickr.

I've now learned that shooting 50asa film using my OM-1 with my 75-150mm zoom causes shake (even when using a tripod and cable release). I'll use mirror-lock-up if I do this again.

They were all shot around a plantation of pines in the Peak District. :)

Polypan F
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Last edited:
Here're some of the better individual images. All Olympus OM-1 with the 50mm f/1.8 & 75-150mm f/4 Zuiko lenses. I seem to have quite a lot of grain given the film's rating. They were devved in XTOL. Some of the noise might be from my post processing too.

FILM - Battles with brambles

FILM - Southern boundary

FILM - Pipeline passage

FILM - Through Lady Canning's Plantation

FILM - Glade

FILM - Trig point

FILM - Ox Stones

FILM - Strata

Last edited:
4 & 5 are outstanding Nige.

Really interesting to see the quality and content of all the folks using exactly the same film.

Sorry guys I haven't even loaded mine into a camera yet, too many annoyances getting in the way at the moment. I did retrieve the Voigtlander Bessamatic from its current hidey hole this morning so hopefully I will get the roll loaded and shot before too long.

Sorry guys I haven't even loaded mine into a camera yet, too many annoyances getting in the way at the moment. I did retrieve the Voigtlander Bessamatic from its current hidey hole this morning so hopefully I will get the roll loaded and shot before too long.

No need to apologise Andy. Like I said there's no expiry date on these threads AFAIK. I seem to recall some thread about a bloke getting stuck on an island that's still going after a few years! Just post the results up here when you get round to it.

(y)

This Flickr thread has lots of recipes for Polypan F. I found one with several in HC 110, including 14:30 for EI 200 in Solution B. Most of the EI 200 recipes I've found are stand or semi-stand, so I'll probably be basing mine around that 14:30 time (or 85% of it, for the Rondinax or Lab-Box).

https://www.flickr.com/groups/44223278@N00/discuss/72157594528127396/

This Flickr thread has lots of recipes for Polypan F. I found one with several in HC 110, including 14:30 for EI 200 in Solution B. Most of the EI 200 recipes I've found are stand or semi-stand, so I'll probably be basing mine around that 14:30 time (or 85% of it, for the Rondinax or Lab-Box).

https://www.flickr.com/groups/44223278@N00/discuss/72157594528127396/

... but in the end, for various reasons, I sent the film off to AG Photolab, with an extra 50p for a 2-stop push. I've got the negatives back but not yet scanned them. Compared to a roll of FP4+ shot at 125, the negs are very thin, so I'm not quite sure what I'm going to get out of them. My fault for ignoring the "shoot on a sunny day" advice (TBF there weren't any sunny days when I was able to go out shooting).

BF there weren't any sunny days when I was able to go out shooting
With hindsight I realised that my timing of this idea was less than optimal :)

Hope you got something usable out of it....

May I humbly beg your forgiveness by talking about Polypan and showing some examples even though I wasn't in attendance at this party ?

I bought some Polypan in 2015. I probably bought a few rolls although I can only find evidence of having shot one roll, in an Olympus 35ECR. The film was developed in a Firstcall-branded version of Rollei RHS DC-74. The results were OK except that some of the images show a lot of very small black marks - perhaps they were pinprick holes although I'd need to dig the negatives out to be sure.

There was only one image which seemed to show the "glow" that was said to be a particular property of Polypan:

2015-8, Oly 35ECR, Polypan, ISO50, Firstcall dev 1+15 5m 20c, 010.jpg

I liked this one enough to make a darkroom print which is on my wall.

2015-8, Oly 35ECR, Polypan, ISO50, Firstcall dev 1+15 5m 20c, 002.jpg

Above, you may be able to see the black dots in the sky.

2015-8, Oly 35ECR, Polypan, ISO50, Firstcall dev 1+15 5m 20c, 004.jpg

More black dots above.

It is possible that the black dots were due to a handling error by me, or by the seller who rolled the cassettes from bulk. But the main reason I didn't use or buy any more was that, whilst the images were mostly OK, the film didn't seem to offer anything I couldn't get from the major brands. By the time I bought it, I think the really cheap deals on bulk Polypan were gone. If it had been really cheap, I may have persevered. At the moment I'm shooting bulk FP4+ at about £2.70 per 35mm exposures, although I was lucky to get a cheaper-than-usual roll.

That's a nice set, Kevin. The middle one is well worth the wall place.

As expected, mine are generally carp, not surprising given almost completely transparent negatives. They were shot at 200 (my suggestion: don't do this!), and developed by AG-Photolab with a requested 2-stop push (though they have written "+1" on the negative label), presumably in Negastar. Vuescan did its best against the odds, with predictable results. The 3 I've chosen were in slightly better light.

1) Finham Brook... this one is my favourite and shows the least noise

2001APMEBW19.jpg

2) Walking the Pooch near Kenilworth Castle (besieged by Parliament in the Civil War, if you want another P). Maybe there's a bit of "glow" there, although TBH I've no idea what this actually is!

2001APMEBW22.jpg

3) Fountain in the Queen's Privy Garden, Kenilworth Castle

2001APMEBW23.jpg

I'm very grateful to Ian @Harlequin565 for the film and the opportunity to try it out, thanks Ian. A couple of observations... the negatives seem to me to have a slightly blue tone. I was surprised by the lack of edge markings indicating film type etc. I finally worked out that bulk rolls wouldn't have frame numbers, d'oh!

Anyway, like Kevin I don't think I'd be seeking an opportunity to use this again!

Back