Pondering Film vs Digital, yet again.

Ohh, something I forgot to mention, I only just remembered it today.

When I got the Nikon film camera out yesterday, just to ponder and have silly gooey thoughts over again. The missus saw me looking at it, and asked "is that your real Camera?"

This thread inspired me to get back to developing some films I've had sat in the fridge for a while - images below (so thank you for that :) ) it doesn't matter how many portraits I shoot on digital, film just always seems to feel better to me - I re-shot most of my portfolio last year on film & it was the best thing I could have done.

wQWk98k.jpg

3DqLEH3.jpg

This thread inspired me to get back to developing some films I've had sat in the fridge for a while - images below (so thank you for that :) ) it doesn't matter how many portraits I shoot on digital, film just always seems to feel better to me - I re-shot most of my portfolio last year on film & it was the best thing I could have done.

wQWk98k.jpg

3DqLEH3.jpg

Just glad I was able to make a worthwhile thread. Well done with the photos.

I think it's worth making sure everyone is considering like for like. Comparing a D850 to an M3 isn't the same. You can't pick the M3 up and "snap away". But a D850 and an F100 with the same lens? Surely they are both just as easy to pick up and shoot with, they will both meter roughly the same, and will both take roughly the same amount of time to use?

Film *can be* much slower than digital. But it can also be just as quick. My RB67 is mega slow and if when I miss focus, the images are carp. However the 645n (which can be auto-everything) is just as quick to use as my X-T2 and just as quick to go semi-auto. Images look great.

For me though, it has nothing to do with speed. I just don't like the results from my digital camera. They are clinical and empty and they require me to do stuff in Lightroom that I don't enjoy doing. With film, I enjoy the process and enjoy the fact that overall - it's quicker for me, because other than sharpening and dust, straight out of camera works best for me. Your mileage may very well vary though! @Ed Sutton shoots digital because he's lazy, and I shoot film because I'm lazy!

I guess the reason for this, is that when I started with film properly (2010), I compared images taken on an EOS650 to images taken on my 50D and said they were rubbish. But they were rubbish because my scanning method was a joke. Like anything, investing time and money will garner results and if you don't want to do that, then digital will absolutely be the best choice.

Last edited:
I think it just depends on personal preferences.
I sold off all of my film cameras, except for my large format one, as soon as full frame digital cameras became available that could beat the quality of my RZ67, and I did that for purely commercial reasons - my clients wanted a different type of photography. I chose my moment well, and got good prices for them.

But later, nostalgia kicked in and I bought myself a Nikon F100. I don't actually use it but I like it, and it cost me very little. I eventually sold my Sinar P2 large format camera, again because I no longer needed it for my work but nostalgia is edging me towards buying another one, simply because of what it can achieve, even though I will probably just play with it and save the cost of the film and polaroids:)

I did fire the camera yesterday, I forgot how bloody noisy it was. Although looking through the viewfinder, with the 50mm 1.8D on, surprised just how much I could get in the frame. Now if only I had a roll of film knocking about. Sticking the batteries in and the meter shows a three full bars, and I am sure the batteries are the original that came with the camera.

Don't shy John, say what you REALLY mean! :LOL::LOL:

OK, next time I am out shopping in the City, I will make an effort to hunt a roll down. I am sure I can find a shop that will have a roll or two. Yes, I know I can order online, but you know, that is too easy. At least out shopping, I can always say, I did not find any.

Joking aside, you'll often pay a lot more for a roll of film from a shop.. sometimes not much less for one roll as 7 Day are selling 3 rolls for. I found that buying a roll from Boots when I first got back into shooting film again. It was the only place I could find that still sold it in my local town!

OK that's it. I will get some film, and I will get out and take some photos. I will also try and post some, in the film section. That is if I can find my scanner, I have not used it in years.

Not been in to Boots for a while but I'm pretty sure that last time I did, they had a selection of film. Failing that, Snappy Snaps or Jessops.

I love film but not the cost, the cost with Digital is great ( once you've brought the camera) But the results for me are just missing something, I'll agree technically better in some ways but I do tend to get at least 10 times as many crap photos with digital, blown high lights are a real bug bare for me. I tend to take more photos I know will just not work on the off chance that they will and then end up spending time on a computer trying to fix them. I don't like sitting in front of a computer when it comes to photography I see it as two different things. A bit like going for a ride on my bicycle or a walk with my dogs in lovely countryside only to know I have to pay for this later by sitting in front of a computer for 2 hours, it would sort of take the edge off the enjoyment. The nearest I can get to a happy medium between the two methods is to use my manual focus lenses on the Sony making me feel that I have inputted more to the photo and stopping me taking so many or use my phone and an app to create film like images.

I will have a little dabble, and see how things go. You never know, I might thoroughly enjoy it. Just wondering what I might photograph. Even with a film camera, taking photos on the street, might be a pain, with todays miserable gits. I don't really want to ruin the precious photos, by taking sneaky candid shots. But on the other hand, I don't want to take family photos, because I can't post them on the net.

OK that's it. I will get some film, and I will get out and take some photos. I will also try and post some, in the film section. That is if I can find my scanner, I have not used it in years.
If you are in the UK and willing to pay postage I will send you a film. DM me if you are in the UK.

If you are in the UK and willing to pay postage I will send you a film. DM me if you are in the UK.

Thanks for your kind offer, but I have promised to get off my backside and get some bought.

Ahh, the spirit of TP is awesome. What with the kind offer from @Asha also. :)

Yes but there is a catch to accepting offers of free film.......

You have to produce a Masterpiece!:runaway:

With that in mind, possibly best to buy your own! :LOL::LOL:

You ought to try the Film and Conventional section of TP then, it's inhabited by absolute ladies and gentlemen who are polite, funny, talented and very helpful.. plus the odd stray badger! ;)

There is no going back now, a bit scared also. Having to get it right in camera, no RAW to fall back on. :oops: :$

I love film but not the cost, the cost with Digital is great ( once you've brought the camera)

I often find that argument a strange one when digital camera owners tend to chase the upgrade cycle with the continuous cost. Not saying that you do that, but a lot of folk do!
With film equipment, unless GAS kicks in for all the beautiful old stuff, you can get a really nice body and lens combination for cheap and then spend the rest on film!

Oh and by brought, I suspect you mean bought? :D :p

I love film but not the cost, the cost with Digital is great ( once you've brought the camera) But the results for me are just missing something, I'll agree technically better in some ways but I do tend to get at least 10 times as many crap photos with digital, blown high lights are a real bug bare for me. I tend to take more photos I know will just not work on the off chance that they will and then end up spending time on a computer trying to fix them. I don't like sitting in front of a computer when it comes to photography I see it as two different things. A bit like going for a ride on my bicycle or a walk with my dogs in lovely countryside only to know I have to pay for this later by sitting in front of a computer for 2 hours, it would sort of take the edge off the enjoyment. The nearest I can get to a happy medium between the two methods is to use my manual focus lenses on the Sony making me feel that I have inputted more to the photo and stopping me taking so many or use my phone and an app to create film like images.

I shoot on digital with a similar frame of mind to film (in general) & I look forward to the editing where I know I can enhance the images just that little bit to get them where I pictured them at the time ;)

I walk around (woodlands, forests, hills, countryside etc) with the camera in the backpack. Only when I find a scene that I think will really work or look really nice do I consider getting the camera out (in general). Hence I can sometimes come home with a handful of shots from a morning out but I know they will be worth transferring to the PC & putting a bit of time into. The A7, in full manual mode, 2 second timer on a tripod & with the beautiful to use manual Voigtlander 40/1.2 is close enough to a film camera to me with the lovely addition of a histogram to control exposure. I love using it.

Anyway, it should be film "in addition to" digital not versus ;)

I've just bought 2 new film cameras to add to the 2 I already had but hadn't used for 15 years. Just found a bag of unexposed rolls of film, some with expiry dates of 2002, so can't wait to see what that comes out like. There's something far more enjoyable about film photography. The challenge, jeaopardy and anticipation adding to the excitement.

I do tend to get at least 10 times as many crap photos with digital, blown high lights are a real bug bare for me. I tend to take more photos I know will just not work on the off chance that they will and then end up spending time on a computer trying to fix them.
Oh dear, poor Brad! It sounds as if you're lazy about putting the effort in at the exposure stage. Blown highlights are a common risk which can be mitigated, first by paying attention to exposure, and then occasionally by taking a second image with less exposure. Some people no doubt bracket freely and often? But I'm all for economy both of intent and of means.

Sometimes I blow highlights - I try not to, but I'm not perfect and the pace of life has to be taken into account.

You've noted that there's a problem though, and hinted at its character. So why don't you seem to be addressing it? Cameras have controls! (too many of them, these days, granted, but you don't have to use them all - just the ones that are useful to you).

Talking more generally, it seems that there's an aspect of amateur photography that often manifests, and I wonder if it's connected at root to photography being engaged with primarily as a mode of shopping (equating to fantasy fulfillment)? So you've bought the gear (because you've fantasised / agonised about it) - but then problems arise (more agonising). Did you buy the right one? Might another one be better? And - this can be the secret killer, the orca that hunts under the surface - what to do with it? So better use it. That was a component of the fantasy, after all, wasn't it - that you would? The raison d'être for the spend?

Then might come the often-heard cry, "I've lost my mojo", or "I haven't used my camera for 3 months, and feel that there's something wrong with me".

Why should such a thing matter?

For those of us who are wholly amateurs, shouldn't it be about having (albeit maybe serious) fun engaging with a mode of personal expression? Why stress about it? A psychologist (we won't mention psychiatrists at this point) could have a field day.

Phew!

And film? Digital? They have different, overlapping characters. Embrace what you find useful. Discard the rest. But pay the utmost attention to the results - which'll set up a feedback loop and inform what happens next.

Last edited:
I shoot on digital with a similar frame of mind to film (in general)
So do I, but a lot more freely because there's no worry about the expense per shot. And if I'm going somewhere I usually pack a camera, and as you said it may never leave its bag all day because I haven't seen a photograph.
:)

Why am I finding the relatively simple task, of buying some film, to then load into the camera, to then get out and take some photos, to then get them developed, such a daunting prospect? It is not the process of getting hold of film, I can order it online easy enough, I have even had two kind offers of film, from two generous members on this forum. It is not getting them developed, processed or scanned, whatever the term now is for film. I think it is more the taking of the photos, I mean, what do I take photos of?

Back in the day, when all you had was film, it was easy. You simply took photos of the family, in their Sunday best. You went to the park with your family, for a picnic, you took photos again. While at the park feeding the ducks, you took photos of the ducks.

I don't really feel inclined to take film photos of my food, like we do so readily now, with digital. That brings me back to the first part of my post, what do I take photos of, with film?

I suppose I could pop into my nearest City Centre, and take photos there, even thought I feel that is now more suited to digital.

IMG_2720.JPG

After being nagged gently persuaded by fellow members, I have gotten myself a roll of film this morning. I only popped out for a loaf and some milk, but I passed a poundland, so I went in. They only had 1 roll left, so I got it. Just looking at it now, it is only 10 exposures, suppose I can't moan for £1. Hardly seems worth doing anything, with just 10 exposures.

Well done that man! The plus points are that you can find out if your camera still works, see if you can remember how to load a roll of film in it and test your photographic skills again.

The minus point is that it will cost you the same to develop and scan as a 36 exposure film would (one of the reasons most of us F&C lot tend to prefer 36 exp rolls). Once used, I wouldn't take it to a cheap and cheerful local print shop though, as the quality of service can vary, and if they did make a pigs ear of it you won't know if it was you, your camera or them! To get you started try sending it to: https://www.ag-photolab.co.uk/

If you hunt around on their website you should find a freepost address to send it to them, so it will only cost you a padded envelope to send it. After that, they'll send a freepost padded envelope back with the negatives and scan CD, so you can use that next time. It usually takes around 3 to 4 working days from putting the film in the post-box to your negs/scans arriving back through the letterbox (providing you make that day's post collection!). Hope this is useful, and best of luck. (y)

Last edited:
film loading.JPG

All ready to load the film, now lets see... Just line things up, and motor does the rest.

Should I continue this over in the Film Photography section?

Back