Pondering Film vs Digital, yet again.

Oh dear, poor Brad! It sounds as if you're lazy about putting the effort in at the exposure stage. Blown highlights are a common risk which can be mitigated, first by paying attention to exposure, and then occasionally by taking a second image with less exposure. Some people no doubt bracket freely and often? But I'm all for economy both of intent and of means.

If I take two exposures as you suggested won't I just now end up with two badly exposed images rather than one ? Unless I add a computer to my photography ,something as I said I don't like , If I use film I can look at a seen work out a rough exposure using sunny 16 then just over expose for good luck it rarely fails me. of course if you enjoy the computer side of digital photography then fair play to you. I must admit I do like using my android phone ,under expose by 1/2 a stop and then use Snapseed to edit my images on the go but sitting in front of a computer is not for me.

Last edited:
I really meant that you might judge the light better before exposing, so that the image didn't need tweaking in a computer ... the possible second shot could be after reviewing the result of the first on the back of the camera and lowering the exposure if the highlights looked blown, possibly by using exposure compensation?

Trying to be helpful & make your life easier!

Unfortunatley the screen on the back of the Sony A6000 isn't very big so it's difficult to see unless you way over expose. I have found the best way is to use HDR +- 1 stop or so in camera but then you really need a tripod as the images can ghost a little and of course anything moving is a no no although I did think of trying this deliberately to see the affect !

Blinkies and / or a histogram might be available ...

There are blinkies and histogram but as I only vary rarely get to go out deliberately for photography it always takes me a while to remember how to display them normally after the occasion has gone. Please don't think for moment that I'm slagging off Digital photography it clearly technically better than film as a general thing and it should be being more modern but for me personally I prefer film with it's simplicity and using manual cameras with their simplicity focus on the part of the shot I'm interested in choose shutter speed and aperture to get the exposure/depth of field I want and press. In all things I do or use I like simplicity things cut down to only whats needed with no extra gimmicks.I know others like the latest thing and gadgets and of course that's their choice.

There are blinkies and histogram but as I only vary rarely get to go out deliberately for photography it always takes me a while to remember how to display them normally after the occasion has gone. Please don't think for moment that I'm slagging off Digital photography it clearly technically better than film as a general thing and it should be being more modern but for me personally I prefer film with it's simplicity and using manual cameras with their simplicity focus on the part of the shot I'm interested in choose shutter speed and aperture to get the exposure/depth of field I want and press. In all things I do or use I like simplicity things cut down to only whats needed with no extra gimmicks.I know others like the latest thing and gadgets and of course that's their choice.

On the A7 I have the 'display' button which toggles though histogram>spirit level>nothing>histogram> ;) I don't know if you can program something similar?

Edit - I don't use the 'zebra' things..... I find them annoying & distracting.

View attachment 267148

After being nagged gently persuaded by fellow members, I have gotten myself a roll of film this morning. I only popped out for a loaf and some milk, but I passed a poundland, so I went in. They only had 1 roll left, so I got it. Just looking at it now, it is only 10 exposures, suppose I can't moan for £1. Hardly seems worth doing anything, with just 10 exposures.

Try medium format. 8 shots per roll!

If I take two exposures as you suggested won't I just now end up with two badly exposed images rather than one ? Unless I add a computer to my photography ,something as I said I don't like , If I use film I can look at a seen work out a rough exposure using sunny 16 then just over expose for good luck it rarely fails me. of course if you enjoy the computer side of digital photography then fair play to you. I must admit I do like using my android phone ,under expose by 1/2 a stop and then use Snapseed to edit my images on the go but sitting in front of a computer is not for me.

This just shows it takes all sorts.

I used to fix computers and other tech and now I mostly avoid it but I do spend time on the pc processing my pictures but I suppose it averages out at just seconds per picture.

I do actively dislike phones and I'd rather repeatedly slam a car door on my privates than use one for editing pictures.

The diversity of life.

or at least denying services to anyone who like me doesn't want to use the hateful things.
I used to be in your camp until I realised the advantages they now offer for banking and some other functions. Still: I'm with you when it comes to choice. They get the use of our money so it should be our choice how we deal with them.

Last edited:
The thing is that if for whatever reason you don't want to use a smartphone or maybe simply can not for some reason (er... there's no signal in this area) some things like banking are now withheld from you.

I opened a new account recently and providing my mobile number was a requirement. Also I'll be paying my credit card bill today and as a part of the security measures they'll send a number to my phone, the only problem being I never ever receive them. Demanding smartphone use is all well and good but the simple fact is that apart from some people not liking them sometimes they (the system... whatever the issue is) just doesn't even work.

And a ps on banking.
When Mrs WW opened an account in the branch they insisted she did it online and this involved sending a number to her phone. Mrs WW tried and tried and nothing came through so she handed her phone to the member of staff helping her and she couldn't get the number through either and this was as we sat next to the computer in the branch. They must have tried a dozen times between them and not one txt came through. It's not as if Samsung isn't one of the most popular brands out there. That's part of my gripe, sometimes the tech just doesn't work and the company we're dealing with wont know why and probably wont have an easy to implement and use backup plan.

Anyway. I've derailed this thread enough :D It just struck me as odd that someone hates using a computer but likes using a smartphone.

Last edited:
How did this thread go from Film vs digital? :thinking:

Seeing it has derailed whereby smartphones are being mentioned, I may as well chime in. I have been chatting away to friends and family, via the WhatsApp messages thingy on my phone. Not had any messages for a few days, and missed a friends messages telling me he has gone away etc etc. It turns out my phone is no longer supported, it is a blooming windows phone, and there is no way to view messages on a computer. To see messages I need to buy a new phone.

I too hate smartphone, we are getting tied into them too much. Yes, they do have their uses. I just wish people would blooming ring me, and stop sending me silly messages.

Anyway, I am still pondering the whole Film vs Digital thing. Had a few hiccups here and there. Been out this morning to buy some film, but alas non to be had.

Anyway, I am still pondering the whole Film vs Digital thing. Had a few hiccups here and there. Been out this morning to buy some film, but alas non to be had.
The digital gods are trying to tell you something. ;)

No longer pondering the thought of should I try film again, as I am going to give film another try. Just to see how I get on with it.

film.JPG

I put in an order for some film on Saturday afternoon, and it came this morning ( Sunday ) :)

film camera.JPG

Loaded the film in the camera, I thought I would have forgotten this very simple and easy step, did have a little hiccup, but all done now. :)

No longer pondering the thought of should I try film again, as I am going to give film another try. Just to see how I get on with it.

View attachment 267493

I put in an order for some film on Saturday afternoon, and it came this morning ( Sunday ) :)
View attachment 267494

Loaded the film in the camera, I thought I would have forgotten this very simple and easy step, did have a little hiccup, but all done now. :)

Does this mean a stroll out sporting "a proper camera" ;) this afternoon then?

Does this mean a stroll out sporting "a proper camera" ;) this afternoon then?

I was thinking of going for a walk with the camera, but I have a few chores I have to do around the house. I don't fancy shooting film indoors, that would just be a waste of film. :)

LOL, Off to do some chores. I might go out with the camera tomorrow, if nothing else crops up. :)

I miss prints that aren't chemically rendered. I used love getting Cibachrome prints made. All this inkjettery disappoints me.

I had a B&W darkroom up till recently, I couldn't justify the expense for such low volumes but will always miss it and I'm very happy to have had that experience for many years. I was doing my own E6 processing with my dad back when I was 12, a great intro to photography and a lifelong interest. I like where photography is these days, we've never had it so good but I really enjoyed where it came from.

I miss prints that aren't chemically rendered. I used love getting Cibachrome prints made. All this inkjettery disappoints me.

I had a B&W darkroom up till recently, I couldn't justify the expense for such low volumes but will always miss it and I'm very happy to have had that experience for many years. I was doing my own E6 processing with my dad back when I was 12, a great intro to photography and a lifelong interest. I like where photography is these days, we've never had it so good but I really enjoyed where it came from.

I sent some film off last week, still waiting for it to come back. All this waiting two weeks is a bit off putting.

I sent some film off last week, still waiting for it to come back. All this waiting two weeks is a bit off putting.
Where did you send it, Tibet? :wideyed:

As I suggested before, try AG Photolab https://www.ag-photolab.co.uk/ for colour and B&W print film, post it in a suitable padded envelope using their freepost label (find it on their website, then use the freepost padded envelope they'll send you back with your negs and scan CD after that) put in in the post box on Monday before the last collection and expect the negs and scan CD back through your letterbox on Thursday or Friday the same week.

You can probably get the scanned results back within or around 48 hours of 'working day' posting using their internet file download option, but I've not tried that. Filmdev also offer a scan and internet file download service too, with the negs arriving back around a week after posting. I don't think you can go far wrong using either of those two labs for price or service. Neither have let me down yet, touch wood!

Last edited:

As I suggested before, try AG Photolab https://www.ag-photolab.co.uk/ for colour and B&W print film, post it in a suitable padded envelope using their freepost label (find it on their website, then use the freepost padded envelope they'll send you back with your negs and scan CD after that) put in in the post box on Monday before the last collection and expect the negs and scan CD back through your letterbox on Thursday or Friday the same week.

You can probably get the scanned results back within or around 48 hours of 'working day' posting using their internet file download option, but I've not tried that. Filmdev also offer a scan and internet file download service too, with the negs arriving back around a week after posting. I don't think you can go far wrong using either of those two labs for price or service. Neither have let me down yet, touch wood!

Yes, I should have listened to you and tried them. Sorry I did not :(

Yes, I should have listened to you and tried them. Sorry I did not :(

Never mind, there's always next time. (y)

PS You'll get used to that saying when shooting film! It can be a cruel and very honest mistress at times, but when you get it right, it's very, very, good! ;) Anyway, hope your photos live up to (or at least approach) your expectations when you get them back. :)

Last edited:
Never mind, there's always next time. (y)

PS You'll get used to that saying when shooting film! It can be a cruel and very honest mistress at times, but when you get it right, it's very, very, good! ;) Anyway, hope your photos live up to or at least approaching expectations when you get them back. :)

I will post a couple of the results up if I can find the scanner, not used it in years, It may not even be working.

My experience of AG is not good. Yes they turn around quickly but their work is often shoddy, I had a couple of films back from them with more dirt in the emulsion than I was happy with but cloned it all out in PS then I got a film back that looked like it had been dropped on the floor while still wet, all sorts of crud in the now dried emulsion. I emailed them to complain and they couldn't even be bothered to reply let alone offer any goodwill gesture of compensation. Haven't used them since now use Spectrum Labs in Plymouth no issues yet.

My experience of AG is not good. Yes they turn around quickly but their work is often shoddy, I had a couple of films back from them with more dirt in the emulsion than I was happy with but cloned it all out in PS then I got a film back that looked like it had been dropped on the floor while still wet, all sorts of crud in the now dried emulsion. I emailed them to complain and they couldn't even be bothered to reply let alone offer any goodwill gesture of compensation. Haven't used them since now use Spectrum Labs in Plymouth no issues yet.

And I was thinking of trying them the next time around. That is the trouble doing things by mail, to places far afield. If things go wrong with mine, they are in my town five min down the road, so I can go down on the bounce.

Or use a lab where things generally don't go wrong, regardless of how far away they are. :)

I've been using them for around 4 years now and I've not had anything like you describe. I'd have phoned them and had a chat with them about it that had happened to me.

How do Spectrum compare on price and turn-around (cost to post and get a CD ROM and negs back though the letterbox, and for 'develop only'), it's always good to have a recommended alternative if it's like-for-like?

Last edited:
I've been using them for around 4 years now and I've not had anything like you describe. I'd have phoned them and had a chat with them about it that had happened to me.

How do Spectrum compare on price and turn-around (cost to post and get a CD ROM and negs back though the letterbox, and for 'develop only'), it's always good to have a recommended alternative if it's like-for-like?
Price and turnaround pretty similar. On their website they only say they scan to JPG but I rang them and they are happy to scan to TIFF at no extra cost you just have to put a note in when you post your film. There in lies the rub though they don't provide the free postage that AG do you pay your own post.

Back