Poppies

Name
Jamie
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken yesterday during the sunshine. Nikon D200 and 17-55mm lens with circular polarizer and a cheap nd grad filter than really needs upgrading. Exif should still be there. C&C welcomed.

3814479398_f6eb723018_o.jpg

Edit: The original looks much sharper.

:agree: it is a well composed image... (y) ... although here it looks a bit dark at the top and the poppies could do with a bit more va-va-voom imhgo... :shrug:

:p

:agree: it is a well composed image... (y) ... although here it looks a bit dark at the top and the poppies could do with a bit more va-va-voom imhgo... :shrug:

:p

Thanks for the feedback. Would you rather there was more green in the photo? :D

Here's a slightly edited version:
3814679346_1097df093e_o.jpg

I like the shot but think the sky isn't quite right. The clouds look blue on my screen. I'd try and whiten them I think.

Yeah sadly that came about from the cheapy ND grad. How would i go about whitening the clouds?

Hmmm, I'm not in front of Lightroom now, but I think I could use a brush to selectively desaturate the blue in the clouds. Would just need to be careful to not spillover into the sky. If you tick the edit box I'd be happy to have a go later for you.

Thanks for the feedback. Would you rather there was more green in the photo? :D

Here's a slightly edited version:
3814679346_1097df093e_o.jpg

Lovely pic. Don't think more green is needed. Perhaps crop about 10mm off the top, but that's not vital.

Third try at getting this right...this one was taken before getting the nd grad out:
3815237734_aa7f325c45_o.jpg

Edit: Just wanted to add a big thank you to those who've commented so far. Really nice to hear the compliments and the criticism is welcomed!

Last edited:
I think this is fanastic - it draws my eye from bottom left to the right, following the gradient of the hill - I wish I could produce that in my photos (y)

Very nice imae, just slightly let down by the clouds, needs more white in them.

Very nice imae, just slightly let down by the clouds, needs more white in them.

Fair point but to be perfectly honest I was so delighted to see more blue than grey in the sky for a change I can't criticise the whiteness of the clouds! ;)

I think this is fanastic - it draws my eye from bottom left to the right, following the gradient of the hill - I wish I could produce that in my photos (y)

Best thing you can do is get out and practice. If you see something you like try and replicate it yourself. On second thought, posting here is better than practice! The quality of constructive criticism will really help you improve, no matter where you start from.

hope you don't mind, but just a simple white balance on the cloudes with some dodging on the dark sky. Think it adds better balance.

I'll remove if you wish

Last edited:
hope you don't mind, but just a simple white balance on the cloudes with some doging on the dark sky. Think it adds better balance.

I'll remove if you wish

Much prefer that version to any of mine. Really need to get the hang of this PP lark to get the most out of my images. Thanks for the guidance!

I find I like both of them, the moodiness of the 1st picture and it can change to a happy picture. There both lovely images

Back