Pork pies

G

Gary_P

Not end of the world stuff, but it struck me that the loyal pork pie is being attacked... Where has the jelly in them gone these days? :cautious: I used to love a pork pie with large amounts of jelly in, but do you think I can find one now?

I know, it's a random question, but I have been wondering :wacky:

Maybe, as the jelly is listed as one of the defining characteristics of the now-protected Melton Mowbray version of the species, other pie makers are having to let you down?

The pork pie shop in Skipton near the canal make em with jelly in!! Guess where I'm going next week?

I thought about Melton Mowbray, but even some of those have no jelly.

I wish I lived near Skipton :( Where's Skipton? :D :p

Actually, now I think about it, Hollands meat pies have jelly in! When I bite one (hot) the juice matts up my beard so I can taste it later!! :puke:

Stanforth's celebrated pork pie establishment = Skipton, North Yorks. My brother had one from there today. Nice hot, but only a small blob of pork in there.
He prefers them from ? & Drake butchers round the corner.

I thought about Melton Mowbray, but even some of those have no jelly.

I wish I lived near Skipton :( Where's Skipton? :D :p

Somewhere in Yorkshire I believe, but I do venture there with my passport!

Stanforth's celebrated pork pie establishment = Skipton, North Yorks. My brother had one from there today. Nice hot, but only a small blob of pork in there.
He prefers them from ? & Drake butchers round the corner.

Nah! Doesn't know what he's talking about!
Again, just remembered there's a butcher at the bottom of the high street in Pately Bridge who's pies knock the socks of both those! AND his Nidderdale Pork sausage are to die for!! Hmmmm, sausage and mash with bean gravy!!!

I love pork pies but I don't eat the pork bit just the pie... I make my husband eat the insides! I know it's weird but I've always done that...even though I do eat pork!

My sister only eats the pastry bit and leaves the meat in the fridge. Perhaps its a female thing (my sister is mental, not saying you are Annie :D). The meat with the jelly is the best bit.

I want a pie now.

Somewhere in Yorkshire I believe, but I do venture there with my passport!

:LOL: Strange how Skipton gets the mention for pork pies .... The best pork pies I ever had were from a butchers shop just a few miles from Skipton at Crosshills .... sadly the butchers have been closed down for many years now :shake:

I would call in early morning and they would take the pie fresh from the oven and still in it's tin, turn it out onto the bench, poke a hole in the top and pour in the hot, peppery delicious gelly :love:

Those were the best ever pies :cool: sadly no more .. :thumbsdown: Now I've been reminded of them I'm sad!

I make my own with jelly:)

Just boil pigs trotters for several hours, it makes a wondeful natural gelatine jelly.

I like pork pies but HATE the jelly. I will pick the jelly out before eating.

Used to have a pork pie making competition in a nearby village and the butcher was always being asked for a pigs head to boil up for the jelly bit.

I miss the jelly too in the modern Pork Pie, bit like those nice pork chops you used to get with the kidney, never see them anymore

Best of all though are Jellied Eels, food of the gods. When I was a kid my mum used to send me down the pie, mash and eel shop to get them.
Used to be kept in big metal trays and the buggers wriggled in the bag all the way home

Last edited:
Have just sent the office minion (OK he's a Staff Sergeant, but I'm older and I'm a better phot...lol) off to the NAAFI for a couple of Melton Mowbray porkies and a packet of Rice Crispie Squares...mmm...

I really dislike the jelly in pork pies so I'm all too happy to see less of it!

I miss the jelly too in the modern Pork Pie, bit like those nice pork chops you used to get with the kidney, never see them anymore

You can at my butcher, if you ask.

Not end of the world stuff, but it struck me that the loyal pork pie is being attacked... Where has the jelly in them gone these days? :cautious: I used to love a pork pie with large amounts of jelly in, but do you think I can find one now?

I think you're telling porkies, personally...

:coat:

The reason is that the majority of consumers prefer little or no jelly.

Have just sent the office minion (OK he's a Staff Sergeant, but I'm older and I'm a better phot...lol) off to the NAAFI for a couple of Melton Mowbray porkies and a packet of Rice Crispie Squares...mmm...

:LOL: Have they been promoted from Robs Brew Biatch?

Last edited:
Used to have a pork pie making competition in a nearby village and the butcher was always being asked for a pigs head to boil up for the jelly bit.

Best of all though are Jellied Eels, food of the gods. When I was a kid my mum used to send me down the pie, mash and eel shop to get them.
Used to be kept in big metal trays and the buggers wriggled in the bag all the way home

I used to go down to my Aunties in Salford (Adelphi Street) in the 60s and there was a Rib and Cabbage takeaway! came served in a carboard dish with TONS of pepper & vinegar! mmmmmm!

Nah! Doesn't know what he's talking about!
Again, just remembered there's a butcher at the bottom of the high street in Pately Bridge who's pies knock the socks of both those! AND his Nidderdale Pork sausage are to die for!! Hmmmm, sausage and mash with bean gravy!!!

Next time I'm in Pately Bridge I'll be sure to try that butchers. Haven't been up there for a bit, note to self.....

Back