Portable Battery Pack For Strobes

Edit My Images
No
I have a couple of Alien Bees that I want to power from a battery pack.

Does anyone know of a decent battery pack for studio lighting that doesn't mean buying a complete new set of strobes and the battery?

I'm looking to power the lights in the middle of fields etc if that helps at all, well away from such things as power sockets or cars :D:D

I have a couple of Alien Bees that I want to power from a battery pack.

Does anyone know of a decent battery pack for studio lighting that doesn't mean buying a complete new set of strobes and the battery?

I'm looking to power the lights in the middle of fields etc if that helps at all, well away from such things as power sockets or cars :D:D

Hmmm, I've read somewhere that the best way is to use the Zeus power packs matched to the AB heads (uk equivalent could be possible), then a mains transformer for UK power and finally a petrol powered generator :thinking:, that is for out in the field scenarios.
Martin Prihoda said something about relying on 'borrowing' power from someone elses mains can sometimes prove difficult and complicate your day somewhat, although he still does.
Here's a video of one of his shoots, interesting bloke and very informative too.

Dave Hill
relies on highly portable power, not very descriptive but he uses a gennie loads.

Not exactly the same but there was this discussion that may interest you.

Well, I'm going with building my own, as the alternatives are far too much money. If anyone is interested I am happy to document it.

I presume you have already looked at the Alien Bee Vagabond 2?

Can I also ask how much the Alienbees ended up costing you including the duty as I am interested in getting the AB1600?

I would recommend investing in a a Mr Fusion upgrade to power the rampant rabbit if you are a serious user.

OP asked about a battery pack which could power a flash or a strobe :)thinking:) or your charger for a rampant rabbit

Thread title is "Portable Battery Pack For Strobes", that would be (according to you) only of use....

if you were doing a long exposure in darkness to show up the same person at different places. A single burst of light as used on camera, off camera or in the studio is called a flash

Didn't notice you pulling the op up for his use of an "incorrect term" though ;)

I presume you have already looked at the Alien Bee Vagabond 2?

Can I also ask how much the Alienbees ended up costing you including the duty as I am interested in getting the AB1600?

Yeah - I had a look at that and got them to quote me to get it delivered over here. The total cost, before VAT and Import duty was going to be $460comes to about £250. A good price for the kit.

But I have managed to do a lot better, and in fact have sourced all the gear for £140. Hopefully, I will be receiving the battery this morning and can start putting the pack together.

I think the extra import duty and VAT cost around £120

Yeah - I had a look at that and got them to quote me to get it delivered over here. The total cost, before VAT and Import duty was going to be $460comes to about £250. A good price for the kit.

But I have managed to do a lot better, and in fact have sourced all the gear for £140. Hopefully, I will be receiving the battery this morning and can start putting the pack together.

That's a fantastic price! Well done Barney, I would be grateful to hear more updates on how you get along with the gear and if poss, post some shots with the set up (y)
T.

Thread title is "Portable Battery Pack For Strobes", that would be (according to you) only of use....

Didn't notice you pulling the op up for his use of an "incorrect term" though ;)

Apologies for using the incorrect term, although it seems to be the "working term"

It seems people use flash to refer to Speedlights etc and strobe to refer to Studio lights.

Anyway, I am trying to get a powerpack together for the AB800s that I own.

Apologies for using the incorrect term, although it seems to be the "working term"

It seems people use flash to refer to Speedlights etc and strobe to refer to Studio lights.

Anyway, I am trying to get a powerpack together for the AB800s that I own.
The terms flash and strobe seem to be interchangeable.

originally (I think) strobe became a term for electronic (as opposed to bulb) flash and was derived from stroboscopic. Then a manufacturer of studio flash called Strobe was born, and so strobe was normally used to refer to studio flash.

Strobe then became Strobex, they stopped manufacturing a few years ago.

Back