Portfolio website with Hi-Res image gallery please ?

Edit My Images
No
Hello all,

I curerntly use Photium and love it. It is a classy site and has a VERY good back end for customisation.

BUT ....

The images in the gallery are so low-res it makes them look amateurish, when in fact they are sharp as a tack and look much better sharper and larger.

Can anyone suggest somewhere where the photos are displayed in a better resolution ?
I pay £180 for photium a year, so prices around that would be great.

Ta

Have you thought about getting a domain name and hosting your own website?

You can get a lot of software these days that have customisation and galleries. Some even have shopping baskets built in.

Try www.ktools.net

Cheaper on the long run as only paying the hosting fee each year (approx £55).

For $100 (yes, dollars) a year, you can get a pro account with Zenfolio. Unlimited uploads, image protection on single images or galleries or collections, hi-res uploads, many themes and layouts. You can now also sell images online with pricebooks and UK fulfillment partners, and paypal is accepted.

I have to say, I have found Zenfolio to be an excellent gallery provider and would wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone looking for a gallery solution.

If you're interested, I have a referral code you can use to obtain a further discount. Please PM me for details if need be.

Can't recommend them enough.

Looking at Zenfolio now.
Thing with Photium is that they are such a good site to work with as you can customise it and the support is astounding, i will find it hard to leave, but if Zenfolio does that, thenn im there.
Ta

As for doing it myself, i really dont have the time to do it. Will definately have a look, but not sure i can bring myself to do it :eek:

A full flash site woudl be cool, but again bit out of my reach.

Looking at Zenfolio now.
Thing with Photium is that they are such a good site to work with as you can customise it and the support is astounding, i will find it hard to leave, but if Zenfolio does that, thenn im there.
Ta
No probs at all.

I can personally vouch for the support on Zenfolio, response times are excellent - though I haven't had my site offline for any time since I opened my account with them a few years ago now (apart from scheduled maintenance). Honestly, the value for money with Zenfolio is quite astounding - packages start from $40 per year (plus my $5 discount if you want it).

Oh, and there's no additional charges for more upload space. None. Zippo. :)

What about photoshelter?

OK. ive had a look at them both and heres what i think.

Zenfolio - classy, but too 'bloggy' for me. I want a more traditional menu system with areas to navigate too such as Galleries, About Me, Pricing etc. Prices are good though.

Photoshelter - Thats more like it, classy, classic setup of a website. Looks quite expensive, and i dont think i could use up 35GB of space (which is in my pricerange). BUT i dont want to put the printing in someone elses hands. I use a company who i am happy with.

Hmm, looks like Photium is winning at the minute.

I'm pretty sure that with Photoshelter you can self fulfill your orders.

Hello all,

Can anyone suggest somewhere where the photos are displayed in a better resolution ?

Ta

Are you looking for:
1. larger images
2. reduction in smearing caused by online gallery resizing images with an inferior image engine, or engine with wrong settings
3. Higher resoloution images in a portfolio, or a gallery (which are 2 different things)?

How many images are we talking about, and at what sizes?

Richard King
www.placeofdesign.com

At the moment the images im disappointd with are those in the gallery.
There is nowhere else that displays larg images as each portfolio is displayed as a thumbnail.
The large images are only about max of 600px at best and i want them at least 1000px at the maximum and for them to be better resolution. They all look a bit soft (and so does on other example websites that Photium point too).

I think in the new templates you can use larger images, but i dont like any of the new templates and much prefer the old one i already have.

Hello all,

I curerntly use Photium and love it. It is a classy site and has a VERY good back end for customisation.

BUT ....

The images in the gallery are so low-res it makes them look amateurish, when in fact they are sharp as a tack and look much better sharper and larger.

I pay £180 for photium a year, so prices around that would be great.

Ta

Have you looked at the sites on Bludomain.com?
I just got a site from them for $100 + £100 for hosting for a year.

I know some people have bad experieces with them - but from my own point of view. All went smooth and quick.

You do get a flash site from them as well - and have the options of different sections (about me, contact, calendar...etc)

You can also choose the quality of the images on display yourself, so if you want them 100% quality.. you can choose that.

Just another option for you to think about...

At the moment the images im disappointd with are those in the gallery.
There is nowhere else that displays larg images as each portfolio is displayed as a thumbnail.
The large images are only about max of 600px at best and i want them at least 1000px at the maximum and for them to be better resolution. They all look a bit soft (and so does on other example websites that Photium point too).

I think in the new templates you can use larger images, but i dont like any of the new templates and much prefer the old one i already have.

Its probrably because they are using something like JEPEGtrans with quality set to 75% to re-size the images

Can you replace the images "it creates" manually on the server with images you have carefully re-sized and sharpened for web?

To be honest - it sounds like you are at the "getting my own website and gallery and sorting the hosing yourself" so you can be in control of everything. the issue with these online packages is that you are not in control of what you need to be

OK, here it is.
I have partly solved the issue with the "softness" of my photos. If i add a bit of sharpness (that you can do via Photium) and save th efiles in a different format then that makes it alot better (Thanks Jo).

And to be honest i have had a good look round and there isnt anything that touches Photium.
I had an email from the guy from Photium asking if he can help me .... and i didnt even ask for it !!! The company came to me. Where else does that happen ?? BRILLIANT.

There are other sites out there and some look very good, but for what i want i cant really find better than photium by a long way, and the picture size maybe sorted, so thanks for the links guys.

If you go through GoDaddy

Careful of GoDaddy, they are the daddy of spammer hosts, you are likely to find your site blacklisted by isps just for being hosted by them.

Careful of GoDaddy, they are the daddy of spammer hosts, you are likely to find your site blacklisted by isps just for being hosted by them.

Interesting. I have / had another site with them, seemed ok, but then I didn't do all that much with it.

I guessed they may not be the classiest from their shocking website that you have to clamber through. :D

I'll see how it goes for now, but will look into when I get the new site up and running.. Thanks. :)

Well ive looked around and nothing comes close to Photium.
I even got an email FROM Will at Photium who is going to sort out my problems without me even asking for it !!. Now THATS customer services.

Back