Portra

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Mr Cad have a whole wodge of outdated Portra VC and NC in 35mm and 120, I'm heading over there tomorrow if anybody wants some picked up and shipped at cost, send me a pm tonight.

If I remember correctly the 35mm is £20 for 5 and 120 is £18.50, from what they said on the phone it seems to be 2012/13. They also said they had some other Kodak pro film and consumer stuff but I can't for the life of me remember what they said it was.

What's the difference between VC, NC and modern Portra? And is it 400 or 160?

VC is vivid colour (higher contrast too) and NC is natural colour. New Portra is supposed to be sharper with finer grain, so says Kodak, and probably sits somewhere in between the two with regard to colour, although probably closer to the NC end. All have pretty good skin tones.

I don't know Chris, I always assumed the modern stuff was somewhere between the two.

They have some of each although I'm not sure what they have left.

Kodak originally produced 3 versions of Portra for the first generation, NC, VC and UC (ultra colour) with each coming in 160 and 400 speeds and in that order being of increasingly higher saturation, contrast and sharpness (UC was similar in saturation to Ektar). For the second generation the UC version was eliminated, and the third (current) generation was balanced to be roughly equal between the previous NC and VC versions. There was a comparison chart on Kodak's website at the time the latest 160 and 400 versions came out, I'll see if there's an archived version available.

@RaglanSurf @skysh4rk @ChrisR I found an archived version of the comparison graphic Kodak put up when they released Portra 160 and 400, and whilst what I said above is somewhat correct there are some differences. Interestingly they kept the Portra 160 balanced practically the same in terms of the lower saturation, contrast and sharpness as the previous 160 NC, whilst the 400 was balanced to have the same lower contrast as the 400NC, but have saturation and sharpness practically right inbetween the previous 400 NC and VC. I've attached a screenshot of it below.

Portra Comparison.jpg

Back