Portrait Lens

Blimey an entire thread about portrait lenses and not a mention of the two I use almost every day! The 85 1.2 - fantastic lens and the 70-200 2.8 IS

Yeah I know it's a zoom but according to Lightroom I get more keepers with this than anything else. On a side note the 50 1.4 is perfectly fine and a cheap way to get to that large aperture dof focus look although I don't tend to use it that much now.

Blimey an entire thread about portrait lenses and not a mention of the two I use almost every day! The 85 1.2 - fantastic lens and the 70-200 2.8 IS

Yeah I know it's a zoom but according to Lightroom I get more keepers with this than anything else. On a side note the 50 1.4 is perfectly fine and a cheap way to get to that large aperture dof focus look although I don't tend to use it that much now.

I also much prefer a zoom, so much more flexible. Agree re. keepers.

The 85 is mentioned twice in the first 3 post. :thinking:

:canon:

Did anyone mention 135mm f/2L yet? The 85mm is capable of some nice portraits too.

I would hold of for Sigma 50mm ART if that length is a must - ie. for environmental portraits. Wider lenses can work too, but certainly not in the same context as the longer ones. A minimum distance to the model must be maintained to avoid distortion.

There's always a variety of opinion in threads such as this, and generally all valid.

If you just want a portrait lens, then the first one you mentioned would fit the bill, the 85mm F1.8 is a good compromise, it's a fast lens, can cover both head & shoulders and full body shots, with the ability to kick any messy backgrounds OOF.

The 135mm F2 is a better lens, and I don't know of any other canon lens that has the ability to separate the subject from the background as well as this lens can , it's incredibly fast to focus, and light enough to carry around all day. The big disadvantage with this lens is that if you want full body portraits, then you are at the limits of comfortable communication distance from the subjects.

If money wasn't an object, then the 85mm F1.2 is the portrait lens of choice, Canon states it's their ultimate portrait lens, it's something I couldn't disagree with, it's the lens I use exclusively for controlled portraits. It is relatively slow to focus (there's so much glass the move around), but in a controlled environment (as opposed to say street photography), it's not an issue.

Regarding zooms, the 70-200 F2.8 would be a good choice, once again a fast lens, incredibly sharp, but a heavy lens to throw around all day.

The 24-105 F4L is a good general purpose lens, but as mentioned, would struggle a bit in low light, it's not about achieving a fast enough hand held shutter speed, you just kick the ISO up for that, it's a 'slow' lens, therefore doesn't focus as well as most 'fast' lenses in low light, an important consideration when needing to work fast (for example a church wedding), the maximum aperture is F4, which means the backgrounds (bokeh) are generally not as appealing as a fast lens is capable of.

In the rare occasions I photograph weddings (I generally run a mile from them, it's too much hard work), the two lenses I use (on a FF body) are 24-70 F2.8L and 85mm F1.2. For controlled portraits it's 85mm F1.2, for street work, it's generally 135mm F2.

I have it 135mm f/2 canon and 85 mm 1.8 and 85 is more versatility for headshots (135 is no good for headshoots , focusing starts from half body). Quality is much better from 135 compare to 85. But with 85mm you can do much more...
50mm is borring standard kit lens range.
35mm is good for wide angle portraits in location.

Back