Portrait of a mountain biker

what did you use for sound ?

ive always struggled to get any decent sound with interview-type scenarios

For me, as a once moderately serious mountain biker, the riding bits are dull, don't show a rider even getting close to the edge and pulling an un-controlled wheelie each time he rides past the camera makes him look amateurish.

The camera work is great in terms of image quality, and it may be what the client wanted, but it doesn't express excitement, pain, fear, exhilaration. The thing I'd want to see would be getting in close, stones and dirt flying as he went past on difficult terrain. Sure it's contemplative, but this isn't an office job.

Sorry not to be more positive.

Agree re the wheelies.
Unless you can keep the wheel up all the way past, there's no point. :)
The problem with filming is the person on the bike thinks they're flying, but as @ancient_mariner says, the camera makes it look a lot slower.
I know that as an experienced mountain biker who watches a video of myself back and thinks.....is that it? :LOL:

Last edited:
For sound i have wireless lav packs, but i didn't set them up perfectly so some of the audio peaked just a tiny bit. Enough to make me cringe when i got it back home. I managed to save it a little bit but if you listen on real good speakers or headphones you can hear where i messed bits of it up. I've now tested audio on myself at different levels and it's where i want to be for the next video i do.

Toni and Bob i understand your frustrations with the riding but this just isn't one of them videos unfortunately. I am mainly concentrating on getting emotion through on video with what they say and just finding out exactly why they love what they do instead of loving something else, why they chose that passion over another passion etc. All those shots you mention would be great with a professional rider but Michele just isn't one. He rides his way and i'm ok with that because for me it wasn't about the riding at all. It's about the feeling he gets from riding if that makes sense. I would absolutely love to make one of those videos you talk about but unfortunately i have aspergers and am only comfortable around certain people. Michele being one of them.

Anyways, i appreciate your comments guys. Thanks for watching!

All those shots you mention would be great with a professional rider but Michele just isn't one

I'd heard him say he was a full-time rider in the first 15 seconds, but perhaps he meant he ONLY rode mountain bikes instead of road bikes.

Yeh sorry that's exactly what he meant in the video Toni. He used to ride all kinds of bikes (road, bmx, trials) but is certainly not professional level haha. As he's gotten older he only really rides his MTB now. That was probably my fault as i cut that first clip too soon perhaps. He does explain it after that but i just thought it would be better with a quick introduction. I was thinking to just completely leave that first talking clip out as i guess nobody needs to know a name and age but would just prefer to hear what he gets from his passion.

Back