portrait tips please

Good solid technically sound portraits and I really like the last and second last one especially.

The framing on the first is maybe a touch tight for me. There's no issues with cropping tight but the mouth is tittering perilously close to the edge. I would allow a fraction more room on it personally.

One final point would be to look to develop a consistent style to PP. I realise these images aren't a set as such but they are all processed very differently which us fine if your trying new ideas but at some point you will want to go with a a more consistent core style of PP that gives you images a theme.

Last edited:
Sorry, but it looks like youre just testing lightroom presets or something.

Thanks, that what I was looking for. And as for PP I've only just got Lightroom (not really sure what I'm doing), and I don't really have a style or type of photography yet (even after 2 yrs)

That's fine. It will take time but you seem to have competency with the camera so that's probably the next area to explore further. The Scott Kelby Lightroom books are excellent starting point if that's something that interests you. If you do a bit of PP that you like then you can save it as a preset in LR so you can apply the same enhancements to other images in the future. I tend to have a lot of subtle adjustments saved as presets that I can almost use as building blocks to apply to an image depending on what im looking to achieve. It's rare you can just apply them and then leave it but it gives you a consistent starting point at least to build on and cuts down on time spent in PP.

You have to love the 50 - 1.4 , same combo i started out with

The last image, well nailed it in my opinion

Nice little set here but again be careful of the really tight crops. As an example, you've cut half an ear off the third image. On a positive note, I love the last one. Stunning eyes!!

Last edited:
1 - maybe correct the color temperature.

2 - its color, BW or (really really carefully) sepia, the rest of the tones its just a trend, in half a year tones like in a picture 2 will be worth nothing.

The rest - BW ones works well.

And finally. If u r into portraits, please, dont waist ur tome on a lightroom or kelby shmelby stuff, try to learn what is portrait and soon fnough u will find the difference between "portrait" and "face"

the last shot is nice and sharp the pp work or w/b is just not there
shot no 4 is the strongest image from your set pp works very well on this image
(jmo)

Back