Poss prob with Olympus Trip aperture blades

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Received a used Oly Trip 35 this morning from a TP member which looks as new! Having a play i noticed that when turning the aperture ring the blades do not move and are staying closed. I turned the other rings on the lens but again the blades stay closed. There is no film in the camera so it it broke?

Any help appreciated.

That's strange, I've just looked at mine and the aperture blades don't seem to move either.

But I put a roll of film through it last year and there didn't seem to any problem. Different lighting conditions although all shot on the 'Auto' setting but they all came out.

Link to Olympus set here... http://www.flickr.com/photos/raglansurf/sets/72157614473410392/

It's not something I've ever noticed before, hopefully somebody will be along who knows for sure.

not sure what your question is Andy, but trip would almost certainly have a leaf shutter, rather than the focal plane shutter that you see on a SLR. Most fixed lens japanese RFs have leaf shutter shutters - makes the camera smaller, cheaper, and easier to manufacture. It also provides for flash sync at all speeds; something focal plane shuttered SLRs cant, by definition, do

So, when you change the aperture, you will not see the blades move. Basically a spring will adjust, which will tell the blades how much to open when the shutter is pressed.

This is very different from a Focal plane shutter, where the hole is set by the aperture; and then the shutter ( 2 pieces of cloth) move back and forth to expose the film for a particular amount of time set by the shutter speed dial). This is what you see on a SLR ( except leaf shutter SLRs like most MF cameras, Contaflex, Contarex etc)
Best way to check is to open the back, point the lens to a light source ( not sun, BTW) and press the shutter is various settings. You should see the hole opening and closing; and the size of the hole corresponding to the sperture set.

Hope this makes sense

not sure what your question is Andy, but trip would almost certainly have a leaf shutter, rather than the focal plane shutter that you see on a SLR.

So, when you change the aperture, you will not see the blades move. Basically a spring will adjust, which will tell the blades how much to open when the shutter is pressed.

Best way to check is to open the back, point the lens to a light source ( not sun, BTW) and press the shutter is various settings. You should see the hole opening and closing; and the size of the hole corresponding to the sperture set.

Hope this makes sense

Just tried it on mine and the aperture seems to remain constant.

I might have to put a roll through it to test it.

Is the hole biggest or smallest Nick? Are you setting the aperture and then doing the test. Also check the speed while you are at it

I have never used trip - is it shutter priority camera?

ah just checked - and here is the answer

The Trip is extremely simple to use. It has an auto-exposure system operated by a selenium photo-electric cell light meter to control the lens aperture. The beauty of this type of meter is that it doesn't require batteries.

Unless you are using a flashgun, the aperture ring is set to "A" for automatic. The camera will then adjust the aperture as required.

So to be sure, do the same test; but point it to various light conditions, That will change the size of the hole, since the camera will adjust the aperture for the light available

Oh and Andy, the aperture only needs to be moved from the 'A' positionwhen using flash, all other times it should be on the A- or so it says on the tin...:D:D

Is the hole biggest or smallest Nick? Are you setting the aperture and then doing the test. Also check the speed while you are at it

I have never used trip - is it shutter priority camera?

There's no shutter speed adjustment, you have the option of an 'A' Auto setting or f2.8 - 22 manual setting.

I think my aperture blades may have seized :(

Not seized anymore, a hefty bash on the table and all is well again :clap::clap::clap:

Not necessarily Nick, though Trip was supposed to be a very unreliable camera...:D:D

Do the test in a very dim condition, with the aperture set to A; I think you will see the aperture opening up

Not necessarily Nick, though Trip was supposed to be a very unreliable camera...:D:D

Do the test in a very dim condition; I think you will see the aperture opening up

They were definitely stuck. When you half press the shutter the aperture blades open, they didn't work before I repaired them with surgical precision. Now they work perfectly.

Thanks for the advice.

I have just taken the camera into our dark stationery cupboard to try the blades again and again they didn't move. I'll try with a roll of film but as mentioned they may only move when actually taking a pic.

Here's hoping! :D

The Canonet blades only move when taking a shot - it worried me a bit at first but unless every shot really is exposed perfectly at 1/500 f/16 it's clearly doing something when the shutter goes down (I have it in AUTO most of the time).

Open it and point it at a light then trip the shutter whilst looking at it - you should be able to just make out if the iris opens and closes again...

Open it and point it at a light then trip the shutter whilst looking at it - you should be able to just make out if the iris opens and closes again...
Yep done that and shutter opens and closes quickly.

I will leave it on auto and test in different lighting conditions. I expect there will be loads of pics of me looking in the camera! ewwww :( :D :D :D

Thanks for the advice.

I have just taken the camera into our dark stationery cupboard to try the blades again and again they didn't move. I'll try with a roll of film but as mentioned they may only move when actually taking a pic.

Here's hoping! :D

Andy, they definitely move if you half press the shutter button. As I said earlier, mine were stuck but are now moving freely after a quick tap on the chopping block.

Call it art.

Send to The Photographers' Gallery.

Retire.

Now wouldn't that be nice! :D

Andy, they definitely move if you half press the shutter button. As I said earlier, mine were stuck but are now moving freely after a quick tap on the chopping block.

I'm pretty reluctant to 'tap' it on a hard surface but if needs must :puke: Will have a play tonight. (y)

Just found a site that tells you how to repair the aperture blades.

To clarrify about wether the blades should open when pressing the button half way....here's a quote:

'So if you look into the lens, you’ll see a small diamond shape, about 1mm across. This is the aperture closed down to f22. Push down the shutter release and the aperture should open. If it doesn’t open, don’t worry! Just keep reading, and you’ll learn what to do.'

Just found a site that tells you how to repair the aperture blades.

To clarrify about wether the blades should open when pressing the button half way....here's a quote:

'So if you look into the lens, you’ll see a small diamond shape, about 1mm across. This is the aperture closed down to f22. Push down the shutter release and the aperture should open. If it doesn’t open, don’t worry! Just keep reading, and you’ll learn what to do.'

Got a linky for future searchers who find your thread only to realise there is one vital ingredient missing in the solution to there problem?

OK, I have been playing again and still the aperture blades remain shut. I have taken 36+ shots without any film loaded and still no joy. When I press the shutter half way down the blades do move ever so slightly but the do not open, they kinda move forwards very slightly. I don't think popping a film in will make a difference but I will try anyway when I get home. The shutter does open and close quickly.

Edit: I have just popped some film in and still they don't move! I may just get the camera services anyway just so i know it will be 100%

Sorry but I am confused ( not that it takes a lot to confuse me...)

Is it that the Shutter open and close but the aperture blades dont? How did you figure that out?

Also do you see a red flag?

If exposure would go below 1/40 at f/2.8, the shutter locks and a red transparent flag rises from the bottom of the finder in A setting. (If this happens, use flash.)

I think loading a film will make no difference; that used to happen in some of the very old 50s cameras like Voigtlander. Never seen it in the 70s Japanese RF

I doubt if its economic to repair the camera

Ok...

Shutter seems to work fine. When looking into the lens from the front I can see 2 aperture blades. The hole that the light goes through looks like a diamond shape. When you press the shutter button half way i think the aperture blades should open (tried in dim light) but they don't, they don't move apart from ever ever so slightly forwards. I would expect the aperture to open depending on available light unless the camera is auto shutter priority and the aperture blades are not supposed to move?

OK, so if you open the back, look to the lens throgh the back and press the shutter, can you see light coming through the hole?If so, the shutter and aperture must be working, if not either or both are jammed. Check in different light conditions

The aperture blades are not 100% closed. The shutter does work and lets light in. The aperture hole remains a constant size regardless of light conditions. I'm not sure if the aperture blades should move or not?

You have a problem... either with the exposure meter or the aperture blades, Could be either.
In normal working condition the blades open from a small diamond to what ever aperture the exposure meter is calling for when you depress the shutter button.
just checked mine and it is still working fine.

It would not be worth the cost of a repair, you could get another one far cheaper.

You have a problem... either with the exposure meter or the aperture blades, Could be either.
In normal working condition the blades open from a small diamond to what ever aperture the exposure meter is calling for when you depress the shutter button.
just checked mine and it is still working fine.

It would not be worth the cost of a repair, you could get another one far cheaper.

Right! Thanks very much. I'll have a think about the next step tonight.

Cheers all!!! (y)

Have you tried this with some budget budget budget film in?

Yes! I just spent £1.50 on a roll of cheap film and took 24 pics. I'll pick up the photo's tomorrow. Really handy having a processing shop 2 mind walk from work!

Right! Thanks very much. I'll have a think about the next step tonight.

Cheers all!!! (y)

Given how cheaply you could replace it I'd follow the guide you linked to and see how far you get! It really doesn't look that complicated and if you pull it of the camera will be backup and running, if you mess it up just pick another one up on the bay for about £15 you really can't loose.

Yep this is the fault my wife and I encountered with the several Trips we had. Slight knock and the blades start to stick. I read one ages ago that when David Bailey "who was sponsored by Olympus" and given several of these Trips ended up chucking them at a wall!
Lovely lens though.

I had the same problem with the blades sticking. I had to open up the camera and clean them. It takes just a little moisture and the blades will stick. I managed to find a good resource here that shows what the blades look like and how to get to them.

Hope it helps

I had sticking aperture blades. I've taken the lens apart and the bladed are soaking in solvent cleaner just now. My problem though is that in taking it apart I've managed to take my selenium cell apart. It's now in three component parts. Does anyone know how to put the selenium cell back together?

Back