1. Kodiak Qc

Kodiak Qc

Name:
    French Canadian living in Europe since 1989!
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

Not really, Toby. In AF-C, if the BBF is activated and the SR deactivated,
    the AF will follow continuously; but the SR will interrupt the AF and refo-
    cus at every actuation. This will slow down focus acquisition.

2. Gil Bev

Gil Bev

Name:
    Gil
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Ah ok, so if you use shutter release button to focus and shoot, the AF-C doesn't operate between releases unlike BBF?

3. StewartR

StewartR Efrem Zimbalist Jr Advertiser

Name:
    Stewart (duh)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'm not competent to join in a discussion concerning the minutiae of Nikon AF behaviour, *but* I think you need to be a bit more precise about that word "use" if you want a meaningful answer. What *exactly* are you doing or proposing to do with the shutter release button?

4. mikew

mikew

Name:
    mike
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I had one of my D7??? s set on focus priority but when i used BBF it ignored this, it was a long time ago so if there was some other reason i have forgotten it.

snerkler likes this.
  5. Kodiak Qc

Kodiak Qc

Name:
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

I know that AF-C, when set on the BBF, is really continuous while the
    delay is no shorter than 3 as when dropping the target.

6. sk66

sk66

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    All Nikons ignore the release priority setting by default... this is what allows BBF to be really beneficial IMO.
    It allows you to set the camera to AF-C and then have immediate access to all three focus modes.
    Press/hold= AF-C
    Press/release= AF-S
    Don't press= Manual

The camera does actually observe the AF-C release priority setting w/ BBF, but only for the initial AF acquisition after powering on... after that, the requirement has been met until the camera is reset. TBH, I don't know if the camera going into standby resets it as well. The only way to observe this behavior is to be certain the AF system can't focus on *anything* before you ever activate it.
    The newer Nikons w/ the 153pt system have an additional setting buried in the menu that allows you to change that. But it's not where you might think, it's a secondary setting for the AF-On only (BBF) option. If you set it to "out of focus release > disable," it disables the ability to focus/recompose with the AF-S/Manual Focus behaviors. I'm pretty certain this still isn't the AF-C priority setting (i.e. release/release+focus/focus+release),and is just a on/off type setting... there's no explanation in the manual.

7. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    So are you saying that if you set AF-C to focus so that it will (in theory) only take shots that are in focus this is ignored if you use BBF therefore it will just release the shutter regardless? Why have they done this, what's the benefit. If like me you set it to focus as you don't want a load of OOF shots (or the possibility of that) then I'd want that in all modes.

8. soupdragon

soupdragon

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I take it Nikons don't work like canon re half shutter button press.
    I set my canon to ai-servo and it constantly adjusts focus if I or the subject move when holding the shutter at half press.

It is possible I don't understand the question though.

9. sk66

sk66

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Yes and no... if you maintain the half press of the shutter button AF-C continues to operate. The other benefit of using BBF is that it prevents you from interrupting AF activation/tracking by inadvertently over-releasing the shutter button.

I use a remote release a lot, so I seldom ever use the AF-On only setting... what I wish the AF-On button could do is actually switch the camera into AF-C with the release button being in AF-S normally. I have the AF-on button assigned as AE/AF lock on my D5.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  10. sk66

sk66

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Because if they hadn't done that you couldn't use the AF-S and Manual focus behaviors for focus and recompose while using AF-C BBF.

Gil Bev likes this.
  11. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    D’oh of course :facepalm:

12. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Nikon do work like that too, but we’re discussing BBF (back button focussing) (y)

13. sk66

sk66

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    But that's also why they added the extra setting for the newer cameras, to address your concern.

However, IME setting AF-C to any kind of focus requirement can notably *reduce* the number of keepers when photographing action. There are a lot of times where the AF point get's off momentarily but the subject is still in focus/within the DOF... so it's kind of a tradeoff; have to sort through more OOF images in order to have the chance at more keepers, or less of both.

Gil Bev likes this.
  14. Mikechappers

Mikechappers

Edit My Images:
    No

Exactly this, I want the shutter to work when I press the button, not when the camera see's fit, for birds that is.

15. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    Pretty much saying the same thing that I said ;)

16. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'm suddenly liking the idea of a P&S camera :D

Mikechappers and snerkler like this.
  17. Kodiak Qc

Kodiak Qc

Name:
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Then, sorry Toby… language difficulties! :(

snerkler likes this.
  18. soupdragon

soupdragon

Name:
    Tony
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Now I know I don't understand.
    I can do bbf but can't get to grips with why.
    My camera continues to autofocus throughout burst shooting so what's the benefit of pressing two buttons as opposed to one?

I'm confused.com

19. snerkler

snerkler

Edit My Images:
    No
    With BBF you press and hold that to continuously AF and then press the shutter button to take the shot. If you don’t use BBF then the shutter half press focuses whilst full press takes the shot, just like every other digital camera I know (y)

20. Kodiak Qc

Kodiak Qc

Name:
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

Two different functions performed by two different buttons
    permit both functions to work independently from the other. :cool:

21. sk66

sk66

Name:
    Steven
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Depends on the camera/settings as to what is going on. If your camera has a dedicated AF-on button then the default behavior is that both the shutter release and the AF-on activate AF.

Back in post 86 I identified the primary benefit of BBF (AF-on only), IMO it is instant access to all three focus modes. Secondary benefits are that it prevents you from inadvertently interrupting AF/tracking should you over-release the shutter button (poor technique), and it separates exposure metering from AF function (depending on camera/settings).

Personally, I seldom ever use BBF. I tend to use AE/AF-lock instead (pressing a second button only when it's required)... but that's probably because I don't do a lot of event type photography.

22. SsSsSsSsSnake

SsSsSsSsSnake

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I'm guessing in the film days they didn't have BBF?

23. Phil V

Phil V

Name:
    Phil
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Here’s a thing, for most of my film days, I had no AF.

So I never associated a shutter button with AF. When I started using AF, I was frustrated by the shutter release having another function. My preference is to keep the shutter and AF as 2 distinctly separate functions, and BBF gives me just that.

gcgraphs and SsSsSsSsSnake like this.
  24. Kodiak Qc

Kodiak Qc

Name:
    Edit My Images:
    Yes

Right.

SsSsSsSsSnake likes this.