Possible good shot this morning

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
While in the park this morning, I saw a moment for a possible good photo. It was of a young lad with a fishing net ( little net on the end of a long cane) and a Jam Jar with string tied around it. He was peering in the water, net at the ready. It so reminded me , of myself as a youngster. I was about to take a photo instinctively, but immediately stopped. Could have been a good photo. But you just can't do that any more.

Why?

It's not my type of photography but if I saw an opportunity I'd take the shot and sod what folk think. If they get the wrong idea big deal, what they gonna do? Tell the police, fine go ahead, beat me up, don't think so. We're often too soft in standing up for our selves in this country.

This discussion comes up many times and taken from the OP's perspective which I must admit I have the same caution, thus will change the way our social history is recorded for edification of future generations.

In some ways I see this "enforced" change tragic!

It was a similar circumstance that lead me to buy my first AF Canon back 1989, at that time I was a Pentax user and missed a lovely shot of a youngster sniffing a flower. She had moved on by the time I had gained focus :(

Last edited:
That was the only interesting photo worthy shot of the morning, Ducks and Flowers gets a bit boring. I think I have a photo of every single Duck on the lake, and in triplicate .

If I'd been with my GF I might have taken the shot (she'd have filmed him with her iphone thingy) but if out by myself with my camera I wouldn't risk it, I've been called a pervert for merely walking and carrying a camera.

While in the park this morning, I saw a moment for a possible good photo. It was of a young lad with a fishing net ( little net on the end of a long cane) and a Jam Jar with string tied around it. He was peering in the water, net at the ready. It so reminded me , of myself as a youngster. I was about to take a photo instinctively, but immediately stopped. Could have been a good photo. But you just can't do that any more.

Because people could get the wrong idea, should not be the case of course ..

Then you get no sympathy from me... Just take the damned shot next time. Who cares what some "mumsnet" type would have thought. If the boy's parents said anything, just show them the photo and explain that you took it because it was a great image.

Last year I took some pics of geese around a young girl and her parents cos they were almost being mobbed.

The I approached the parents, showed them the pics on my screen and asked if it was OK for me to put them on Flickr?

I said if they were unhappy I would delete them there and then but they weren't worried at all.

And I've taken pics of my young grandnieces on swings etc and had no probs at all.

Most of the reported problems seem to be by the type of sniveller who is always looking for something to complain about and these "laws" provide the perfect opportunity.

CBL/25 May 2011/4159

https://www.flickr.com/photos/20926615@N05/sets/72157626806100434

Last edited:
Most of the reported problems seem to be by the type of sniveller who is always looking for something to complain about and these "laws" provide the perfect opportunity.

What laws?

Then you get no sympathy from me... Just take the damned shot next time. Who cares what some "mumsnet" type would have thought. If the boy's parents said anything, just show them the photo and explain that you took it because it was a great image.
He was on his own nobody about, he must have been about eleven or so. It could have freaked him out, he could of run screaming a strange man took a photo of me. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. Just that particular time was not appropriate.

He was on his own nobody about, he must have been about eleven or so. It could have freaked him out, he could of run screaming a strange man took a photo of me. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't. Just that particular time was not appropriate.
My instinct would have told me to take it, heck I lifted up a little boy the other week as he was looking up to me and my girls pressing doorbells in a DIY store and obviously wanted to press the button ;)

However only you were there and can read the situation, and I must admit when it is just you and the lad and you take a photo it could easily be misunderstood. If my daughter would come home from a dog walk and tell me that, I would go out and have a look to see what is going on. So yes, if it didn't feel right to take the shot then you've done the right thing.

Last edited:
However only you were there and can read the situation, and I must admit when it is just you and the lad and you take a photo it could easily be misunderstood. If my daughter would come home from a dog walk and tell me that I would go out and have a look to see what is going on. So yes, if it didn't feel right to take the shot then you've done the right thing.
It was just a really nice setting, you just don't seem to see that anymore. A lad with a fishing net, and a Jam Jar with string tied around it. A scene from the 70s, besides who eats Jam any more ? :)

It was just a really nice setting, you just don't seem to see that anymore. A lad with a fishing net, and a Jam Jar with string tied around it. A scene from the 70s, besides who eats Jam any more ? :)
Its still out there buddy! Likewise with little wooden 'sailingboats' and all sorts, or perhaps I'm living in a universal bubble :) Oh and I had some nice jam on a croissant this morning.

Its still out there buddy! Likewise with little wooden 'sailingboats' and all sorts, or perhaps I'm living in a universal bubble :) Oh and I had some nice jam on a croissant this morning.
Must be me looking in the wrong places :) . Oh I do have to confess, I did have a pot of strawberry Jam. Got it for the filling of a cake, never bothered to use it. Only binned the Jam last week, should have thrown the Jam, kept the Jar and got the missus to peer in the water holding the Jar with net. Hmmm, somehow I don't think that would have worked :rolleyes:

If a few more folk took that kind of shot then we would still see it! And perhaps encourage a few more kids outside?

Last edited:
I'd have taken the photo, spoken to the parent, (must have been one around?) offered them a copy if it came out well. I have some business cards printed with my website and contact details.

Conversation alleviates any fears, breaks down barriers. By not taking the image you've reinforced or supported this idea that it's wrong.

Here's one I took previously, posed it for a mum trying to take images on a camera phone that wasn't coming out.
148282806.jpg

Last edited:
I'd have taken the photo, spoken to the parent, (must have been one around?) offered them a copy if it came out well. I have some business cards printed with my website and contact details.

Conversation alleviates any fears, breaks down barriers. By not taking the image you've reinforced or supported this idea that it's wrong.

No did not see anyone about, kids do go out on their own at a young age.

I remember as a kid, I saw a few adults with cameras and never thought anything of it :)
It's not the kids who get worried, it's the Daily Mail/Express reading adults, who are convinced everyone else is an illegal immigrant benefit-claiming job-stealing left-voting paedophile.

It's not the kids who get worried, it's the Daily Mail/Express reading adults, who are convinced everyone else is an illegal immigrant benefit-claiming job-stealing left-voting paedophile.
:eek:

It's not always the adults and kids can be malicious little devils.

I was stood under a tree with my camera pointing straight up as I manually focused on a bud and it was perfectly obvious what I was doing, a few kids were going passed on bikes and one turned to me and said "Why did you take my photo?" It doesn't take much to fan the flames these days and there are too many people just looking for the chance to have a confrontation.

I'm not overly worried about being assaulted by a single adult as I'm quite fit and confident and I've had a bit of training... but the p**** accusation is an easy one to throw and people looking for a confrontation often aren't alone as if they were they wouldn't be so keen.

I just avoid the issue by making sure that if there's any chance of anything negative happening my camera is in its bag. For me it's just not worth it.

Last edited:

I totally sympathise with you on this one. I am similar, I find it difficult to be bold enough to take photos in the Street.

However, being bold or assertive can work very well for those, many of whom contribute here.

I accept I won't produce those great photos....

I concentrate on Saturn and the moon. They don't mind being photo'd at all.

Maybe a longer lens might work for you, such a shame to have missed a gem....

IMHO

Mj

You hear messages from other planets ???
Doesn't everyone? Maybe I should stop eating those special :jaffa: I found in the staff room.

You know, the ones in the tin hidden in a shoebox under a blanket on the top shelf in the locked cupboard.

This reminded me when i was laying on the ground taking some images of squirrels i had baited with some nuts.... I started to notice some weird and worried faces soon after.

Picture the scene, in a wooded area, 70-200 lens, (not the shortest), laying on the ground. From a distance the squirrels may not have been visible, however what i realised my lens was in fact pointed in the rough direction of a childrens play area.

no one confronted me or anything but i realised how people were cautions about what i was doing until they probably saw the squirrels i was taking shots of.

I've had a few problems in the past in parks when shooting Squirrels. The one close to me has a play park pretty close and i was actually stood with my back to it but a woman walked over and said "Why are you taking photos of kids ?", i replied "Well for a start i'm pointing the camera in the wrong direction and i have kids of my own if i wanted to take photos of better looking ones" She was not amused lol

Just not long come back from the same park, nothing worthy of a photo , apart from some lovely Blackberries :)

Back