Possible new computer

Edit My Images
Yes
I've got a wee bonus coming up soon so I've been toying with the idea of maybe upgrading the PC. I'll have about £300-£400 to spend on one.

The pc I have at present is Win7 64 bit, a core 2 6420 cpu@2.13ghz 4 gb ram Nvid geforce 210 one 250gb internal HD and one 1tb internal HD

Still not sure on whether to go for a mini tower thingy, I've seen fanless ones advertised or get the traditional type tower. I assume I might not get both HD's inside a mini tower depending on the model. I don't mind doing a self build, I've done them before.

Reason for the mini tower is the current pc sits on the floor to the right of my feet, it can't really go anywhere else because of power and phone socket connections and is too big to sit on top of the desk, besides it's ugly :) If I move it to the left then all the cables etc are visible looking like a intensive care unit and difficult to hide, even with cable tidy's. Occasionally it gets a bit rattly these days, and there are vents on the side of the tower which blows the cool air over my feet, sitting at the desk for a while gives me cold feet...well I'm getting on a bit these days. LOL

My main use is internet, Adobe Elements 9 Lightroom 3 and some web building. I don't play games, only games my grandkids play on it are from kids websites.
Wife is not happy if I get another desk as everything in this room is matching, furniture curtain etc...don't ask :shrug:
So happy campers should I get a new setup with a quieter box mini tower thingy and is it really worth upgrading what I've got or get a thick pair of socks and slippers :LOL:

I'm open to suggestions...remember it's a family forum :)

Worth upgrading? Yes.

Assuming you have a decent PSU, I';d upgrade the insides of the box (or get a new box - but the nice boxes will bow 10-20% of your budget.

i5-2500K
Z68 based motherboard
8G memory
and move win 7 to the new machine

Jobs a good un

What Andy said except use your own tower and alter the fan rotation so it ain't blowing on your feet but out the back of the case.

worst place for a computer is on the floor, sucks up all of the dust etc.

Should be fine under the desk though, it's where mines has always sat.

My wife's PC is under her desk too.

Mind you, I'm not scared to hoover them out, if they ever need it:LOL::LOL:

Computers on the floor do suck up all the dust and dog hairs - even if you don't have a dog! It is worth hoovering them out once every 6 months or so, by taking the side off the case (assuming it's not a laptop, of course) and getting all the gunge out - carefully. Check the heat sink baffles aren't blocked with crud too.

My Server sits on the floor for similar reasons to Frank. And I hate computers sitting on the floor! :bonk:

Back