post a photo of your desk/workspace!

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm having the small cellar in our cottage converted into an office over the next couple of months and need some inspiration as to how to deck it out, Its not huge, just enough space for a desk/chair, filing cabinet of some sort and a comfy chair.

What does your desk/workspace look like?

cellar at the minute
DSC_00562.jpg

I'm not posting an image because it's a tip at the moment but our dining room is kitted out as a study with book shelves on all 4 walls, a couple of cupboards, 2 under desk filing cabinets and kitchen work surface down one wall and across the corner.

Looking at your space I would be looking at converting the alcove into a cupboard and running a work surface the length of the room with filing cupboards underneath, allowing a couple of knee holes. You could do the same as me and go diagonally across the corner for the computer.

Allow for a lot more power points than you think you need though. I only allowed for two doubles when I wired the house. One of those has been swapped to a triple and the other has two 4 way surge protected extensions plugged in. I still have to swap leads around.

In hindsight I should have used one of the systems that allows you to clip in extra sockets along a length of bus bar.

Am planning on 8 double sockets scattered around and was thinking of maybe a frosted glass desktop. Was thinking of keeping all the walls white but have thought of maybe getting a graffiti artist to do something on one wall. The whole cellar is being damp proofed and I'm having an old cast iron radiator down there too.

Any suggestions on getting good broadband signal down there? I can just about pick up the wireless with my phone but I'm going to need some sort of booster in order to get full signal!

Am planning on 8 double sockets scattered around and was thinking of maybe a frosted glass desktop. Was thinking of keeping all the walls white but have thought of maybe getting a graffiti artist to do something on one wall. The whole cellar is being damp proofed and I'm having an old cast iron radiator down there too.

Any suggestions on getting good broadband signal down there? I can just about pick up the wireless with my phone but I'm going to need some sort of booster in order to get full signal!

Try these....http://www.ebuyer.com/product/185148
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150039

Internet via your electric sockets.;)

Did sort of similar here a few years ago. Turned the whole downstairs, which was originally the dining room and kitchen (which is actually the back end of the garage, converted by the previous owners).

1. The kitchen stripped out and wall removed into the old utility room:

My soon to be office (258-366) by Tom Holmes, on Flickr

2. Tidied up and pained with new window etc.

Painted! (286-366) by Tom Holmes, on Flickr

3. How it looked when finished and the first bits of kit put in.

Office Is Taking Shape (302-366) by Tom Holmes, on Flickr

....Just uploading some shots of how it looks now.

I would keep the walls white, with a small space it will make it look bigger, also frosted glass is good, I love my glass desks :)

desk.jpg

desk1.jpg

Where are the wires for the monitor?

Edit: ops I see it.

I think the monitor cables are hidden in the top shot - I can only see the keyboard cable.

(Have added pic from back to show monitor cables - recently decided to tuck them into the "cable tidy" in the stand after one of my persian cats managed to tug on a cable while walking under the table and nearly tip the screen over :eek: )

Wouldn't recommend this as inspirational lol
desk2.jpg

And I hope there's no amateur psychologists (or even worse, professional!) looking :)

multi.jpg

I've spent the best part of a year saving up and buying fairly decent LCD screens so that I could have more of the computer desk space to myself . . . only for the cat to take over . . . :shake: :LOL: :love:

chad%2Basleep%2Bon%2Bdesk.jpg

Wouldn't recommend this as inspirational lol
desk2.jpg

And I hope there's no amateur psychologists (or even worse, professional!) looking :)

That's what I call . . . "homely", true, it could use a woman's touch but other than that I can live with that . . .

. . . but the steel vice grip? Should I be worried? :cautious: :cautious: :cautious: :D

That's what I call . . . "homely", true, it could use a woman's touch but other than that I can live with that . . .

. . . but the steel vice grip? Should I be worried? :cautious: :cautious: :cautious: :D
I put it there for a reason, I'm just not sure what the reason was anymore and I've not got round to moving it!
Something to do with bending plastic to modify a Nebro tank, I think. Yeah, that rings a bell. Or something totally different, I tend to go off on tangents.

I'm pretty sure I don't want a woman's touch ;)

Only the clean and simple workspace will do for me
IMG_0280.JPG

Serious work takes place here.

IMG_0004.jpg

Casual browsing on another laptop in the lounge. Fully networked so i can access both machines from one another.

Personally i can not stand a cluttered workspace. Everything needs to be put away after work, even if i need it the next day.

Back