Post an Interesting Fact

Welcome to talk photography, where people can argue about anything.

Merry Christmas, peace and love.

Btw, we all know Coke invented Santa's red suit right? And Dickens invented the romantic notion of a white Christmas because of a freak of the climate when he was born? Oh and reindeer flying is something to do with magic mushrooms.

Did you know...

Many many years ago, when fisherman went to sea for weeks on end, they would naturally get 'lonely.'

They would catch the fish and gut them to clean them. If they caught skate they had to be careful because they have genitalia similar to humans, a penis and a vagina.

So, if the fisherman was feeling very lonely, he could use the female skate to fulfil his needs.

Hence the saying "Get your fu###ng skates on"

It doesn’t matter, as long as whosoever doesn't find it interesting says so! ;):D
Absolutely (y)
There are plenty of people on here that I don't find interesting, either but I don't have time to list them all :p

Anyway now we have all argued about nothing ...

The fingerprints of a koala are so indistinguishable from humans that they have on occasion been confused at a crime scene. ...

What's a koala doing at a crime scene??

Crime?

And haggis are now a protected species in case they go the way of the unicorn (y)

:D

Is that both species or just the anti-clockwise variant? Pretty sure I've seen them in Sainsbury's (but they're probably specially bred hybrids so not protected.)

Interesting fact...

St Patrick isn't a proper saint. He's never been canonized by the catholic church. (And he may have been Welsh!)

It would appear that a Californian company have gone all "Jurassic Park" and are seriously trying to hybridise an elephant/wooly mammoth. They are going to attempt to copy and paste DNA from mammoth genome into living elephant cell cultures (fibroblasts).
I suppose if it works, they will weaponise them and get them to invade Russia.

I suppose if it works, they will weaponise them and get them to invade Russia.
Sounds like a plan to me :D

Whipsnade zoo recently "lost" a White Rhino, and they are keeping the DNA.
Jurassic park also sprang to mind ...

An aging rhinoceros at ZSL Whipsnade Zoo has contributed to the conservation and care of her own species, even after her death. Tissue samples, taken at the post-mortem of a 40-year old, Southern white rhino named Clara, will be used for a wide range of veterinary research and conservation projects, including a bio-bank of live cells, designed to help protect the species against future extinction.

Did you know $30 of raw popcorn translates into $3000 in sales at movie theatre?

'Tain't? ;) :p

It's a fact ap fukt...

That the Gross and Net tonnages of a merchant vessel are not a weight but a calculated volume?

The Platypus lays eggs and also produces milk, so is therefore the only animal that can make its own Custard.
post #28 :)
The Platypus is one of the few animals that lays eggs and produces milk. ( true)

And therefore one of a select few that can make its own custard ( I'm not sure many do though)

Last edited:
Two other facts about the Platypus is that the bill is not hard like a bird, but soft and pliable, full of nerve endings. when hunting for food, the platypus closes its eyes, ears and nostrils searching for prey by the ultra sensitive bill. Male platypuses also have spurs similar to the fangs of a pit viper, these can inject a cocktail of poisons, four of which are unique to the animal. Being spurred, which has happened to researchers, leads to excrutiating pain

Being spurred by a cockerel isn't painless! But they (probably) taste better than platypuses!

Being spurred by a cockerel isn't painless! But they (probably) taste better than platypuses!
And they’re much quicker than you expect. You probably know they have killed their owners in cockfighting countries (when fitted with blades).

Quite right too!

Many many years ago, at a lecture, given by a pathologist,
basically a woman went to feed her chickens, slipped on the ice, fell, stunned / knocked herself unconscious.
They pecked her to death..
I've never trusted a chicken since. Unless it was coming out of the oven of course.

LOL, yer daft you! :p
Yep :)

Many many years ago, at a lecture, given by a pathologist,
basically a woman went to feed her chickens, slipped on the ice, fell, stunned / knocked herself unconscious.
They pecked her to death..
I've never trusted a chicken since. Unless it was coming out of the oven of course.

Actually a chicken coming out of the oven is possibly more likely to kill you that the average chook :)

Knot, one nautical mile per hour, as a measure of a vessels speed originated from the time when the method used was to tie a knotted rope, the knots were tied at a specified distance related to the length of a nautical mile, to a log of wood which was thrown of the stern of the ship. The elapsed time was measured using an hour glass and counting the numbers of knots which passed through the sailors hand until the sand had dropped into the lower glass.

This was later refined by using a specially shaped board.

Capon, a cockerel that has been gelded and fed on a rich diet such as porridge tastes even better

Last edited:
Capon, a cockerel that has been gelded and fed on a rich diet such as porridge tastes even better
And there was I thinking that's what Batman does before he goes to work

And there was I thinking that's what Batman does before he goes to work

There could be a connection — maybe the rumours about him & Robin are true ).

The '60s Robin allegedly had a special way of "autographing" and was well equipped to do so...

Adam West's book (Back to the Batcave) was a revelation!

The '60s Robin allegedly had a special way of "autographing" and was well equipped to do so...
Apparently Burt Ward's the only member of the original 60s Batman cast who's still with us, most of the original "Rogue's Gallery" of Batman baddies have been dead for years such as Frank "Riddler" Gorshin, Burgess "Penguin" Meredith and Cesar "Joker" Romero (Actually I think he's still with us, just really old)

There are more individual nematodes on Earth than there are individuals of all other animals combined.

The following is from the Wikipedia page on them -

"They represent 90% of all animals on the ocean floor.[22] In total, 4.4 × 1020 nematodes inhabit the Earth's topsoil, or approximately 60 billion for each human, with the highest densities observed in tundra and boreal forests.[23] Their numerical dominance, often exceeding a million individuals per square meter and accounting for about 80% of all individual animals on earth,..."

Dave

Back