Post an Interesting Fact

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
The Basque language is unrelated to any current language.

Let’s see some interesting facts here.

Male barnacles have the largest penis proportional to its body size in the animal kingdom. It can reach up to 50 times the length of the barnacles’ body.

The Eskimos may have 50 words for snow but the Scots have over 400.......

The magnetic field of a magnetar(a neutron star with a very powerful magnetic field) is so strong it could, at a distance of half way to the Moon, wipe the magnetic information from all credit cards on Earth.

Dave

Last edited:
Swedish meatballs originated from a recipe King Charles XII brought back from Turkey in the early 1800s.

The magnetic field of a magnetar(a neutron star with a very powerful magnetic field) is so strong it could, at a distance of half way to the Moon, wipe the magnetic information from all credit cards on Earth.

Dave
If only it would wipe my credit file too...

Dave
Nobody would bother worrying about their credit cards when they realized the gravity of the situation. :runaway:
Earth would be the loser in a giant game of conkers.

There are more possible variations of chess games than there are atoms in the observable universe. This is known as the Shannon Number and represents all of the possible moves. It is estimated there are between 10111 and 10123 positions (including illegal moves). If you rule out illegal moves that number drops dramatically to 1040 moves.

Compared to the Asian game of Go, Chess is easy. Go has more than 10170 moves making it a googol times more complicated and varied than Chess.

Source: https://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk...er-of-atoms-universe-or-number-of-chess-moves

Last edited:
When I was at school in the 1970's, we were always taught that the first jet powered aircraft to fly was the Whittle designed Gloster E28 in 1941. However it was only the fourth jet to fly after the Heinkel HE178 in 1939, Camproni Campini in 1940 and the Heinkel HE280 in 1941.

Fact: History is written by the victors.

The first ship to successfully use morse code in an emergency was the East Goodwin lightship, in 1899.

Note - the forum software doesn't support superscript numbers so they're displayed in brackets i.e. 10 to the power of 111.
MOD EDIT: It does now. (y)

Thank you. :banana:

The Platypus is one of the few animals that lays eggs and produces milk. ( true)

And therefore one of a select few that can make its own custard ( I'm not sure many do though)

Last edited:
Jumping spiders can jump up to 50x their own length.

The Himalayan Jumping spider, Euophrys omnisuperstes, is on top of the world. Its scientific name translated means 'standing above everything'. This spider who resides within the Himalayan mountain range is possible the best contender for the title of 'highest known permanent resident on the planet'.

That's some jump. ;)

They are also to be found at higher altitudes than other living creature.

I don't know if this counts as it is not on the ground but, a Ruppell's vulture struck an aircraft at a bit over 11,000 metres.

Dave

I don't know if this counts as it is not on the ground but, a Ruppell's vulture struck an aircraft at a bit over 11,000 metres.

Dave
Being pedantic I’d say it’s more likely the aircraft struck the vulture - either that or it was bloody hungry!! :D

Back