post processing

Gary

TPer Emeritus
Name
See above
Edit My Images
No
now, i normally prefer not to do any post processing at all.. i like my photos to 'tell the truth' as it were :)

but i thought i'd try a little post processing on a few of my old photos.
let me know if you think they work, or if they are over the top

gp0656.jpg

gp0657.jpg

gp0658.jpg

gp0659.jpg

gp0660.jpg

Some of them it's hard to tell there's any PP at all so you've done well there. The only two that look obvious to me are the first one which might not tell the truth but still makes for a nice looking image and the red alfa which I guess has had a saturation boost and looks great for it IMO.

Kev

all i've done really is some saturation adjustments on some of the colours. i think the alfa does look over done. hopefully the others are a little more subtle.
i need more practice (and maybe a book :) )

Awesome set of photos, i love them all :love:

They don't look overdone at all, imo try a HDR version of no.5.

That Aston is pure sex :banana: :woot: :hug: (y)

You've done a good job with these IMO. The cars really pop. I agree the Alfa has gone a bit far but not much. I do like to see bold colours in motorsport pics though. My favorite is the BMW F1, just right that one (y)

Agreed, try it again just boosting the saturation in the red channel and see if that helps. If not and you have to boost all colours then it'll be a masking/erasing job.

Great shots you have there, well done. (y)

Great shots, prob the best i have seen from you, remember all shots need some form of sharpening and processing in general

They're all great photos (y) . I really love the 1st one, except the green background (grass :thinking: ) looks a little too blurred if you know what I mean - almost like you've used the smudge tool, maybe not :shrug:
Nice shots :)

I would be well pleased with those mate.;)

As for the PP, Nothing I wouldnt have done to give them some punch too..(y)

Hi, I think the Alfa is bang on, perfect motion bur on the background and pin sharp on the car, wheels are nicely blurred out as well. The LM is slightly OOF and the Aston could do with a tad of contrast but overall they're sweet.

cheers
iain

try a HDR version of no.5.

NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! please no ;)

Motorsports should be strictly a HDR free zone :)

Nice shots though, I quite like the Alfa the way it is

Excellent no one is left in any doubt that they are travelling at speed, maybe a little to much red sat on the alfa but I think it is still an excellent photo, the blur in the 1st one slightly spoils a great shot but they are some of the best circuit racing shots I,ve seen

You have managed to create te loo that all the magazines like with your PP so well done and i must say i kinda like the Alpha pic, i don't think t isover the top, just eye catching.

try a HDR version of no.5.

Impossible anyway! You'd need 3 images to create an HDR. You would be able to extend the dynamic range though with a little work but HDR is not suited for sports photography

All great shots you got there, really like the Alfa one.

I am of the view that you shouldn't edit pictures in any software package, I like to get good comments on pictures i took rather than good comments for a picture i edited in photoshop to make it look good.

to be honest, i 100% agree with you
i dont even crop them normally. if they arent properly in frame i delete them
just thought i'd do a bit of experimenting and see what feedback i get.

'if they arent properly in frame i delete them'

you can't be serious!!...if the shots in focus...never...ever del an image.....one day you will regret it.

cheers
Iain

'if they arent properly in frame i delete them'

you can't be serious!!...if the shots in focus...never...ever del an image.....one day you will regret it.

cheers
Iain

the way i see it is that i'm still learning. during my learning period i think its a bad idea for me to use photos i consider poor. if i keep using photos that are poor and correct them with PP then i'll just get lazy. I need to develop the skill to get the photo right in the first place

I'm with Iain. We'd be kidding ourselves if we thought pro's never cropped or PP'd with film.

I'm with Iain. We'd be kidding ourselves if we thought pro's never cropped or PP'd with film.

I'm with Ross. I want comments about my photography skills not my photoshop skills (although in this thread i wanted comments about my photoshop skills, so thats a bit of a contradiction, but you get the idea LOL)

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying it should be all down to PP because the more you get right in camera the less you have to do in PP. But PP is no less a necessity now as it was with film except now everbody does it themselves instead of getting a lab to do it.

Guys, I totally understand your logic in what you are saying but....all the Pros do it, theres always some sort of PP done to most images. You should keep them even for the meta data for ref.....one day someone will want it or you'll want it to compare your work now and then.

If its focused, I never del anything...and don't chimp and del either at a race, event ....I learned a lesson early on...I del an image of a player as I thought it was'nt to too good and a story came up on him and I got a call....I did'nt have it...I lost the sale.

cheers
Iain

Back