Post your Brighton workshop images here!

Makes me want to move to Brighton!

This is by far the best photo in this tread (IMHO) though you need to crop a bit more off the top. Very nice use of window light.

Unfortunately it is also a demonstration of why light skiming is not all that desirable in some portrait situations.

still lots to learn..can you please explain light skimming:shrug:

Thanks for your comments Pete! :D

He! he! thanks for the compliment LP ... but I was thinking the opposite! :LOL:

Dave, as far as Im aware 'light skimming' means when the light skims across the subject and brings out its textures, so not particularly flattering for womens portraits ... especially 'older' women ;)
We werent really considering that at the time though were we, just there to learn techniques and to practice with whoever was at hand! :D

still lots to learn..can you please explain light skimming:shrug:

InaGlo pretty much has it right on. As the light skims across the surface of a subject it brights out the textrues on the surface, in this case the skin. In this situation you should turn the subject so that she is facing the window, and you can shoot between the window and the subject to reduce the amount of skin detail.

Light skiming is a technique you can use very effectvely in macro and product photography, especailly in the studio where you can control the light direction.

He! he! thanks for the compliment LP ... but I was thinking the opposite! :LOL:

Dave, as far as Im aware 'light skimming' means when the light skims across the subject and brings out its textures, so not particularly flattering for womens portraits ... especially 'older' women ;)
No problem there for you then InaGlo as you only look somewhere around 21'ish :) (hoping flattery will get me everywhere)

I like the portrait :)

A couple more from me....

Paul (Grendel)

Paul2.jpg

Dave (Starrider)

Dave.jpg

Bev and Bronica

Bevs-hands.jpg

That's a great capture of Dave there Carole :). It's a very "Dave" expression (y) If I'd known I was going to be photographed by so many people on Sunday I'd have had a shave lol

another one from my weekend glamour shoot,
a very sultry looking Glo...

IMG_7752.jpg

and Alan, absorbed in the conversation...

IMG_7779.jpg

scary picture (of a very nice man!)...

IMG_7830.jpg

Nice set there Steve :clap: I really like the one's of Alan and Beverley - both really nice natural shots and the compostion works really well. Fantastic rim light on the shot of Dave too (y)

PMSL at the last one of you :LOL: that's the shot we were talking about iirc, you really were a spaced out dude back then :D

This is actually one of my favorites that I took. The beautifully photogenic Glo.......

Glo.jpg

:)

Cheers grendel - you know, i didn't take a single shot of Glo - no reason other than overwhelmed at what I was trying to take in all weekend ! You seem to have taken one better than anything I could have come up with, as with your picture of Bev, who is a beautiful lady too (like you don't know..)
As for being a spaced out dude - some things don't change, eh ?

Gonna look into a venue out here as soon as I get time !
Cheers
Steve

Right, here's a few from me. I rather wish I had taken a few more now, or at least got around a greater number of subjects.

Dave:
DSC7618.jpg

Bev:
DSC7614.jpg

Bev:
DSC7612.jpg

Bev:
DSC7610.jpg

Bev:
DSC7600.jpg

Paul:
DSC7557.jpg

Paul:
DSC7548.jpg

Paul:
DSC7538.jpg

Nice set there Steve :clap: I really like the one's of Alan and Beverley - both really nice natural shots and the compostion works really well. Fantastic rim light on the shot of Dave too (y)

Seconded there, both lovely shots Steve.

I've been hugely impressed by the standard across the whole group, you all got some really great photos over the weekend.

All I need now is a few more victims to practice on!

I'm kind of glad I never went to this :eek:

Some fantastic work (y)

Glo......I hope that pier didn't collapse after you broke wind :eek:

Bev......love the tattoo on your shoulder :)

Well done people! Looks like you all had a good time too. :)

I cannot believe you all went on a photo outing to Brighton and ended up Photographing each other - you should all be shot!
Aaaaaaarrrggghhh!!!!!

It looks like a great time was had by all and some nice shots here! (y)

How about that Inaglo though?.... top totty!! :nuts:

I guess I'm a bit biased but I absolutely love that shot of Beverley Dave :love:

Lmao at you CT ... the cheque is very definately in the post! ;)

I really like that one of Bev too Dave, it has a real dreamy feel, what processing did you do?

From Lightroom to 16 bit tiff..the rest done in photoshop with a little airbrushing..
im pleased with the way it turned out too:clap:

Starlings flocking over West Pier
DSC7515.jpg

OK, so it's not a portrait, but it is from that weekend.

So, I am now trying to take in and use a few of the things I learnt (as many as a few eh..?) - here are a couple of Kate taken yesterday, as we watched yet more rain..

kate_1.jpg

Kate_edit_1.jpg

Again, the general standard of the pictures shown so far is amazing - we truly are a talented bunch !!

that second shot in particular is excellent Steve. Just a bit of window light coming from the left yeah?

Glo - she is 8 years younger than me, so she won't thank you for that - and, are you comparing her to the picture of me I posted earlier in this thread..???
John - you got it !

Anyone noticed a lack of input from our illustrious teacher....
Maybe she forgot to load the film, or maybe she has been outshone by the pupils......

Maybe she'll be skulking around in the background, afraid to show her face...

Hey, its easy to be brave when not face to face with the whip-cracker..!!

(actually, I think she is flying back today, so hope the flight is ok, enjoy being home when you get there, and I am fully prepared to be humiliated by you soon.)
Cheers CJ, and while I am here, what about the next one ???

I could use a few ideas from anyone interested in a possible workshop out here in Spain. Would you be interested, and if so, in what - coming out for a holiday with family, just a few days for a workshop, hiring a car or just staying in one place and do you want to be out in the wilds or in a town/sea-side place ?
It would be good to hear what you think, as it will affect the type of place I look for.Aslo, when ? Easter is early next year, making flights expensive, but if using the workshop as a holiday for the family, school holidays need to be thought about.
I guess this will need a thread of its own later, but for now, and input about what you would like to see will help me gather a few possible locations, and then we can start to formulate a plan - that said, CJ may not want to meet any of us again.... (Ok, may not want to meet me again..)

Yeah Steve..would love to do something over there in Spain...be nice to meet up again(other members as well)..
am off in your direction on Monday..few days in Barcelona,just me and me camera

Those are two great shots of Kate, Steve. If you don't mind me saying so, I think in the first one it would have been better to have pulled her back a foot or so from the window so as to not get the frame in the frame, if you see what I mean :thinking: The second one is marvelous - great use of everything CJ taught us imo. Shame she had to whip you quite so much before it sunk in :LOL: You seemed to enjoy it though :clap:

Beverley and I would love to come over for a Spanish workshop, or indeed, some sight-seeing and well structured drinking in the evenings ;). As much as I like the idea of bringing the family I wonder if child care might be a bit of a problem if we combine it with a workshop :shrug: I'm happy to go with the flow tbh but definately up for something in Spain (y)

Back