Posting Films

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm looking for wisdom and advice - I assume I'm in the right place!:LOL:
How do you package up your films when posting them, and what service do you use?

I ask because for the first time since using film (that's in the last 30 months or so) I've had a film go astray in the Royal Mail. This was a bit unusual in that it was only one film in the envelope (I normally send 3 or 4 at a time) and although I sent it at the local Post Office, first class, I forgot to ask for Proof of Postage - for the first time that I can remember.
The envelope was the flimsy plastic bag that Snaps Photos (Bournemouth) supply, which self seals.
I'm 99.99% sure that the failure is at Royal Mail's door rather than the local Post Office or Snaps.

So - What packaging do you use (box / envelope)? Do you use signed for services? Do you use anything other than Royal Mail? Any other advice?

(Having a lot of untested cameras, I'm not totally gutted that this single B&W film has gone missing - I'm used to failed films from non-working cameras or bad lenses - I'm just a bit disappointed because I knew this Olympus Trip worked, but I was trying out a variety of filters.)

I send my film off to Peak Imaging, who use their own small boxes that fit in mailboxes. You can fit about 10 rolls of 35mm in them. They’re free post but I usually use 1st class signed for, if I’m sending a bigger batch/sending in sheet film I’ll use special delivery.

Sorry to read that, @MikeFromLFE . Is it definitely missing? I ask because if the RM postage is wrong (eg sent as Large Letter rather than Small Parcel), it can often take an extra week or so to get to its destination, and even then it depends on someone at destination being willing to pay the extra postage and re-charge you.

To answer the specific question, I send one or two 135 films in the sort of small plastic envelopes you describe, but (roughly) 3 or more films will go in a padded envelope, first class small parcel. I don't use signed for services.

I generally use padded envelopes from Poundland, and I think they're 5 or 6 for £1. They need to go small parcel size as Chris says, and this usually generates a receipt/proof of posting slip.

I send them all 2nd class signed for. Not had anything go missing yet. I'm sure there's no difference, but psychologically (i.e. in my head) the signed for bit tells the postie that someone cares where it's going, so there's less chance of it being "mislaid". It's worth the 70 odd p extra for my peace of mind.

Well I'm not saying do it my way......but I haven't had a problem yet re using small jiffy bags (and similar) that people have sent me. I just put no more than two films in and stick a 2nd class large letter stamp on, and it always gets to filmdev in not more than 3 days.
But not worried about cost or something valuable? then a small parcel signed for, even then I suppose it could get lost :rolleyes:

Guys, you can try all ways of sending,but,if you try to underpay the system you will eventually lose items and if you have no return address they will sit in some
area 51 type place in I think Northern Ireland and rot.

I sent 18 rolls off today in a large reused jiffy bag, doubled over and severely taped up.

I sent 18 rolls off today in a large reused jiffy bag, doubled over and severely taped up.
18 rolls? :eek: You'd have needed a new shoebox for that lot when we got prints made. ;)

18 rolls? :eek: You'd have needed a new shoebox for that lot when we got prints made. ;)

Mostly 120 with 5 rolls of 35mm and a disposable camera. Cornwall is a very scenic place......when it stops raining.

Had a message from Snaps saying that the film had turned up in Bournemouth with no explanation from Royal Mail, and no demand for extra payment.
So, it's a mystery, but all's well that ends well (or summat)

Thanks for the thoughts on postage.

Back