Power on problem (PC related)

Joe T

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

I have a problem with my Dad's PC. The last few times when he shut it down, it did not power off properly, and had to be manually shutdown by pressing and holding the power switch.

However, now it wont turn on at all!

We have checked the fuse in the plug, and that is ok. I'm not really too sure where to start next! It could well by the PSU and/or mobo. Can nayone give me some ideas of where to start diagnosing this?

Many thanks

System specs (as far as I can remember) are

Athlon XP2100+
Abit KX7-333R
2x256 Crucial RAM
AOpen H500A Midi Tower - 300W PSU
Samsung SP0802N 80GB
Running Windows XP Home

Thanks in advance for any help!

Joe

Sounds stupid but try disconnecting the monitor, then plug all the power leads back in and then the monitor and try to switch it on.

If the case is open and the machine is plugged into a live outlet are there any LEDs illumiated on the board?

Do a search on the motherboard, but i know on our Macs at work they have a reset button on the motherboard. This has the exact same symptons you describe. Once the reset button is pressed it powers up again.

Not sure if the PC motherboards have a similar feature.

Check the back of the psu for a fuse and have a look at it. Remember though that if it's blown it's a sign of a problem somewhere inside. fuses don't blow for no reason!.

It's quite possible the psu is faulty, they can go down in some pretty strange ways or seem to.

Can often be an earth in the box that stops the PC coming back on - so first remove the power cable and then put back in - then try pressing the on button - does anything "spark" up - any sounds and smells (lets hope not) - any sign of life?

If not take the monitor power plug out of the PC and try pressing on/off button again - any sounds? it should beep after a few seconds. - if it does sounds like the monitor has a short in it.

Hope this at least gets life into it...

Allan

I'd say the turning off problem was unrelated. Some dodgy driver or such that refuses to be unloaded.

Find the wires from the on/off switch to the mobo....pull the plug on that wire from the mobo so you see the pins. Short the pins together with a screwdriver - if nothing happens you have eliminated a faulty switch.

Power supplies are quite cheap and you can get a reasonable one for say £30 or less online. 300W is a bit lightweight so I'd be inclined to get a new one and try it.

Just seen your new post as I type - if power means a glowing led somewhere then i still think it may be the psu.

Then don't fit it for the sake of a quick test. sit it on top or beside the PC and just wire it in.

Basic fault finding first then to see if somethings stopping it.

Pull everything non essential and see if it powers up. No hdd no cards except graphics (even try without that...it should beep at you) etc...

Check the mobo for fuses. Do the mobo fans come on?

Well its in the hardware then rather than say a wiped BIOS.

Sounds like it'll either be something easy like a mobo fuse or a new mboard.

Well it's up to you how much you want to spend of course but don't write off the CPU and RAM just yet. I've got the same CPU and bought a new mobo in Feb. They are getting rairer but they are there.

I've got a couple of base units from my now closed down business. P4 1.7 with 256Mb ram geforce 2 MX cdrw and 30gig. Simply computers systemax brand. Price would be based on being a bit less than the going rate on ebay...whatever that is.

Xphome installed and working from new but licence stickers never made it on to the case as Simply were out of stock at the time and sent them later....and they were put somewhere safe (aka lost).

Let me know if its of any interest

Should do - but its ability to save settings would be nil, although aslong as its plugged in and powered that shouldnt be an issue.

If the motherboard is alive then the cpu fans will work at bare minimum. It does sound like a dead mobo.

Back