PP C&C (Lake District)

R

RobbieW

Hi

I am still making my way through all the photo's I took in the Lake District, looking through them I am thinking it will take me all year and beyond.

Below are 2 images of Wast Water the first is straight out the camera, and the second has had a little processing applied. I am very new to PP so would appreciate some comments about where I am going wrong, or what else I should do.

I did calibrate my screen using a Spyder at the weekend so hopefully they match what you see :shrug:

1. Unprocessed

1408590260_1e64f85d54_o.jpg

2. Processed

1408589966_2ce1dc3123_o.jpg

The processing has been, adjusting curves, levels and the contrast, with a little sharping applied as well.

Many thanks for your comments

Rob

Mod peeps - if this is in the wrong section, please move

I don't have a monitor calibration tool, but the second still seems pretty dark to me?

I think what you've done so far has worked well for the sky but there's an awful lot you could do to improve the foreground. It actually looks a bit cold at the moment - I'd be inclined to get some warmth into the shot, prob using Adjustments>Colour Balance. Also, the reflection could do with a bit of lightening

Nice shot and here is my take on it.

Straighten the horizon (1.86 degrees CCW)
Make a rough selection of the foreground (everything except the sky) and feather by 20 pixels on this version although you would probably want 150-200 on the original. Lighten this area using levels.
Use the dodge tool set to Shadows & 3% to slightly lighten the foreground bushes.
Added a Velvia type action I have to boost the colours slightly.

Velvia-Copy-1.jpg

Nice shot and here is my take on it.

Straighten the horizon (1.86 degrees CCW)
Make a rough selection of the foreground (everything except the sky) and feather by 20 pixels on this version although you would probably want 150-200 on the original. Lighten this area using levels.
Use the dodge tool set to Shadows & 3% to slightly lighten the foreground bushes.
Added a Velvia type action I have to boost the colours slightly.

No wonder I never get on with Photoshop - you're talking a different language there :)

Looks better IMHO, although the foreground looks a bit blurred now, or it could just be me :)

Here's my attempt Rob. Imo it looked way too cold so I've tried to warm it up and bring some brightness into the foreground

Lake%20District%20lo%20res.jpg

Ok, here's my attempt. Might have overdone it a bit?
Made a copy. Selected different parts and adjusted levels on each (individually). Straightened. Slightly tweaked saturation. Flattened layers. Sharpened.
There's a bit of rough selection around the mountains in the distance, but a bit more care would have sorted that out :shrug:

edit: oh and the edges of the mountain on the right look rough....oh well...I give up !

rwotton2.jpg

Rich :)

:) hello rwotton I liked your picture number 4 if you straighten the horizon as hacker did, then that would do it for me (y)

:) hello rwotton I liked your picture number 4 if you straighten the horizon as hacker did, then that would do it for me (y)

Now I am confussed, i only posted 3, which one did you mean?

Back