PP Critique

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys. I've finally weened myself off of the GIMP and started using CS3 a bit more. ( I know, I know... I was just more used to the GIMP hehe ) Anywho, I've been playing around with smoothing skin and whatnot and just wanted to get some feedback on this test image.

Thanks in advance for any tips. (y)

DSC_3816-Edit.jpg

I would say that you've gone too far as it's starting to look like a painting and very false. The whites of the eyes especially look painted on. I don't know how Gimp works but you could try adjusting the opacity of your smoothing layers (if you can).

I think the whites of the eyes look particularly false. Although the skin has obviously been smoothed it doesn't actually look all that smooth to me, especially her forehead and around her mouth :(

Sorry, not trying to be negative, just honest :)

Hmmm, its taken on an a sort of 70's retro art feel, which is excellent if that is what you wanted, but if not, would perhaps start again using a little bit more subtlety with your application. However, you are going in the right direction, but this kind of touching in does need a bit of practice to get that flawless yet natural look ;)

Thanks for comments guys. I though I might have gone a bit OTT on the eyes.. Will rework that. And will definitely work on my skin smoothing technique.

LL, I wasn't specifically going for a 70's look, but I was going for something rather than the norm... Maybe I hit the 70's without meaning to which is fine with me. lol.

Thanks again guys.

One technique that's used to soften skin tones,is to duplicate the background layer. Then apply softening to this layer, using blur, such as Gaussian.

Now to this layer and a mask to the layer. (Click on the icon that's a circle within the square in the layers pallet.) Now with the foreground colour set to black, now select the brush tool and simply paint around the eyes, teeth etc, to remove the sharpening from that area.

One technique that's used to soften skin tones,is to duplicate the background layer. Then apply softening to this layer, using blur, such as Gaussian.

Now to this layer and a mask to the layer. (Click on the icon that's a circle within the square in the layers pallet.) Now with the foreground colour set to black, now select the brush tool and simply paint around the eyes, teeth etc, to remove the sharpening from that area.

Aye. :) That's the process I used. Still fine tuning it though I guess. Hehe.

Back