Practice makes perfect.

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
Last night I got some old spoiled film out and my developing tank.

Sat with eyes closed and practiced the load up procedure before I have a run at the real thing.
Last time I loaded a tank was 1998! So thought a practice was called for, but as it turned out, its like riding a bike, got on and a few wobbles later proficient again.

I even used the very old Courage bottle opener, we used this before (Dad and I) and I kept it when he passed away for a keep sake,
so pleased I did as its a good film opener, always was and somehow Dad is still involved.

Just need the change bag to arrive now and ready to process some B&W film again :)

IMG_1802.JPG

Sat with eyes closed and practiced the load up procedure before I have a run at the real thing.
Last time I loaded a tank was 1998! So thought a practice was called for, but as it turned out, its like riding a bike, got on and a few wobbles later proficient again.

I even used the very old Courage bottle opener, we used this before (Dad and I) and I kept it when he passed away for a keep sake,
so pleased I did as its a good film opener, always was and somehow Dad is still involved.

Just need the change bag to arrive now and ready to process some B&W film again :)

View attachment 294844

Enjoy...everyone should have a changing bag, mine is about 50 years old and even use it now as the other day I wasn't sure the battery camera wound the film back completely so put the camera in the bag to check.

My old bag got thrown out when the rubber tubes that kept it semi rigid started leaking through the material that was supposed to contain them. Not leaking air, the rubber itself!

View attachment 294844
I always used an opener like that on my 35mm film canisters, we still have some in a draw somewhere, I think the ones we had came free with those Party 4 and Party 7 tins of beer (now who of a certain age doesn't remember those! It wasn't a party in the 70s without someone turning up with one of those and putting it next to the 'grapefruit hedgehog' dispensing cocktail sticks loaded with cheese and pineapple! ).

Last edited:
My old bag got thrown out when the rubber tubes that kept it semi rigid started leaking through the material that was supposed to contain them. Not leaking air, the rubber itself!

rubber tubes? My changing bag is some sort of black cloth with elastic arm holes to grip your wrist...mind you the elastic has lasted well after so many years.

Enjoy...everyone should have a changing bag, mine is about 50 years old and even use it now as the other day I wasn't sure the battery camera wound the film back completely so put the camera in the bag to check.

Think my best Phago changing bag must be a little older than that as it was second-hand when I bought it off a mate in school 50 years ago. Still better than several more recent ones (they have waterproof coated nylon outer) as the fabric breathes so unless it is really hot don't have sweat problems when loading film.

Party 7 is back.... apparently it's been reinvented as a craft beer and is available now.

Party 7 is back.... apparently it's been reinvented as a craft beer and is available now.
If it tastes anything like the original stuff then I'll draw the retro line at the grapefruit hedgehog! ;)

Their tagline is ' we're back and we taste totally different ' although it doesn't say better....

Watneys three canned varieties are Slapstick, a 7.5 per cent double strength IPA, craft lager Irony, and Sarcasm, a pale ale.

Nick said: “We’re modern and relevant and have a business model to make Watneys a key brand.”

They missed a trick by not calling it Party 6, given the current restrictions...
Watneys three canned varieties are Slapstick, a 7.5 per cent double strength IPA, craft lager Irony, and Sarcasm, a pale ale.

Nick said: “We’re modern and relevant and have a business model to make Watneys a key brand.”
@Alan White please note that these chemicals are only to be used AFTER your film has been successfully developed and is hanging up to dry. :whistle: ;)

Sorry to go off topic, but as far as changing bags go, I was developing films for years before I got one. It was under the bedclothes at night for my tank loading.

And on bottle openers, I'm glad I stopped using 35mm film just after the point at which these new style cassette came in. I'm more used to the ones where you slit the paper with a fingernail and pull the top off. Reusable after that.

rubber tubes? My changing bag is some sort of black cloth with elastic arm holes to grip your wrist...mind you the elastic has lasted well after so many years.

Mine was "collapsible" to save space when out and about (Dad used to use it for reloading plate holders) and had an inflatable rubber frame to give it some volume. Mum had replaced the elastic "cuffs" but when the frame went, so did the bag!

Used whichever bottle opener came in sight first. That was only if I'd forgotten to leave the leader out though.

It's always a mistake to mention anything to do with booze on an F&C thread and expect it to remain on topic! ;)

Best of luck with developing that first film, I'm tempted to do this again (my last time was about 40 years ago) and still have my Paterson System 4 tank just like yours, plus a deeper one to do two rolls of 35mm using two spirals or a roll of 120. All I need now are the chemicals and the time, oh, and chance to shoot a worthwhile roll of B&W might help too!

Anyway, don't forget to keep us updated and post the results when you've done the film. (y)

And if you want to develop a few more, see my giveaway in the classifieds...

Well a report back, all went well, even after a very long lay off, very much just went to plan.
4 strips of negatives all dry and trimmed up, ready to scan over the weekend.
I have proven I can develop my own film and that my new to me ME Super has no light leaks.

IMG_1728.JPGIMG_1811.JPG
IMG_1813.JPG

Back