Pre loaded LF film holders ...... Cold Storage

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
So I'm fully aware of how to cold store film, however I've never attempted to store my 5x4 Film holders pre loaded with sheet film in the fridge or freezer.

Is it possible to do without concern of water droplets( condensation) forming on the inside of the holder and/ or on the film ?

Also will it have any effect on the foam where the darkslide enters?

I would not risk it. It is sure to end in tears.
Far too bulky compared to a box of film anyway.
They are so easy to load and unload you can always put the unexposed film. back in the box.
However you need to leave film for 24 hours, before opening the sealed box and outer sealed poly bag. To be sure the temperature has stabilised.

You need to do this for both a fridge and freezer stored stock.

Last edited:
I don't have enough film holders to be able to store them in the freezer.

So the unopened boxes of film come in hermetically sealed sachets, primarily to guarantee condition at the point of opening. Film holders are not in any way sealed apart from light sealing, which is clearly not the same thing. I would not store loaded holders in the freezer unless you can insure a very low humidity container for raising the temperature in: cooling them down is fine, but warming them up again is the issue. The problem is less pronounced when warming from fridge temperatures, A) because the temperature differential is reduced, but B) more fundamentally, you’re likely much closer to the dew point when removing from the fridge to air, so you’re likely to warm to above this point before significant condensation forms.

If I had to guess, the foam would likely survive unaltered. Freezers aren’t *that* cold. Again, the issue is condensation when warming everything up.

Back