Preferred Portrait Settings

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
No right or wrong answers here, just wondering peoples favorite portrait settings?
Natural light?
Shutter priority?
Aperture priority?
ISO?
Shooting mm preferences? Just trying to try different styles for my first shots of my baby. Obviously trying my own stuff, but always willing to try others favorites.

just wondering peoples favorite portrait settings?

I use to have all 4 shooting menus with different settings.
One of them called Wildlife is, strangely enough, the only
one I use… for almost everything on location.

Manual, Auto WB, Auto ISO, BBF, Matrix, keeping control
of the SS, the ƒ stop, and the EV compensation.

Aperture priority for me, keep iso low as I shoot with a crop sensor, point focus on nearest eye, natural light plus reflector, use exposure compensation to get the skin tone right, slight over exposure and wide aperture to clean up the background a bit, and as my 'model' has a wonderful 'dusky maiden' skin color that she always wants to be lighter, some desaturation in pp.

Natural light?
Shutter priority?
Aperture priority?
ISO?
Shooting mm preferences?
None of these matter except the first. Obviously lighting is the single most important thing in any photograph, but how you do it is completely down to personal preference.

Onr thing you didn't mention was perspective, which is related to - but not the same as - the choice of focal length. Too many people take portraits too close - as with selfies - and the results are rarely flattering.

Back