Premiere Pro CC - Help Please !

Edit My Images
No
I really hope there is someone that can help me with this as it's driving me mad.

I am editing 4K footage taken with a DJI Mavic, I do my colour grading etc and play back in Premiere CC 2017 and everything looks great.

However, when I export it the quality is not as good... it looks like slightly lower res, textures flickering in patches like a poor quality jpg.

I've tried various settings but not getting the results I want, interstingly I get better output from Filmora than Premiere but don't want to use Filmora as it doesn't have the features that I want for colour grading etc etc.

Here's the settings on the export, it's pretty much match to source from what I can see.. maybe it's the codec but that the only one I can see that gives me proper 4K

prem.jpg

Any help would be appreciated!

Problem solved, the bitrate was low and I assume that would have been also syned to source

Why are you outputting 4k? The selected bitrate is suitable for 1080p.

rough guide for 24fps:
HD/1080p= 10Mbps
2k/1440p= 20Mbps
4k/2160p= 40Mbps

Thanks that's quite useful.

I'm outputting in 4K as what I'm recording is in 4K and I'd like to that for most occasions.

When I posted I had solved it I had increased the bitrate to 60 whoch is what the Mavic recorded it in.

So much to learn about video :)

I'm outputting in 4K as what I'm recording is in 4K and I'd like to that for most occasions.

When I posted I had solved it I had increased the bitrate to 60 whoch is what the Mavic recorded it in.

You're not the only one. Just got my Mavric and now venturing outside the comfort zone of lightroom and in the minefield of Davinci Resolve.

Been watching YouTube tutorials all day. My head hurts.

It's only of benefit if shown at full resolution on a 4k monitor/screen... for most general uses 1080p (HD) would probably be preferable due to smaller file sizes.

BTW, those bit rates are approximate minimums... the more (faster) motion there is in the video the higher it needs to be, up to ~ 50% increase. I.e. 4k with some fast motion sequences, set min to 40 and max to 60 for variable bitrate progressive scan (2160p) output.

You're not the only one. Just got my Mavric and now venturing outside the comfort zone of lightroom and in the minefield of Davinci Resolve.

Been watching YouTube tutorials all day. My head hurts.

Hehe have fun with the Mavic, great little drone, I am going to get a Phantom 4 Pro soon though as I've now got the Drone/Video bug :) I used to do quite a bit with Video & Premiere but that was years ago on Digital tapes and I've pretty much forgotten everything, lol

It's only of benefit if shown at full resolution on a 4k monitor/screen... for most general uses 1080p (HD) would probably be preferable due to smaller file sizes.

BTW, those bit rates are approximate minimums... the more (faster) motion there is in the video the higher it needs to be, up to ~ 50% increase. I.e. 4k with some fast motion sequences, set min to 40 and max to 60 for variable bitrate progressive scan (2160p) output.

Thanks, I've checked the Youtube recommendation which I guess is a good guide for them : https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

I really want to keep everything 4K as I have 4K/5K Monitors, TV's etc but I did do a 1080p for a freind earlier as 4K would be wasted on what he wanted/needed.

Change to frame blending too. Bitrate makes a huge difference to file sizes, I usually set on 30 for youtube which is on the low side but looks OK - 0nly 0.4mb up so anything over 1GB to upload gets silly.
When recording with Mavic, the second 4K setting 3840 x 2160 is closer to 16:9 but the full size version does allow more cropping

Last edited:
Change to frame blending too. Bitrate makes a huge difference to file sizes, I usually set on 30 for youtube which is on the low side but looks OK - 0nly 0.4mb up so anything over 1GB to upload gets silly.
When recording with Mavic, the second 4K setting 3840 x 2160 is closer to 16:9 but the full size version does allow more cropping

Thanks, whats the difference between frame sampling and frame blending? they both say the same when I hover the pointer over them.

On your Mavic do you tend to record in NTSC or PAL, I've been doing PAL but think I may switch.

I use the NTSC to get 30fps rather than 25 which is proably a bit smoother especially when turning.
I think frame blending just looks less jittery especially if shutter speed is on the high side wich is often the case.
Like other things the difference is rather subtle but every little improvement helps when what you started with is of modest quality.

Just saw this - the first thing I looked at was your bitrate. Nice to see you sussed it yourself :D

Back